[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

I have an issue with KER on KSP 1.1.2

Here is a vessel with the stock nuclear engine: Weight is 21671 and DV 4591 without the 4 external tanks

With the  4 connected external tanks Mechjeb see the right mass 31771 and KER stay to 21671

Whatever the number of tanks connected with fuel lines to the main tank I add or subtract KER doesn't change the figures.

330306screenshot4.png

Edited by gilflo

1 hour ago, gilflo said:

Here is a vessel with the stock nuclear engine: Weight is 21671 and DV 4591 without the 4 external tanks

With the  4 connected external tanks Mechjeb see the right mass 31771 and KER stay to 21671

Whatever the number of tanks connected with fuel lines to the main tank I add or subtract KER doesn't change the figures.

What other mods do you have?  Have you used a fuel switch mod to change the tanks to LF only?  Please click the settings button, click the verbose simulation log button, wait for it to pop out and then quit and upload your output_log.txt file somewhere and post a link.

Actually, while that is good advice in general when problems are had with the deltaV calculations, the problem in this case is simply that you have the engine and the radial decouplers all in the first stage so the droptanks are being dropped at the start.

KER should really show an extra "stage" in situations where something gets decoupled in the first stage so that the full mass of the vessel is displayed.  This was mentioned sometime in the last few pages...

Edited by Padishar

11 hours ago, gilflo said:

I think it's a very simple problem. You have decouplers in Stage 2. The KER staging logic sees "Stage 2"(the values displayed) as what happens after that stage is activated. Since the decouplers eject the fuel tanks(I assume) you lose all that mass before the engine fires. Move the decouplers up a stage and see what happens.

Edited by ANWRocketMan

Hey there, I noticed a difference in the TWR of crafts from Editor to Flight.
In the Editor the TWR is higher as in the Flight Scene; I made this with stock parts. it was without any staging.

My testcraft is a RC001S an FL-T100 and a Reliant Engine. TWR in Editor is 11.46 and in Flgiht it is 10.71

KSP 1.1.2 32bit / 64bit

5 minutes ago, Alewx said:

Hey there, I noticed a difference in the TWR of crafts from Editor to Flight.
In the Editor the TWR is higher as in the Flight Scene; I made this with stock parts. it was without any staging.

My testcraft is a RC001S an FL-T100 and a Reliant Engine. TWR in Editor is 11.46 and in Flgiht it is 10.71

KSP 1.1.2 32bit / 64bit

Sounds like you were looking at the vacuum stats in the editor. Reliant has 215kN in vacuum and 200.67kN at sea level. 215/200.67 = 1.07. Your TWRs are 11.46 and 10.71, 11.46/10.71 =1.07. 

Click the ATMO button on the KER window in the editor to see the atmospheric stats.

22 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Sounds like you were looking at the vacuum stats in the editor. Reliant has 215kN in vacuum and 200.67kN at sea level. 215/200.67 = 1.07. Your TWRs are 11.46 and 10.71, 11.46/10.71 =1.07. 

Click the ATMO button on the KER window in the editor to see the atmospheric stats.

Thanks, is the atmosphere also applied in the compact mode?

1 minute ago, Alewx said:

Thanks, is the atmosphere also applied in the compact mode?

It can be, with the atmo button still visible to switch between vacuum/atmospheric in compact mode. :) (Great QoL feature, older versions required large mode to switch.)

3 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

It can be, with the atmo button still visible to switch between vacuum/atmospheric in compact mode. :) (Great QoL feature, older versions required large mode to switch.)

Sorry for the dump question just testing it out, would have made it clear, thanks for the quick repsonses.
:kiss:

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the game, but I have figured it out pretty well I would say. I came across this mod recently and installed it. I have the added items, but nowhere is there the additional information screens... Here is a picture of an example of what I'm seeing in sandbox mode. (I added the computer and KES just so you could see I have it in the game)

http://2u8h4zm.png

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Larry-B said:

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the game, but I have figured it out pretty well I would say. I came across this mod recently and installed it. I have the added items, but nowhere is there the additional information screens...

