[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Yeah I have to say KER and Protractor mod shouldn't be part mods anymore. It was fun years ago, when KSP has barely any parts, to put one of these parts on. Now they just need to be a part less mod.

Until upgrading to 0.23 (and reinstalling all my mods) I had forgotten that it WAS a part by default. At first I thought I had found a bug :)

Being partless aside, I have another request - a migration of the UI to the 'smoke' UI style that Mechjeb and such uses. In particular, a highly-compact mode.

The current UI is extremely large and takes a ton of screen real estate. I personally use the compact Mechjeb UI, but even just going to the transparent smoke style would be great since that style alone saves a considerable amount of screen space. Whenever I'm building rockets I'm constantly having to move the engineer window around, whereas the Mechjeb vessel info is extremely compact and easy to work around.

I've got those mods (and more) installed and haven't seen any lag of the magnitude you're describing. The only bug I seem to be hitting is that sometimes the delta-v calculator just stops calculating. (This is with Realism Overhaul and Modular Fuels if that helps.) It's not a game-breaker for me since I use MechJeb now for delta-v calculations -- I need that sea-level-thrust indicator when building my launch stage. I still use KER during orbital flight.

Re-dloaded and installed KER and all is fine now. Not sure what it was. I think there was a small update but not sure. Works fine now though so not worried.

Personally I don't see the need to have KER be a PartModule at all.

It's a PartModule because that's what had to be used back in the day, as there was no way of making anything part less without using hacks. KER started its life before even PartModules were implemented! I must strongly state again, such feature changes which are already in 1.0 and require more effort than just copy/paste a bit of code wont be coming to 0.6. It's the matter of, do you want 0.6 for longer or 1.0 earlier?

Being partless aside, I have another request - a migration of the UI to the 'smoke' UI style that Mechjeb and such uses. In particular, a highly-compact mode.

The current UI is extremely large and takes a ton of screen real estate. I personally use the compact Mechjeb UI, but even just going to the transparent smoke style would be great since that style alone saves a considerable amount of screen space. Whenever I'm building rockets I'm constantly having to move the engineer window around, whereas the Mechjeb vessel info is extremely compact and easy to work around.

Already in 1.0 apart from the "smoke" style UI because that's Unity default and isn't stock. It actually requires more effort to make it look stock. That "smoke" style is in fact the lack of any styling at all.

Edited by cybutek

I figured out the issue with KW engines causing the engineer window to blank. I posted the following in the KW thread:

I managed to figure out the KW/Engineer problem. It has to do with a minor change to engine part configs in 0.23. The ability to tweak electric charge on engines needs to be explicitly disallowed (as it now is with stock engines), and then Engineer works fine. You simply need to add "isTweakable = false" to the engine part configs as follows:

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

amount = 0

maxAmount = 0

isTweakable = false

}

Hopefully this change can get added to the base KW mod, then it should play nice with Engineer, and possibly some other 0.23 mods.

I figured out the issue with KW engines causing the engineer window to blank. I posted the following in the KW thread:

I managed to figure out the KW/Engineer problem. It has to do with a minor change to engine part configs in 0.23. The ability to tweak electric charge on engines needs to be explicitly disallowed (as it now is with stock engines), and then Engineer works fine. You simply need to add "isTweakable = false" to the engine part configs as follows:

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

amount = 0

maxAmount = 0

isTweakable = false

}

Hopefully this change can get added to the base KW mod, then it should play nice with Engineer, and possibly some other 0.23 mods.

We should be able to automate that with a Module Manager script. I'll take a look later today.

Starwaster and I were talking about one in MFS thread.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines],@RESOURCE[@ElectricCharge]]
{
@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
{
%isTweakable = false
%hideFlow = true
}
}

NOTE: Requires ModuleManager 1.5.5 or above.

Is there supposed to be the '@' symbol in front of ElectricCharge resource in the first line? Should that look like this?:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines],@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]]

Same here. I am doing debugging now to try and see what is happening from this end.

EDIT: Ok, I thought it might be happening when MechJeb2 was also on vehicle, but it is not.

I can select pod, all is ok, the craft name box is still there and ksp.log not running amok.

Add the flightengineer part and blam. loss of craft name box, and ksp.log growing like a weed with;

[LOG 12:46:50.904] Untitled Space Craft - Untitled Space Craft

[LOG 12:47:11.413] EngineerChipFlight(Clone) added to ship - part count: 2

[LOG 12:47:11.417] stage count is: 0

[EXC 12:47:11.432] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

[EXC 12:47:11.436] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

[EXC 12:47:11.450] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

[EXC 12:47:11.453] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

[EXC 12:47:11.464] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

I have got the same issue with the current version 0.6.2.1 (also had it with the previous one, but did not play that much KSP lately).

It started when my computer crashed due to overheating. Now KER does not work anymore when building, so calculating the delta-v. But after reinstalling (pasting) KER it worked again. But I do wonder what is causing this.

0.6.2.1 in VAB at some point stops updating weight, d-V and other info. Moreover, when I start making new monstrocity nad slap that chipset on it, it keeps showing previous vessel's info (at which it hanged up). MechJeb at the same time keeps updating those stats, so it doesn't seem to be some global non-ER bug.

0.6.2.1 in VAB at some point stops updating weight, d-V and other info. Moreover, when I start making new monstrocity nad slap that chipset on it, it keeps showing previous vessel's info (at which it hanged up). MechJeb at the same time keeps updating those stats, so it doesn't seem to be some global non-ER bug.

Same problem here.

Any chance of getting a gear icon for this mod instead of the "ker" icon? Now that more and more mods are using the common toolbar my brain has difficulty connecting 'ker' with engineer when I'm looking through the bunch, probably because just about every mod could appropriately use the letters 'ker' as their icon.

Being quite new at space exploration I can say this plugin is actually the only one I always use. In the VAB of course, but additional I found out recently that the in flight version is really helpful too to know the right height of the planet surface, essential for landing on distant targets.

Because of this I have a small request. Would it be possible to make the in flight version(s) display be toggled by the custom action groups? That would be much easier then right clicking on the recorder in the darkness of space. ;-)

Greets and seasonal best wishes,

Jan

I may have asked for this before, but could the current biome be displayed somewhere? With any career game, this is quite essential information, and constantly spamming the crew-report until the heading finally changes isn't exactly a good solution to the problem. So could the current surface biome be added as an option to the surface display (for example)?

I know there are stages to biomes, like you can be "in space near Kerbin" (most experiemnts will use this) and at the same time be "in space near Kerbin over the grasslands" (used by EVA, I forget the exact wording though). I'm just talking about the latter part, the things that are actually defined by the biome-map for orbital bodies (currently Kerbin, Mun, Minmus). This is the one that's hard to guess and not necessarily obvious.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.