[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

I'm suddenly having a really odd problem.  KER in VAB is showing me a vastly different Delta V by stage than what I get from KER when I hit launch.  It's off by hundreds of m/s.  I have craft which I successfully launched which had and still shows ~3100 delta V for stage 1 & 2 in the VAB, but when I launch, they only have ~2700 delta V in the same stages (i.e. I can't make it to orbit with a craft that I currently have in orbit from a launch before this issue cropped up).

I'm thinking I may have a corrupt save file or something.  Has anyone else ever experienced this?  I've got a ton of hours into this save I would really dislike starting over.

Edited by DoubleUU

12 hours ago, DoubleUU said:

I'm suddenly having a really odd problem.  KER in VAB is showing me a vastly different Delta V by stage than what I get from KER when I hit launch.  It's off by hundreds of m/s.  I have craft which I successfully launched which had and still shows ~3100 delta V for stage 1 & 2 in the VAB, but when I launch, they only have ~2700 delta V in the same stages (i.e. I can't make it to orbit with a craft that I currently have in orbit from a launch before this issue cropped up).

I'm thinking I may have a corrupt save file or something.  Has anyone else ever experienced this?  I've got a ton of hours into this save I would really dislike starting over.

Do you actually have a problem reaching orbit or is it just the numbers that are off? To me it looks like once you launch, the delta V is calculated for your current altitude. After launch, as the rocket gains height, my total delta V actually goes UP, not down. Not sure how the calculation in the VAB is done.

12 hours ago, DoubleUU said:

What are your settings for the Delta V window?  (Atmospheric/vacuum, what planet, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

Having a really odd problem. Running latest KSP 1.10.1 build, and KER from CKAN (1.1.72).

With KER installed and any other mods, After a while textures and icons start to disappear and then leaving a scene causes KSP to completely lock up. If I remove KER, everything works fine even with 100+ mods. You can tell when it will crash on the next scene change as if in the VAB or SPH the backgrounds for the resource and vessel info screenlets go transparent, followed by the toolbar icons going black.

How can I find out what mod is conflicting with KER?

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 4:21 PM, infinite_monkey said:

Do you actually have a problem reaching orbit or is it just the numbers that are off? To me it looks like once you launch, the delta V is calculated for your current altitude. After launch, as the rocket gains height, my total delta V actually goes UP, not down. Not sure how the calculation in the VAB is done.

Have simillar issue. But I think that problem is in.... SCRAPYARD :) IF you go to VAB and use part with already exists then it will add it twice to KSP dvCalculation.. So you have double of ship mass and so one so one.. you can verify what is goin in debug window.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 5:11 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

KER 1.1.7.1, in a 1.8.1 game

Getting the following errors:

ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KerbalEngineer.Unity, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KerbalEngineer.Unity, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

Quick n dirty solution is to rename the KerbalEngineer.Unity.dll to +KerbalEngineer.Unity.dll

Better solution is to add the following to the AssemblyInfo.cs:

[assembly: KSPAssemblyDependency("KerbalEngineer.Unity", 1, 0)]

Edited November 15, 2019 by linuxgurugamer

FYI, I'm still seeing this error in KER 1.1.7.2 with KSP 1.10.1. I'm paranoid about mod errors... I just reinstalled fresh KSP and I'm still having rare unexplained issues after installing mods.

Logged issue: https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/issues/156

Edited by Krazy1
Github link

I tried installing KER despite loading error mentioned above and it crashed in the VAB. It got stuck in an infinite loop. Excerpt from Player.log, which was 29 MB:

Spoiler

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

KerbalEngineer -> Exception  // System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalEngineer.UIControls.PopOutElement.Update () [0x0003f] in <df610534f02e44eabb2fe7c95c06a0aa>:0 

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

KerbalEngineer ->   at KerbalEngineer.UIControls.PopOutElement.Update () [0x0003f] in <df610534f02e44eabb2fe7c95c06a0aa>:0 

KerbalEngineer -> Exception  // System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalEngineer.UIControls.PopOutElement.Update () [0x0003f] in <df610534f02e44eabb2fe7c95c06a0aa>:0 

KerbalEngineer ->   at KerbalEngineer.UIControls.PopOutElement.Update () [0x0003f] in <df610534f02e44eabb2fe7c95c06a0aa>:0 

Clearing undo states from #1 forward (2 entries)

QuickStart(QPersistent)[2.20]: autoSaveShip: save

liquidEngine2 added to ship - part count: 66

Resource ID out of range in GetResource: 1048576 (max is 1048575)

(Filename: c:\buildslave\unity\build\runtime\gfxdevice\GfxResourceIDMap.h Line: 109)

Resource ID out of range in SetResource: 1048576 (max is 1048575)

(Filename: c:\buildslave\unity\build\runtime\gfxdevice\GfxResourceIDMap.h Line: 109)

Resource ID out of range in SetResource: 1048576 (max is 1048575)

Resource ID out of range in GetResource: 1048578 (max is 1048575)

Resource ID out of range in SetResource: 1048578 (max is 1048575)

Resource ID out of range in SetResource: 1048578 (max is 1048575)

Resource ID out of range in GetResource: 1048580 (max is 1048575)

Resource ID out of range in SetResource: 1048580 (max is 1048575)

KSP log

Edited by Krazy1
hide code

• 3 weeks later...

@jrbudda,  KSP 1.11 appears to have broken KER's dv calculations in the VAB.  GH user TupperWareContainer added an Issue on the jrbudda GH site with more details.  Haven't vetted all use cases, but it seems to give an initial dv calc on a pre-built Stock craft, but not on a new craft.  Neither Stock nor new craft will update dv calc when adding more tanks.

