[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

More specifically: the drawing of Body/Vessel details fails because FlightGlobals.fetch is not a valid property. It seems a recompile with re-linked DLLs from .21 fixes the issue, I could upload a new DLL that'll probably work.

Just want to clarify that while orbital and flight info are largely OK in 0.21, the RDV button crashes the KER interface (goes to gray). Otherwise dv per stage, TWR, altitude, etc are good.

The RDV button works fine for me, even brings up the list of ships/flags/etc. The problem comes if you actually select one of those options. The whole dialog disappears, apart from the bevel that separates the sections. Reloading my last quicksave seems to fix it.

This is listed as compatible with .21 but I'm having issues... :(

I'll ignore the RDV issue mentioned above (disappearing GUI when an RDV target is selected), which I've also seen, but don't really use.

More importantly, I'm having trouble with the Build Engineer in the VAB (haven't tried SPH). If I attach the Flight Engineer chip (which is supposed to have Build Engineer capability in it as well) I don't get the Build Engineer GUI at all. If I specifically attach the Build Engineer chip, then I do get the VAB window, but if I remove the chip then re-attach it, it doesn't come back.

Finally, if I use ModuleManager with my usual cfg file to automatically add both engineer modules to all pods/cores I get no Build Engineer dialog in the VAB at all; only the Flight Engineer dialog in flight. I haven't seen any problems reported with ModuleManager, so I assume the problem lies with BuildEngineer (but I could be wrong, since other people are reporting BuildEngineer works fine for them). I need to investigate more when I get home tonight.

Anyone else see this, or have any other ideas of things I could try?

OK... tried this again (with 21.1 now), and I'm not able to repeat the problem where the Build Engineer dialog disappears and doesn't come back due to removing and reattaching the chip. But I *am* still seeing the problem where placing BuildEngineer in a part's cfg doesn't make it appear. To eliminate the possibility that ModuleManager isn't working right, I modified a stock part directly with the following lines:

MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}

The flight engineer appears, but the build engineer doesn't. :(

OK... tried this again (with 21.1 now), and I'm not able to repeat the problem where the Build Engineer dialog disappears and doesn't come back due to removing and reattaching the chip. But I *am* still seeing the problem where placing BuildEngineer in a part's cfg doesn't make it appear. To eliminate the possibility that ModuleManager isn't working right, I modified a stock part directly with the following lines:

MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}

I confirm this issue. Need to be fixed for 0.21

Flight Engineer (which is mostly working, except for the rendezvous feature) is shown during flight. There are helpful stats for orbit, surface, vessel, and rendezvous. Build Engineer (which apparently isn't working when attached as a plugin module for a pod/core) gives ship stats in the VAB/SPH, such as each stage's mass, TWR, Isp, and dV.

Question: why are three parts even necessary for this? Why not just keep one part, the tape deck which combines the Build and Flight Engineer? People who don't want the Flight Engineer can just take off the part when they're done building. People who don't care for the Build Engineer can decide not to look at it, press "Compact" or not add the Engineer until the last part.

The fewer parts needed the better, I say.

Honestly, I never understood what the purpose for the tape deck was (other than a pretty animation) -- the Flight Engineer chip already contains both modules (check out the cfg file). I used to throw it on everything, but then I created a cfg file that uses ModuleManager to add it to all pods/cores, so I didn't need any parts. I even hid them in the VAB using the filter in the SimplePartOrganizer mod.

If fewer parts is better, zero parts is best. :)

I'm getting an error on .21 when I select the Rendezvous view and select a celestial target (the Mun) then the entire window shrinks down to just the title bar, with no buttons or text. From there I can't get it back without reverting the flight.

Regarding the parts. I agree, that using the ModuleManager to add engineer functionality to command pods then removing the parts would be a great way to go. Cleaner parts list and automatic engineer views on every craft.

How is Delta-V Calculated?

i've done Ve x Ln (m0/m1), Ve x 9.81 x Ln (m0/m1) and even Ve x 9.81 x 2 x Ln (m0/m1) to try to get close to the number its giving me.

the craft i measured has a isp of 300/390, Thrust of 215, total mass of 2.125 and mass less fuel of 1.8703.

are the results i get in the equations i ran but redux gives me 1353, with atmo stats its 1041.

also when i Thrust / (Total Mass x 9.81) im getting 10.314 and redux is giving me 5.97...is kerbin's gravity higher?

Edited by Grim187

But I *am* still seeing the problem where placing BuildEngineer in a part's cfg doesn't make it appear. To eliminate the possibility that ModuleManager isn't working right, I modified a stock part directly with the following lines:

MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}

I tried that, too, and had the same result. (My old modulemanager cfg to add KER to the command pods also didn't work.) I don't understand why the modules work with the KER parts, but not the stock parts. Are those KER parts special in a way?

I tried that, too, and had the same result. (My old modulemanager cfg to add KER to the command pods also didn't work.) I don't understand why the modules work with the KER parts, but not the stock parts. Are those KER parts special in a way?

Been wondering the same thing here. Just as a test, I tried adding the BuildEngineer module to the cfg for a stock part that *wasn't* a command pod or probe core. In this case, I happened to pick the octoganal strut. When I attached that to new ship, the dialog appeared as expected. So it isn't all stock parts per se that is preventing this.

It seems to me that its either the pods/cores that disallow it, OR just root parts in general. It should be pretty easy to test which is the case by modifying and using a non-root core part and a non-core root part, but i haven't had a chance to do that yet. I'll try to look at that tonight: it should at least give an indication of what is causing the problem.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized I've already done this... When I first started testing, I still had the old KSPX HECS core installed (in addition to the new 0.21 HECS core), and still had it referenced in my MM cfg. When I placed it as the first root part, the B.E. dialog *DID* show up. So it can't just be root parts causing this. It *must* be something in the new pod/core cfgs. The first thing that comes to mind is the new SAS/RW modules, though I fail to see how that would cause this. MOAR testing needed! :)

Edited by Kaleb

Well, does it work for .21 or not? *confused*
It mostly works fine in 0.21.

There was an issue with selecting a target in the Rendezvous tab of the Flight Engineer, that caused to dialog to shrink to almost nothing, though it's reportedly been fixed by a recompiled dll that was posted a page or so back (I haven't tested it myself).

There is also an issue if you add the Build Engineer module to a new pod or core part by modifying its cfg file (either directly or via ModuleManager), then that dialog doesn't show up at all. But if you aren't doing that (if you're just using the part, like it was intended), you're probably OK.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.