I'm guessing that you either installed the mod incorrectly or you're using an incompatible version.  You should have something that looks like KSP\Gamedata\KerbalEngineerRedux as a single folder with the .dll and other files in it -- as opposed to multiple nested folders e.g. KSP\Gamedata\Gamedata\KerbalEngineer or anything else along those lines.

Wild guess from my phone though; I'm not anywhere near an actual install at the moment.

1 hour ago, Larry-B said:

Any help would be much appreciated!

You will need to give more information, what version of KSP, what version of KER, what other mods you have installed, what OS you are on.  Also, the most useful info in any KSP troubleshooting is to look in the log file.  This is either called output_log.txt on Windows and lives in either the KSP_Data or KSP_x64_Data folder depending on whether you are running the 32bit or 64bit version.  On linux and OSX the file is called player.log and lives in an odd place.  See the "How to get support" sticky thread in the modded support forum for details if you're not on Windows.  Please upload this file to a file sharing site such as dropbox and post a link here.

the DV display is being really screwy for me when trying to use test weights to add stuff. when i lock fuel tanks on the test payload, the Dv goes up by almost double. also, it seems to think ore is a fuel for the mainsail. this is on a pretty heavily modded game, so it might be mod interaction, but heres some screenshots anyways.

qmtKXmY.png

NgM51RD.png

22 minutes ago, toric5 said:

the DV display is being really screwy for me when trying to use test weights to add stuff.

What is the root part of the vessel?  The deltaV calculations only work correctly if the root part remains with the vessel until all the significant stages have been simulated. From your screenshots it appears that the root part is probably the probe core.  In the second shot, the deltaV is shown is S3 (correct) and S1 (not correct, this means it has decoupled the full ore tank before calculating the last stage).  In the first shot, the last stage is shown as S2 which is before the empty ore tank is decoupled.  Clicking the "All Stages" button may make it more obvious what is happening, especially if you pay attention to the masses reported for each stage.

To get correct readouts simply use the reroot tool (4) to make the ore tank (the payload) the root part.  You may also then need to grab the decoupler and detach the rest of the rocket from the payload and then reattach it.  It should then start calculating consistently.

Edit: Pad, the anti-ninja, strikes again...

Edited by Padishar

I installed the latest version with CKAN and get *tons* of logspam in form of:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object#
KerbalEngineer.Flight.FlightAppLauncher.Update ()

Whenever in the flight scene. 

Additionally I can't find the engineer button, neither in stock nor in blizzys toolbar.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Restored a older version from a backup I had (guess it's 1.1.0.0 from KerbalEngineer.version) and logspam problem gone, but still no toolbar button

Edited by Darkstar One
Backup restore

This mod is excellent, without it I would probably have stopped playing KSP years ago.

Recently the show/hide keybinding was removed.  I've wanted it back for ages but it has taken me a long time to realise that the settings for KER are only available in the SPH/VAB.  It's even more weird that when you click the KER icon on the toolbar, you get an options screen instead of the actual data you wanted - but again no access to options such as keybindings.

I'd like to suggest that it's made more obvious that KER's settings can only be changed in certain scenes - or preferably - that the settings are made available from any scene, or only from the KSC scene like some other mods.

53 minutes ago, Darkstar One said:

Any suggestions?

We would need to see an output_log.txt/player.log file and details of what other mods you have installed to suggest anything useful.  It sounds like it wasn't correctly installed or there is a clash with another mod during the AppLauncher handling.  The log should tell us...

3 minutes ago, Galenmacil said:

If possible, fix KER not showing correct "Terminal Velocity" when FAR is also installed.

That is entirely up to cybutek, but I certainly won't be implementing it.  Given the almost total un-usefulness of a terminal velocity readout, regardless of whether FAR is installed or not, I would actually vote for it to be completely removed instead.  I would, however, quite like to see some of the values that FAR allows other mods to have access to be displayed in KER, though even that would come quite low down on my list of things to do...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.