[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Thank you Cybutek!!! Woo it's a big relief to see this updated! I've been using this plugin for several months now - for information display you just can't beat KER on practicality and performance. Now to try the new version out, keep'em coming! ;)

I wonder - is there a chance we will get closest approach reading for the rendezvous window? There is one intercept reading, but it is not exactly closest approach reading, which would be immensely helpful when making orbit corrections for rdv.

Also - is there a chance we can get separate windows for each option? I am running at 1920x1080 and still hate it when i open 2 windows at once.

Unfortunately I still get freezes with 0.6.1.1 when using default plugin. Singlethreaded version works fine.

EDIT: Alternative plugin is giving me freezes too.

Edited by jcraft

I think I may have found a bug. Whenever I hit the Rendezvous button, then select the object I want to get to, the Engineer menu minimizes itself so that there's only a gray line where the menu was. I cannot revert the action; therefore, the only way to open up the displays again is to load a quicksave.

I think I may have found a bug. Whenever I hit the Rendezvous button, then select the object I want to get to, the Engineer menu minimizes itself so that there's only a gray line where the menu was. I cannot revert the action; therefore, the only way to open up the displays again is to load a quicksave.

I had that problem and found it was caused by a conflict with KW Rockery. It works fine without it. Otherwise some posts above this one have tried a alternative .dll with success.

Thanks for the update cybutek. I too am having the 'freezing' problem. To be more specific:

In build engineer:

When first placed, the display is correct.

The buttons work.

The display doesn't update when parts are added or removed.

Removing and re-attaching the engineer part doesn't help.

Leaving the VAB and coming back doesn't help.

In Flight Engineer:

The orbital and surface displays are correct.

I didn't test rendezvous.

The vessel display is correct on the pad, but doesn't update after that.

The single-thread DLL fixes the problem for me.

Edited by Kermunist
Clarity

Feature request: "Excess IntakeAir" as reported by MechJeb 2. Just the difference between Required and Consumed to 1 decimal place would be very handy for controlling SSTO high-altitude turbojet flights and preventing flameouts.

I had no problems with the multithreaded version so far, except on one flight where accessing the surface panel collapsed the window into a grey line without buttons. That was while I was orbital, but in the atmosphere, and when I passed 70 km and left the atmosphere, everything went back to normal. I tried but couldn't replicate it.

Thanks for the new version. But may I suggest that the old way of reporting delta-v (per stage, now stages without engines are added together) was better? With the new system I have to actually monitor the fuel of the tanks that I want to jettision when using asparagus staging. In version 0.6.0.6 the displayed (in flight) delta-v reached zero as soon as the tanks of a stage were empty (and therefore useless ballast).

Hello guys,

I'm running KSP 0.21.1 (non-Steam) on Windows 8. I downloaded the latest (0.6.1.1) Kerbal Engineer version, copied it to the KSP\GameData folder (so the DLL is now located at c:\Program Files (x86)\Kerbal Space Station\GameData\Engineer\Engineer.dll). When I start the game the Kerbal Engineer parts appear correctly, but when I attach them to my ships nothing happens (tried creating new ships, exiting/reentering the game etc). I understand that Kerbal Engineer should pop up a window, but that does not actually occur.

Any suggestions?

Just a data point: I wanted to report that I too was having a lot of problems with the current version of Kerbal Engineer - stats not changing with parts added or removed from a rocket in the VAB, the in-flight display shrinking down to a single line with no data shown, etc. When I replaced Engineer.dll with the alternate single-threaded version posted a few pages back, all my problems disappeared and it's working perfectly again.

OK, I found what the problem was. I originally copied the KSP files to the C:\Program Files (x86)\ directory. In Windows 8 (and 7 and Vista) only Administrators may write this folder. This must have caused some problem for Kerbal Engineer (it might have been unable to create some file or directory it needs). I now granted Full Control rights to all Users to this folder and Kerbal Engineer works as advertised. Sweet!

