[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

19 hours ago, AVaughan said:

For antenna range I always use a google spreadsheet.

Well, IMHO a game internal solution that uses the numbers the antennas provide when the game save is loaded and all patching was done is better.

And those spreadsheets are not made for every possible planet pack and/or rescaling scenario.

6 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Well, IMHO a game internal solution that uses the numbers the antennas provide when the game save is loaded and all patching was done is better.

And those spreadsheets are not made for every possible planet pack and/or rescaling scenario.

I think Antenna Helper would help:

For the next update I want to re-do what the 'default' layout of KER is for new installs, preferably actually using the 'preset' system. If anyone has what they think is a sweet looking and useful setup, I'd like to see a screenshot for inspiration. Thanks.

While you're at it, it might be beneficial to bake the contents of SectionLibrary.xml into the save game file. My own layout is heavily customized, as most of the default information in the HUD is presented in my control panel LCDs. I am grateful for the updates, but having to redo the customization every time is rather tedious (I only this morning found out where the information was stored).

A small note: I use a UI scale at about 1.2, and in the VAB/SPH the rescources readout in the bottom left is slightly overlapping the angle snap icon. I remember having found the relevant config somewhere, but cannot relocate it now. Can you shed light on this?

EDIT: In the former builds, there used to be a BuildOverlay and BuildAdvanced xml files, but now they are gone?

Suggestion for HUD display: I always add dV (Current/Total), and I think most others would like that information at a glance as well.

Edited by Freshmeat
Digging around.

12 hours ago, jrbudda said:

For the next update I want to re-do what the 'default' layout of KER is for new installs, preferably actually using the 'preset' system. If anyone has what they think is a sweet looking and useful setup, I'd like to see a screenshot for inspiration. Thanks.

Here's a screenshot of mine for a 2K monitor. Left to right you've got:

• Performance readout
  • Orbital information
  • Surface information
  • Search bar - this makes it really easy to switch between craft.
  • The spot above the navball is reserved for either the landing readout or a rendezvous readout depending on what I need. 

I can also shoot over my whole Settings folder later today when I get in front of my gaming machine.

If you're going to give people options it would be really cool to have choices for various monitor configurations. If you'd like I'd be happy to work with you on building them :)

QBa5VU0.png

Edited by Tyko

8 hours ago, Freshmeat said:

While you're at it, it might be beneficial to bake the contents of SectionLibrary.xml into the save game file. My own layout is heavily customized, as most of the default information in the HUD is presented in my control panel LCDs. I am grateful for the updates, but having to redo the customization every time is rather tedious (I only this morning found out where the information was stored).

A small note: I use a UI scale at about 1.2, and in the VAB/SPH the rescources readout in the bottom left is slightly overlapping the angle snap icon. I remember having found the relevant config somewhere, but cannot relocate it now. Can you shed light on this?

EDIT: In the former builds, there used to be a BuildOverlay and BuildAdvanced xml files, but now they are gone?

Suggestion for HUD display: I always add dV (Current/Total), and I think most others would like that information at a glance as well.

You should not have to re-do the settings every update. The .xml settings files are not included in the .zip so as to not overwrite your existing config. Unless you're deleting the whole folder each time, in which case, don't do that. The xml files should exist after running the game.

4 minutes ago, jrbudda said:

You should not have to re-do the settings every update. The .xml settings files are not included in the .zip so as to not overwrite your existing config. Unless you're deleting the whole folder each time, in which case, don't do that. The xml files should exist after running the game.

Thanks. I usually clean a dir before upgrading as most modders tell users to do that. I guess I can copy the old BuildOverlay and BuildAdvanced files from a 1.3.1 install?

3 minutes ago, Freshmeat said:

Thanks. I usually clean a dir before upgrading as most modders tell users to do that. I guess I can copy the old BuildOverlay and BuildAdvanced files from a 1.3.1 install?

You can, they haven't changed. But they should exist already if you're launched the game and gone into the VAB.

OK I had to accelerate the update due to a nasty bug I found in the colors config code. This update should not change any existing layouts but if you do a clean install it will use the presets as the defaults. I updated most of the presets, adding separators and readouts I thought missing. If I totally screwed something up, please let me know.

https://github.com/jrbudda/KerbalEngineer/releases/tag/1.1.5.2

Edited by jrbudda

18 hours ago, jrbudda said:

OK I had to accelerate the update due to a nasty bug I found in the colors config code. This update should not change any existing layouts but if you do a clean install it will use the presets as the defaults. I updated most of the presets, adding separators and readouts I thought missing. If I totally screwed something up, please let me know.

https://github.com/jrbudda/KerbalEngineer/releases/tag/1.1.5.2

@jrbudda, Oh man, did you fix the little extra bit of empty space under the situation readout that has always bothered me way more than it should?  That helps sooooo much, you don't even know, all my main HUD backgrounds line up smooth now and it looks so much better. 

The colors I set up don't seem to be saving, other than that it's all working great.

Here are some screenshots of my KER layouts.  It's 22:9, so the layout might not be ideal for presets, but maybe some of the different HUDs would be useful:

Normal  --  Max info  --  Rendezvous  --  Landing  --  Spaceplane

I really like splitting each main HUD (surface, orbit, vessel) into 2 HUDS each.  So I have my top 5 items for each on constant display, and then I can turn on the max info version for each as needed.  A bit of a pain to get the  backgrounds to line up perfectly, but once it's done youe can set it and forget it.

