[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Looks more like there's just nothing to display.

There is a lot for sure.

Have you flown a test flight to verify the craft's behavior is in-line with the engineering report?

I flown these things enough times to know what I'm saying. If don't you believe me, feel free to check.

The calculations are performed well without the bank, and don't work with it. Probably some other things affect it to.

puIduHM.jpg

Edited by Absolute Human

I did a little experimenting and I came up with this, which I think is more useful (no offense) at illustrating the problem. If you move the batteries from the outer column to the inner column, it blanks out stage 1. For some reason it blanks out all the stages above it, as long as they run in parallel. Even if it has a part, a decoupler in this case, separating it. The only consistency I can find is if it has a resource in it, this problem occurs. I don't have a piece with liquid fuel and another resource to test if it only happens when it hits a different resource but there it is.

AFA9C2C5C070D43F6B746D24D1567D484B793CA4

EDIT: You testing sake, you could try putting a pair of SRB's on top (stage them in stage 0) and see if that calculates correctly. It may not be all other resources, just ones that are not used to calculate deltaV. I'd do it but I need to head back to work.

Edited by Hyomoto

not sure why, but all of the sudden, after updating several other mods, and adding a couple, the Flight engineer chip part won't load anymore... even after I delete and replace this mod with a fresh DL of the newest version... the strange thing is... I look in ksp.log, and I see this:

[LOG 20:02:28.781] Load(Texture): Engineer/ToolbarDisabled
[LOG 20:02:28.831] Load(Texture): Engineer/ToolbarEnabled
[LOG 20:02:28.848] Load(Texture): Engineer/Engineer7500/textures/model000
[LOG 20:02:28.977] Load(Texture): Engineer/EngineerChip/textures/EngineerChipHighRes
[LOG 20:02:29.064] Load(Texture): Engineer/EngineerChipFlight/textures/EngineerChipHighRes

I also see the model and config loads in the log, however, the chip does NOT show up in the VAB....

hey, i found the problem, sort of...

[LOG 20:06:26.249] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Engineer/EngineerChipFlight/part/EngineerChipFlight'
[ERR 20:06:26.252] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model from 'Engineer/EngineerChipFlight' directory as model does not exist
[ERR 20:06:26.253] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model
[ERR 20:06:26.254] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

however, I look in the directory, and everything appears to be there... it's not the filename... I tried renaming... no dice...

the thing I did with mods (today, was working just yesterday...) are:

• applied the novapunch2 hotfix
  • added crew manifest
  • added infernalRobotics
  • updated toolbar, kethane, RealChute, and EngineerRedux
  • added toolbar and FAR optional modules to MechJeb
  • deleted ISA MapSat (it doesn't work, anyhow...)

all mods are up-to-date, and engineer was working before I made these changes, and I would think that any conflicts between these mods would have been reported already, considering their popularity...

edit: I got the part back by copying the model from the other chip, and replacing the existing model. also added a renamed copy as well... however, my flights don't appear to have returned...that's waht I get for not backing up the save... however, the craft files are no longer locked, so I just have to launch the 3 stations I lost... needed to revise them anyhow...

Edited by Commissar
yay, fixed it

I just downloaded Engineer, and it's already greatly helped me figure out a bunch of fiddly calculations related to my first interplanetary flight, so first I wanted to thank you for this very helpful mod.

I do have one question, though. Is there any way to see what delta-V you could get out of a stage using RCS thrusters? I was trying to figure out if it was more optimal to use one of the tiny engines or simply use RCS to land a probe on eve's tiny asteroid moon. The gravity is light enough that either ought to work, but I was having a hard time figuring out which propulsion option would give my probe a better delta-v budget. I wanted to use the engineer to figure this out, but it doesn't seem to be aware of the thrust potential of RCS - it says that any stage with only RCS thrusters has no delta-v.

If this isn't possible, perhaps you might want to consider it for a future version? I know RCS-only probes are a fairly niche thing, but it'd still be quite useful for planning flights to those tiny moons. And for that matter, RCS can still be useful for adjusting trajectories and orbits on larger craft - it'd be nice to have some idea of how much delta-v you'd be able to pull off that way.

... Is there any way to see what delta-V you could get out of a stage using RCS thrusters?

While I would like KER to include such a feature, I suggest this mod I am using: RCS Build Aid. Only works in the VAB/SPH, not in flight, but better than nothing.

