[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

I installed this halfway through my career and it's still not available. On a lark, I started a new career and the engineering items were all available immediately.

Any ideas?

Go to the tech level Engineer is at and "buy" it. It should be easy to find, the node will have a number next to it indicating the number of parts that are buyable. Go there, click on the node, click on engineer and buy it.

Absolutely correct: at the very first tech level ("Start") they were visible but not "researched". Select each and "research" them and they are now available.

I expect this is how to make all newly installed mods available after the fact.

Thanks.

@cybutek could you add Sea Level TWR when Modular Fuel Tanks (and Real Fuels) is installed? It now makes Thrust vary with Isp. On flight it works great but on the VAB it doesn't show the real TWR with MFT. I think NathanKell said that it could be easily calculated by making both atmo and vacc burn times the same

Alright for some reason this thing isn't working anymore. I got an edited tech tree so the Kethane mod parts would be in it and now none of the pods have Kerbal Engineer. It worked fine before I did this now I can't even take out what I did and get it to work. So any advice on what I should try? I've re downloaded and have both files.

Hey does anybody know if there's a guide somewhere for this mod? It looks very detailed but I simply can't understand what half the stuff is for XD. (Awesome addon of course!)

I don't know of a guide, but what I did was go into the config and turn off everything I didn't care about or understand. Then, as I slowly got concepts working in my brain and I realized I wanted to know that info, I went back in and enabled that info in settings. It allowed me to slowly digest what the mod was telling me over time.

Is KER fully/mostly compatible with FAR and KIDS by now?

And ... would it be to bold to ask to change the UI to that of the PreciseNode mod - and introduce independent windows for the four tabs to be arranged more freely and without overlapping the screen size? :)

Is KER fully/mostly compatible with FAR and KIDS by now?

And ... would it be to bold to ask to change the UI to that of the PreciseNode mod - and introduce independent windows for the four tabs to be arranged more freely and without overlapping the screen size? :)

There's not been another update to 0.6 so the incompatibility with FAR and the surface tab is still there, same with KIDS at the moment. And stock functionality is the goal for 1.0 at the moment.

The UI is going to stay the same because KER has always been focused on stock looks and integration. The UI used by MechJeb, PreciseNode etc. is the result of not actually doing any styling at all, it is the default Unity UI. On the subject of UI, having the option to detach information sections is on the drawing board for v1.0 :D

Anyone is free to take a look at the current progress of KER 1.0 at https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer. The Flight Engineer has been fleshed out a lot more since the last time I mentioned the GitHub repo on here. Just download the .zip and everything in the 'Output' folder is what you'd expect in the distributable, like what you'd find on SpacePort. Note: It's not what I'd class as release quality, missing features, but works. I'm just announcing it here in some of my posts, not on the front page as of now for the would be adventurnauts :P (i.e. people who understand that it's not 100% complete) Have fun! :)

Anyone is free to take a look at the current progress of KER 1.0 at https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer. The Flight Engineer has been fleshed out a lot more since the last time I mentioned the GitHub repo on here. Just download the .zip and everything in the 'Output' folder is what you'd expect in the distributable, like what you'd find on SpacePort. Note: It's not what I'd class as release quality, missing features, but works. I'm just announcing it here in some of my posts, not on the front page as of now for the would be adventurnauts :P (i.e. people who understand that it's not 100% complete) Have fun! :)

It is far enough along that it covers my primary use for KER (VAB analysis), and without the use of a part :cool: Now I can retire those Cybutek Engineer Chips that I had been pasting onto launch clamps. And the flight info that I use seems fairly complete - I see all the orbital stuff I usually rely on MechJeb to provide. The only features "missing" from MJ's stuff is the Time to Impact and Suicide Burn Countdown - I've found those are handy for landing. I haven't tried digging too deeply, yet, so maybe I'll figure out what features are missing.