Edited by Sewer Urchin

43 minutes ago, Sewer Urchin said:

@jrbudda, Oh man, did you fix the little extra bit of empty space under the situation readout that has always bothered me way more than it should?  That helps sooooo much, you don't even know, all my main HUD backgrounds line up smooth now and it looks so much better. 

The colors I set up don't seem to be saving, other than that it's all working great.

Here are some screenshots of my KER layouts.  It's 22:9, so the layout might not be ideal for presets, but maybe some of the different HUDs would be useful:

Normal  --  Max info  --  Rendezvous  --  Landing  --  Spaceplane

I really like splitting each main HUD (surface, orbit, vessel) into 2 HUDS each.  So I have my top 5 items for each on constant display, and then I can turn on the max info version for each as needed.  A bit of a pain to get the  backgrounds to line up perfectly, but once it's done youe can set it and forget it.

Yes i fixed that.

Delete Settings/ReadoutsConfig.xml and your colors should start saving again with 1.1.5.2

• 2 weeks later...

Coming soon to a KER near you: Impact and Suicide Burn calculations that actually work!

45766b6ce75122bc1e2cf757b7f479e5.png

As you likely already know, the suicide burn calculations are garbage, using only vertical speed and instantaneous radar altitude and terrain height, making it useless for anything but straight-down descent. 

Why no-one ever hooked up the suicide burn calculations to the impact calculations I do not know. The impact calculations were slightly less garbage, although in my testing I found that, too, needed to be re-written as the old version would not have calculated the impact in the screenshot, because the periapse is above sea level.

So I've spent quite a lot of time this week re-doing both to be much much more accurate in more situations.

Look for this soon!

Alright so this suicide burn thing is really coming together. It still makes some assumptions, but the great thing is the lower your thrust or the higher your horizontal V,  the longer your burn, the more the error tends to overestimate the burn time, so you stop short. It makes landing kind of fun since you can play with the throttle between like 80-100% to keep the 'suicide burn countdown' just above 0 seconds and land perfectly. Better to be slightly less efficient than goo.

Suicide Burn Countdown and Suicide Burn Length are both new readouts. Suicide Burn Distance is also now the orbital arc length between you and the burn start point. Which is suprisingly difficult to calculate. You can use either the countdown or distance, point surface-retrograde and throttle up when they hit 0 and profit.

I also am adding 2 new default readout sections. One for all the maneuver node readouts called 'BURN' and one for all the landing readouts called 'LAND'. These will replace the HUD1 and HUD2 buttons on the control bar by default. These sections will only show readouts when a node exists or you are impacting a planet, respectively, making them great for HUD's since they disappear entirely when not in use automatically.

I'm gonna put a build for this on github somewhere, as it really needs a good testing before I release it for everyone, look for that soon.

4 hours ago, jrbudda said:

Suicide Burn Distance is also now the orbital arc length between you and the burn start point. Which is suprisingly difficult to calculate.

How is 'Impact time' calculated? The calculation should already contain the 'orbital arc length', does it?

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

38 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

How is 'Impact time' calculated? The calculation should already contain the 'orbital arc length', does it?

The impact is found via the true anomaly angle and I call orbit.GetDTforTrueAnomaly, which uses angular motion and the mean anomaly angle to determine time. So, no. Arc length of an ellipse requires numerical integration or other geometric trickery.

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@jrbudda From what countdown on will the impact biome be shown?

I got an impact in about 35m, but biome is not shown.

I have made no changes to the impact biome readout thus far. It is very simple, 1 line of code, using the impact latitude and longitude to get the biome.  there is nothing different about the impact biome readout vs all the other impact readouts, they should all be showing, or all not showing, depending on whether or not an impact has been detected.

3 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@jrbudda Well, the readout never shows a biome, no matter if still in space or in 5km altitude. No matter if periapsis is 0 or -250km.

What does it show? maybe grab a screenshot, if you can, of your flight and map situation and the impact readouts.

@jrbudda before I finish my mission and post all screenshots, what is this?

Impact calc! iterations False 1 20 duration 0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Impact pre 1 -49.9855485745341>310.014451425466 18 0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

bad loop

It doesn't say which mod it's from so I ask you.

Edit:

btw this is in an orbit situation after circularization, no impact in sight.

Edit: @jrbudda

Perhaps I also should mention this is spamming, not a single instance.

And my orbit changes. Outside of the bounds I previously was used to this. And since I use Orbital Decay I never had this issue until I upgraded KER to the latest dev repo from 2 days ago.

And it also cannot be Trajectories because it doesn't matter if I turn it on or off, use the cache or not.

But it could be because of FAR. That unofficial build from a few days ago.

Perhaps I should remove it.

Edited by Gordon Dry

9 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@jrbudda before I finish my mission and post all screenshots, what is this?

Impact calc! iterations False 1 20 duration 0

Impact pre 1 -49.9855485745341>310.014451425466 18 0

bad loop

It doesn't say which mod it's from so I ask you.

Edit:

btw this is in an orbit situation after circularization, no impact in sight.

Edit: @jrbudda

Perhaps I also should mention this is spamming, not a single instance.

And my orbit changes. Outside of the bounds I previously was used to this. And since I use Orbital Decay I never had this issue until I upgraded KER to the latest dev repo from 2 days ago.

And it also cannot be Trajectories because it doesn't matter if I turn it on or off, use the cache or not.

But it could be because of FAR. That unofficial build from a few days ago.

Perhaps I should remove it.

That spam is from KER, wait for the actual release before asking for help. I did not realize you compiled your own dll from my half finished code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.