Just FYI, looks like MJ2 will update its own dv calcs.

Edited by KSPrynk

Temporary workaround I have been using: in `Physics.cfg` change `kerbalCrewMass` to `0.0`, `perSeatReduction` to `0.0` and `perCommandSeatReduction` to `0.049`. Then if using ModuleManager delete the MM cache files. If I understand the comments right this will mean all parts act as if they were fully occupied. It also causes KER to skip the code path that is erroring out for me, and it seems to work fine after this patch.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:09 PM, Coffeeman said:

Temporary workaround I have been using: in `Physics.cfg` change `kerbalCrewMass` to `0.0`, `perSeatReduction` to `0.0` and `perCommandSeatReduction` to `0.049`. Then if using ModuleManager delete the MM cache files. If I understand the comments right this will mean all parts act as if they were fully occupied. It also causes KER to skip the code path that is erroring out for me, and it seems to work fine after this patch.

That's interesting.  I'd be curious how the final solution works out, because I just noticed MJ also is not accounting for crew mass in dv calculation....

I'm seeing a new bug in KE in 1.11 which wasn't there in 1.10. Link to image https://www.dropbox.com/s/gw4fkk9lnr0e0v7/ke.jpg?dl=0 and here is in flight: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y08coyr12q2gejk/ke2.jpg?dl=0 and here is it working on the next identical flight:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/oufn9xs0ubha72o/ke3.jpg?dl=0

KE seems to randomly shrink the panel I have which shows dV and other ship parameters like temp and name of ship. It will work for a random amount of time, and then shrink to 5x5 pixel panel. Then come back and work again 10 minutes later.  Does this in both the VAB for the dV panel, and in flight for the ship data panel. Other panels all seem to be ok.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? I can upload log, but I suspect this is related to changes in game dV in 1.11... but wanted to be sure I'm not seeing something no one else is.

Edit... looks like a memory problem in log... but all other mods working fine. Game is zippy quick. 10 GB or RAM free out of 48 GB in computer.

LOG : https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxcj0jgtwk99g47/ke log.txt?dl=0

Edited by Atlas Gaming

I did some minor testing with KER for the deltav using a very basic craft with the mk1 pod a small tank and a terrier.

I entered all the values into my scientific calculator using the deltav equation

If you can get it to display the deltav in the SPH/VAB it is inaccurate, but seems accurate once the craft is launched (with my simpple craft)

FYI - Since upgrading to 1.1.8.1 the time calculation on DeltaV Total now always reads (0.0s). It was a nice to have for estimating remaining flight time for airplane flights.

PwWxqcg.png

Now I have to do math in my head (which is really my main complaint :blush: )

Edited by Caerfinon

2 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

FYI - Since upgrading to 1.1.8.1 the time calculation on DeltaV Total now always reads (0.0s). It was a nice to have for estimating remaining flight time for airplane flights.

PwWxqcg.png

Can confirm having the same problem. Seems to happen only to airplanes as LF+Ox engines remainign fuel time seems unaltered, but LF engines such as jets and mod piston engines are all screwy..... some appear in KER as 0 remaining seconds, and others appear as days and days of fuel remaining, even in small planes.

Hi community. I would like to share a few concerns before opening an issue, if this is relevant. I have waited for the 1.11.0 update before writing this post.

I have a vessel on Duna with 3 different types of engines. It is on the ground and my altitude is 659m.

- 8 Cubs in 2 groups (4 each)  Thrust is 31.8 kN. Total 254.4 kN
- 2 Cheetahs. Thrust is 120.4 kN. Total 280.8 kN
- 14 Dawns. Thrust is 1.9kN. Total 26.6kN

The engines are associated to actions groups. The TWR value is displayed in HUD2.
The total mass of my ship is 74,471kg. Surface gravity is 2.93 m^-2. Location is (Lat 0°, Long 90°). Weight is 218200,03N.

When the craft comes out from the SPH and moved to Duna the max TWR value is already 1.29 even if no engine is activated.
When I activate the first group of the Cubs, the max TWR changes to 0.58. 254.4*1000/2/218200.03 = 0.58 I am ok with this.
When I activate the second group of the Cubs in addition to the first group, the max TWR changes to 1.17. 254.4*1000/218200.03 = 1.165 I am ok with this.
When I activate Cheetah group of the Cubs in addition to the first group, the max TWR does not change. I should read a value greater than 2.
When I deactivate all the Cubs but not the Cheetahs, the max TWR falls to 0. I should read the 1.29 displayed the first time.
When I deactivate Cheetahs (no engine activated at all), the max TWR goes back to 1.29. (At least it is consistent).

Xenon engines seem to be correcty handled, the max TWR value is 0.12

201231045008846103.pngI

I rebuilt a fresh install with only KER and Restock, I have the same behaviour. Restock does not reskin the Cheetah engine.

20123104574563738.png

Do you have similar issues?

20123105032114929.png

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Can confirm having the same problem. Seems to happen only to airplanes as LF+Ox engines remainign fuel time seems unaltered, but LF engines such as jets and mod piston engines are all screwy..... some appear in KER as 0 remaining seconds, and others appear as days and days of fuel remaining, even in small planes.

2 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

PwWxqcg.png

Oh great. I merged a pull request from someone who made changes to propellant calculations. He seemed to know what he was talking about, but maybe that is the source of the problem.

Can one of you give me easy instructions to make a craft that shows the problem? and what the calculations should be in 1.1.8.1 vs how they were in 1.1.7.2?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.