The UI used by MechJeb, PreciseNode etc. is the result of not actually doing any styling at all, it is the default Unity UI.

Would you be up for making it an option? Right now I have to rip out the GUI styling and recompile; I'm certainly not against that, but it's clear there is a want for it.

RemoteTech parts, those with probe compatibility and RT command modules, have [ModuleCommand] replaced by [ModuleRemoteTechSPU]. Build engineer only shows up in VAB when the part is [ModuleCommand]. Protractor and MechJeb 2 don't suffer this problem, nor does the flight engineer. Should be an easy fix.

... tested the latest version. It still has this problem. Many of us use the RemoteTech probe compatibility addon (or MechJeb and RemoteTech for All) which changes the stock probes from [ModuleCommand] to [ModuleRemoteTechSPU]. MechJeb doesn't have this requirement that the root part is [ModuleCommand] because it shows up in the VAB with the root part as [ModuleRemoteTechSPU]. I wish I could use Engineer though. It's the superior building tool because it doesn't add the mass for the clamps and it has information for all the planets/moons.

Does it? The MM file for RT adds a MODULE, but I cannot see where it would remove the ModuleCommand MODULE.

@PART[probeCoreSphere]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive
TechRequired = unmannedTech
OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

Edit: Kerb me ... I could swear it was working at my computer at home.

On my friends computer KER is not showing up when having RT and KER installed, using MM to add KER to pods/probes.

Edited by KerbMav

Version 0.6.1.4 is now available!

Now compatible with FAR.

... tested the latest version. It still has this problem. Many of us use the RemoteTech probe compatibility addon (or MechJeb and RemoteTech for All) which changes the stock probes from [ModuleCommand] to [ModuleRemoteTechSPU]. MechJeb doesn't have this requirement that the root part is [ModuleCommand] because it shows up in the VAB with the root part as [ModuleRemoteTechSPU]. I wish I could use Engineer though. It's the superior building tool because it doesn't add the mass for the clamps and it has information for all the planets/moons.

I cannot replicate this problem. Tried adding the BuildEngineer module directly onto a probe core, also using a new MM config and using the RT config to rule out MM being the culprit. RemoteTech does not use 'ModuleRemoteTechSPU' it uses 'ModuleSPU' so my guess is that you're running some older version of RemoteTech.

One feature I always wished KER to have is the full range of TWRs during burn. What mass does KER use to calc TWR anyway? Min, max, average?

Oh and another feature I'd absolutely love is a KER part that vanishes on moving to the launch scene. This way I could use it to build with and then fly without it. I can't count the number of times I've had to strip off fairings to get at KER bolted to my root capsule assembly.

Edited by Frederf

One feature I always wished KER to have is the full range of TWRs during burn. What mass does KER use to calc TWR anyway? Min, max, average?

Oh and another feature I'd absolutely love is a KER part that vanishes on moving to the launch scene. This way I could use it to build with and then fly without it. I can't count the number of times I've had to strip off fairings to get at KER bolted to my root capsule assembly.

TWR is based on the mass at the start of a stage in the VAB (the lowest it'll be) and is set at the current mass in flight.

Version 1.0's Build Engineer is completely part less, and a feature like that will not be implemented in 0.6 due to it's already in the next major release. :D

This is very awesome. Makes it a lot easier to make rockets without a million test runs.

A bit of a request, though: Would it be possible to add maximum/current acceleration values, in m/s^2? I will often need to get out a calculator to figure out a burn or a landing, and that gets tiresome. It shouldn't be too hard though, considering you already have TWRs.

But still, thanks for the awesome plugin! Without it, I would be going though calculators much faster.

Not sure how it would make any textures go weird. But you're essentially right about it just disabling terminal velocity and the calculations that go on behind the scenes for it. It was going to be a bigger update with couple more fixes but all of the bugs ended up not being bugs in KER. So I decided to release, instead of just leaving it on the shelf to gather virtual dust.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.