[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

40 minutes ago, funkcanna said:

Hi, KER does not appear in my ships unless I add the part.  How can I change this to be on every ship without having to put the part?

go to the VAB and search for the settings. IIRC, you'll find two panels that control the part and facility upgrade requirement.

Edited by Three_Pounds

9 hours ago, funkcanna said:

Hi, KER does not appear in my ships unless I add the part.  How can I change this to be on every ship without having to put the part?

8 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

go to the VAB and search for the settings. IIRC, you'll find two panels that control the part and facility upgrade requirement.

Yep, open the settings option in the VAB, and change the option from "Career" to "Partless"

I think there is also a mod Engineer For All or something that adds it to every command module, but I find the setting more convenient and saves me having an extra mod that can go wrong on next KSP version.

3 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Yep, open the settings option in the VAB, and change the option from "Career" to "Partless"

I think there is also a mod Engineer For All or something that adds it to every command module, but I find the setting more convenient and saves me having an extra mod that can go wrong on next KSP version.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm new here and recently began to apply mods to KSP. I finally saw how much Kerbal Engineer was useful to help me design my rockets for complex missions. Sadly, today's update messed it up and KER doesn't work anymore. The game won't be the same without it, hope you'll be able to update it soon enough (before next patch so we can enjoy it a little...).

9 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Hi everyone, I'm new here and recently began to apply mods to KSP. I finally saw how much Kerbal Engineer was useful to help me design my rockets for complex missions. Sadly, today's update messed it up and KER doesn't work anymore. The game won't be the same without it, hope you'll be able to update it soon enough (before next patch so we can enjoy it a little...).

Welcome to the forums.

You don't mention what versions of KSP and KER you're using.  If you're on KSP 1.3.1, revert to KSP 1.3.0 for the moment if you want to continue to use KER; updating can probably wait a few weeks.  There is some great advice on the forums somewhere about maintaining an older version of KSP in parallel with the latest and greatest (it simply involves copying the KSP directory before updating; this is allowed and encouraged).  This allows to continue your game and until you and the mods you like are ready.  In fact, people also use this technique to play differently modded games at the same time.

Here's some important forum etiquette for you.  What you should not do is pester mod developers for updates.  I know you meant well.  However, they are volunteers who mod in their free time for the benefit the KSP community and all have lives and real jobs not connected to KSP (well, mostly :P).  The vast majority of mod developers will update their mods in due course and the more time they take from that to answer posts such as yours, the less time they have for modding.  Some have even stopped developing when it got too much.

So, please just be patient and check the OP for updates and information every few days (or daily, if you want).

The other possibility is that something else is wrong.  Read this thread and follow its recommendations; you'll get better and faster help when you do.

Edited by Brigadier

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I'm using 1.3.1, was also using the recent beta. KER has worked fine for me in both cases.

Can someone else please confirm that KER is working as intended in 1.3.1?

I can confirm. Ignore the version checker popup for now.

I didn't copy my 1.3 KSP in time (the computer made the update when I was sleeping), I tried to revert via Steam but it broke everything and I had to take away mods and repair the files with integrity check. I put back some compatible mods and stay that way for the moment.  When the other Mods I use will be updated (if they are before the next update) I'll make sure to copy the game directory to save the compatibility. 

As for these really useful aides that are KER, KIS and KAS, they really should be part of the vanilla game, shame the developers don"t take that into consideration (unless I've missed something, I have yet to catch up with reading the Weekly news) Some of you talk about an upcoming 1.4 version, what will it be about? if anyone could summerise it.  (I know, off topic):rolleyes: That's why I decided to join the forum in the first place, just to be closer to the news.

The good thing is Warp drives still work in 1.3.1 and cost much less than they would in the CTT. So I had fun discovering Warp maneuvers around Jool.:0.0:

6 hours ago, TinfoilChef said:

Suggestion

Many times I've had situations where knowing the RCS Delta V would have been very useful.

Is there any chance this can be added Vessel Information in KER?

Install RCS Build Aid for that. They complement quite nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it normal when using planet packs or scaled systems for KER to be completely innacurate in vab/sph, and less than reliable during flight?

have not used any of those mods in the past, but been playing around lately, and I have not seen any patches for such installs anywhere.

when building the isp and dv can be off by anywhere from 1/10th to 3x.  i have to take a vessel to the launchpad to get any meaningful numbers, but those are also just guestimates because of atmospheres

On 08.10.2017 at 10:45 PM, peteletroll said:

And add the full date, please. Sometimes I need to be notified that IT'S MONDAY ALREADY.

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/pull/138

Spoiler

Also I recompiled it myself, 2 readout were added, 24h and Date/Time. Works for me. 

Beware! I know nothing.

Don't open it.

Spoiler

Replace KerbalEngineer.dll  https://ufile.io/e33aq

Version number wasn't changed , so "old versions masquerading as latest, and the lack of a smooth update" is not a thing. And it's not non-derivative work, is it?

If it's inappropriate, send me a message — I will delete the link.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was trying to debug an issue with suicide burn readout being suicidal to use (i.e. hitting the surface of Mun at hundreds of m/s), and noticed it's actually due to a glitch with Altitude (Terrain)

• Assume starting a session (i.e. reloading a game) at above 10000m at Mun.
  • When the ship has never passed below 10000m* at Mun, the "Altitude (Terrain)" is almost exactly equal to the "Altitude (Sea Level)"
  • After the ship has passed below 10000m at Mun, the "Altitude (Terrain)" becomes the true altitude above the surface.
  • If the ship goes above 10000m again, the "Altitude (Terrain)" will be lower than the "Altitude (Sea Level)" by a constant amount equal to the difference when passing through 10000m

This is why the suicide burn distance wasn't working, as long as you're above 10000m it assumes the ship has 10000m to stop in, when it could be only 4000m (or if you've already passed through 10000m on a previous orbit it could be messed up in all sorts of other ways, like thinking you have 6000m to stop in when you actually have 9000m). I also poked through the source code because at first I thought there was something wrong with the suicide burn distance calculation, but that was when I noticed that the "Altitude (Terrain)" was just plain wrong, and the suicide burn calculation is using that just plain wrong altitude.

I do note that "Better Burn Time" does not seem to suffer from this glitch, or at least there is no sharp discontinuity in its "impact time" readout when passing through 10000m and seems accurate.

Edited by blakemw

What's wrong with this picture?

KER-whatswrong.png

KER thinks I have 3871 m/s, but Tsiolkovsky would tell me I have only 1409 m/s, assuming one unit liquid fuel = 5 kg. 

I built this craft with components launched to low Kerbin orbit with a cargo SSTO, roughly 40 tonnes at a time. The first launch was that drive module that includes the twelve Mk1 fuel fuselages, three LV-N rockets, and everything else up to the first docking port. This original craft had over 7 km/s by itself, but the number didn't drop as I piled on modules.

By comparison, if I launch the drive module into LKO with a rocket - the stock Kerbal-X launcher can almost do it - then the dV shrinks as I pile on modules.

There were other quirks. When launched from the space plane, the original root part of the drive module was a tri-coupler, and I attached a 1.25 m decoupler to one of the LV-Ns. That part returned to Kerbin on the space plane. When launched from a rocket, the root was that first docking port.

While I can do my own math and get these guys home if I shed some modules at Duna, I'd like to know if there's a way to have KER re-calculate dV based on the current known properties of the craft. Maybe tell it where the root part is somehow?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.