You might want to add this to the readme.

After a bit of testing, I'm finding that KER is incompatible with FAR.

When KER is installed by itself, it functions normally. If you then install FAR, the following happens to the flight computer display at launch.

If the craft is not attached to a pad pylon, then KER will only show a gray bar. However, if the craft is attached to a pad pylon, KER will display properly so long as it's attached to it. You can fire whatever engines you like, and KER will continue updating it's calculations. But as soon as it detaches from the pylon and begins moving, KER's display changes to a solid gray box with no numbers.

During the bug, the KSP output log repeats this continually:

ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Engineer.FlightEngineer.DrawOrbital () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Engineer.FlightEngineer.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

at Engineer.Tools.FormatSI (Double number, SIUnitType type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Engineer.FlightEngineer.DrawSurface () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Engineer.FlightEngineer.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Troubleshooting steps I've taken:

Deleted all mods and uninstalled the game. Restarted computer. Reinstalled and ran game. Redownloaded latest versions of KER and FAR. Installed KER first, ran game, tested, then FAR, ran game, tested. Deleted mods, ran game, then installed in the reverse order, running game and testing between installs.

Searched about every permutation of "FAR breaks KER" I could think of. Nothing so far.

Running KSP 21.1.276 (Steam) on Win 7 x64 on Radeon HD 5700 graphics. FAR 0.9.5.5(1) (same bug on both versions). KER 0.6.1.1 (same bug for both multi- & single-threaded plugins)

Edited by luchelibre

Can you have a future option where you can run the plugin from the ui without having to attach the part? That would be great so my crafts can remain stock between different KSP versions.

Can you have a future option where you can run the plugin from the ui without having to attach the part? That would be great so my crafts can remain stock between different KSP versions.

If you use ModuleManager, you can create a custom cfg that adds this to all the pods/cores. That's what I do. It looks like this:

@PART[cupola]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

...only repeated for each pod and core. Make sure the name in the square brackets matches the name in each of the part's cfg files.

Here is mine -- no guaranetees :wink::

@PART[probeCoreCube]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[probeCoreOcto]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[probeCoreHex]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[probeCoreOcto2]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[probeCoreSphere]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[probeStackLarge]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[probeStackSmall]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[landerCabinSmall]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[Mark1Cockpit]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[Mark2Cockpit]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[Mark3Cockpit]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[Mark1-2Pod]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[mk1pod]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[mk2LanderCabin]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[landerCabinSmall]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[cupola]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[seatExternalCmd]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@PART[crewCabin]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

I'm going to do a double post as this relates to the combination of Engineer Redux and Kethane:

I'm getting a lot of NullReferenceExceptions in the KSP.log when using Kethane jets, possibly due to Engineer Redux.

The Build and Flight Engineer info stop showing delta-v calculations when I install a kethane jet. TWR is still available, but with a HUGE lag probably due to all the exception handling going on.

Does anobody else see this problem as well using Engineer Redux + Kethane Jet?

EDIT: this is the error in the output_log.txt: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at Kethane.OrthogonalIntake.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

EDIT 2: when modifying the jet part.cfg to use IntakeAir instead of KIntakeAir, the problem disappears. Is this a problem in Kethane Mod, or should the Engineer Redux mod be extended?

Sorry to report a bug,

KER locks up frequently while I'm working on rockets, and once it has halted (nothing updates in the KER window as you adjust staging, add/remove tanks/engines/piping etc), nothing will bring it back to life short of restarting the game.

The other one is dropping a KER part onto an existing rocket, sometimes it'll just crash and there will be a tiny grey window with nothing and the game will begin stuttering and hitching, likewise need to restart the game. If it's a big rocket, sometimes KSP will lock up entirely.

Happens with both the multi-threaded and single thread alternate .dll that was released

What info could I provide from these crashes which might help troubleshoot?

Could it be related to the KSPAddon bug

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.