[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Just want to say thanks for what I consider the most useful, or even indispensable mod. I did a fresh install to try out some different mods realized how much I rely on engineer when building, doing orbital operations, everything.

With respect to the discussion on TWR variations, I think it would be really handy to have a delta-v per second thrust readout. This would be more useful for orbital and deep space operations than TWR (I think).

Hello. I just wanted to let you know that your plugin is affected by this notice: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29552-Linux-Case-Senstive-Reminder

The plugin archive provides two directories: Parts/EngineerChip/Textures/ and Parts/EngineerChipFlight/Textures/ (in StudlyCaps) which are internally referred to as textures/ (lowercase). This causes problems for Linux and some OSX users (with case sensitivity enabled in HSF+) and the textures are never loaded.

As a temporary fix these users can create symlinks in the Part directories:

within both Parts/EngineerChip/ Parts/EngineerChipFlight/ do $ ln -s Textures textures

A suggestion:

It would be cool if the Flight engineer could show some orbit predictions when re-entering atmosphere. Just showing an estimated apoapsis would lessen the amount of guess work when aerobraking. Also, if it predicts impact, it could show the location, so it could be used also when landing.

Seconding this request. I've had an absolute devil of a time trying to figure out the math for aerobraking myself, and I've almost caved and downloaded MechJeb instead, even though having both KER and MechJeb on the same ship would be kind of redundant.

That said, it's an awesome plugin all the same.

Did a little crash testing on my install of 0.20 for this plugin. The plugin itself seems to work fine, but a couple of issues I've noticed:

1. The texture skin for the chip parts no longer appears. Reloading the parts from the debug console had no effect. I've attached a screenshot below, with the parts in question highlighted. (The magnetic tape deck was unaffected; skin shows up fine.)

engineer_texture_bug_zps20e3f420.png

2. The Preferences options for the Flight Engineer appear to be a little bit borked. The options for a particular tab don't appear until the tab has been opened, and once they do appear they're listed in the order you open the tabs.

Other than that, I didn't notice too much from the data readouts on the plugin itself. Everything else seems to be in order.

I was able to solve the issue with the Preferences getting all muddled up. Apparently KSP 0.20 now looks for your PluginData folder inside the Plugins folder instead of as a separate folder within the main game directory. I moved the contents of .../PluginData/engineer to .../Plugins/PluginData/engineer, and that resolved the issue handily.

Props to Trigger Au for pointing this out in the thread for his own mod :)

I have managed to fix all (as far as I've found at least) of the problems and update the file format to .20 style. It was a little involved because the textures have the same issue reported due to the path being hard-coded in the blender file, but I was able to modify the blender files to make the texture load properly. To install, just extract the archive and drop it into the GameData folder like any of the other new-style mods.

The file can be downloaded here: http://www.filedropper.com/kerbalengineer

Using this mod for such a long time, I just realised I never thanked the creator for it XD

KER finally allowed me to build sufficiently sane rockets, without having to do all the maths myself (well i really suck at the maths XD) and i like the ability to have the orbital data displayed in flight

This mod is my personal favorite and must have, thanks for that :D

With version 0.20 of Kerbal Engineer Redux is showing SRBs to have 0 delta-v and burn time.

Seconded, this does in fact appear to be the case. This one is beyond my knowledge to fix, at the moment.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but does that also affect the Version 1.0(indev6) version of the mod?

Also, on that subject, something I don't understand is why Version 1.0 isn't more widely advertised? I only found it on the Kerbal Engineer Redux web site itself. It appears to be a development version, but even so, it's a huge improvement over the already great 0.6.03 and it's a shame that it's not more widely known. The customizable/draggable windows are a huge boon, as is the targeting system.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but does that also affect the Version 1.0(indev6) version of the mod?

No, this only affects the "stable" version of the mod, 0.6.0.3. I have not really played with 1.0 at all.

Won't let me download it, I type in the combo it gives me then nothing...

I just tried and it worked fine for me, but just in case I mirrored the download on another file hosting site: https://anonfiles.com/file/be235ce66026125580c6d26cf2885c18

I tried the Version 1.0 one, and I love it in-flight, but its build engineer isn't working. It gives the total ÃŽâ€v, but that's it, I can't use any of the options in the dropdown menu. I also noticed that the buttons in the dropdown only change colour when I release the mouse button, rather than when I press it. I'm not sure if that is relevant. For now, I'm using the version here for the construction, then the other version for the actual flights.

Just an update... I am working my way up from scratch on 1.0 as a lot of the core code has stopped working. Rendering practically everything in the editor useless and there's a few bits in flight which have stopped working also. Such as the targetting display. But other than that the Flight Engineer in 1.0 works, be it with some known bugs. You can get it from http://ksp.cybutek.net/engineer.php if you wish to try it out. It hasn't been formally released, even as an in-development release because it is very much work in progress. Didn't want lots of people banging on my door with pitch forks because of missing features and odd quirks which are known about :P

My semi-closed public release was done through the Kerbal Space Pod podcast and via my own streaming on twitch.tv. This was because I could emphasize to the small population that it isn't finished, and that you shouldn't expect the world from it.

Bear in mind that due to what's happened... Be fore-warned that it will be going right back to bare-bones indev1 fairly shortly, more than likely only including the editor functionality to begin with. I'll give you a heads up when this happens though and make sure the built in version status notifies you it as well.

OK... Must get back to work, these thousands of lines of code won't type themselfs :D

Just an update... I am working my way up from scratch on 1.0 as a lot of the core code has stopped working. Rendering practically everything in the editor useless and there's a few bits in flight which have stopped working also. Such as the targetting display. But other than that the Flight Engineer in 1.0 works, be it with some known bugs. You can get it from http://ksp.cybutek.net/engineer.php if you wish to try it out. It hasn't been formally released, even as an in-development release because it is very much work in progress. Didn't want lots of people banging on my door with pitch forks because of missing features and odd quirks which are known about :P

My semi-closed public release was done through the Kerbal Space Pod podcast and via my own streaming on twitch.tv. This was because I could emphasize to the small population that it isn't finished, and that you shouldn't expect the world from it.

Bear in mind that due to what's happened... Be fore-warned that it will be going right back to bare-bones indev1 fairly shortly, more than likely only including the editor functionality to begin with. I'll give you a heads up when this happens though and make sure the built in version status notifies you it as well.

OK... Must get back to work, these thousands of lines of code won't type themselfs :D

Thanks for your work on this Cybutek. I used version 1.0(indev6) for several weeks in 19.1 and it was a huge leap over version 0.6.0.3, so even though you're going to have to drop back to indev1 for a while, I think the end results will make it worthwhile. I was spoiled by Version 1.0 during the time I used it, and don't think I could go back at this point.

Looking forward to seeing you getting everything back in place, however long it may take.

So, any idea how to fix the SRB delta-v bug?

I built a rocket with an SRB-only stage and noticed that it did calculate TWR for the stage, even though the delta-v was missing. Perhaps this is a hint that the fix might turn out to be simple?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.