It provides Delta-V with RCS for the ship as a whole (instead of for every stage) so it may require some effort to determine RCS thrust at each stage, but it is usually good enough for probes, lander modules last stages and orbital tugs.

So I am not the smartest person with computers, but I have tried to get KER to work but when I put the build engineer on my ship, the menus don't show up. I think that I have not put all the files in the correct places. So if someone could help me out, I would be grateful :)

I would love to have a part-less version of the engineer chip that only works in the VAB/Hanger.

I don't want to keep the part on my ships as I don't need it in flight and don't want my save games to contain mods. That means I have to remember to put the part on while building and remember to remove it all the time before saving/launching. It would save some hassle to have it always available during construction without the part.

Thank you!

I would love to have a part-less version of the engineer chip that only works in the VAB/Hanger.

I don't want to keep the part on my ships as I don't need it in flight and don't want my save games to contain mods. That means I have to remember to put the part on while building and remember to remove it all the time before saving/launching. It would save some hassle to have it always available during construction without the part.

Thank you!

I agree. I think, especially with the advent of the Toolbar plugin, that it is time for part-less KER. In the meantime, you can add the following code in a .cfg file if module manager is installed (many mods use it, so it was already installed for me)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

Just adding my name to the hordes that cannot use Engineer due to it not updating in the VAB. Still no sign of a fix for this bug? Its a mod killer.

EDIT - just switched to Mechjeb... and it is having similar problems. One of these mods might be the cause...

Toolbar

Chatterer

KAS

KoS

DRE

Mission Controller

Precise Node

Remotetech 2

Alarm clock

steam gauges

TAC Life Support

Thats all I'm using.

Edited by Mulbin

I'm having problems.

I did a little search here but couldnt find anything.

Anyway, it might be something silly, but the GUI doesn't show up during my flights. It show up in the VAB and the toolbar icon tells me it is on, but I just cannot see the screen with the stats when I fly. What could it be?

In the meantime, you can add the following code in a .cfg file if module manager is installed (many mods use it, so it was already installed for me)

This is exactly what I did, except I also added MechJeb and Protractor into the mix as well.

So... I think i found a way to reliably break the flight engineer (locks up and KSP no longer exits correctly).

I'm not sure if this issue only surfaces with big ships (700+ and 1000+ parts) - but the lockup can be prevented by disabling fuel crossfeed on the docking ports.

The 700-parts ship has a linear structure (the other one is a space station with two ships docked, one with KER), like so:

KER-F-E-||--------|-F-E

The right part is the remaining launch engine of the middle section. The section on the left is the C&C module, but also a detachable ship on it's own.

The lockup happens when I enable fuel crossfeed on the red docking port, regardles of the fuel crossfeed setting on the green ones. Enabling or disabling fuel crossfeed for the green docking port seems to have no effect on the flight engineer.

Sideways mounted fuel pods on the central structure (docked separately) are completely irrelevant for this issue. The debug log has no relevant warnings or errors, at least as far as i can tell.

The lockup with the space station is similar, disabling fuel crossfeed on the right docking ports prevents the lockup.

I can upload a screenshot (or anything else) if it helps...

I agree. I think, especially with the advent of the Toolbar plugin, that it is time for part-less KER. In the meantime, you can add the following code in a .cfg file if module manager is installed (many mods use it, so it was already installed for me)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

Where do i exctly add this code? To cfg file of engine calculator part?

edit: its seems that right there.

Edited by kiwiak

I appear to have a problem with Kerbal Engineer.

Whenever i load a vessel in the VAB my game starts to get weird: the buttons in the right top of the screen are grayed out and unclickable. I can't select any part from the catalog, nor can i pick up parts from my vessel. I can't leave the VAB either. All i can do is reboot KSP (which takes forever! :mad: )

It looks quite a bit like in this picture http://imgur.com/CejMZ4x (not mine, from a chap with a similar problem: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57681-Bug-with-Kerbal-Engineering-System)

I'm positive it's KER related, because playing with the engineer.dll removed. resulted in the game running just fine for hours (felt blindfolded though without all that information at my fingertips)

Mods I'm using along side:

B9 with associated plug-ins and .23 workaround

Quantum struts

Crew Manifest

Editor Extentions

Kerbal Joint reinforcement

KWrocketry

Novapunch

Romfarer's docking cam

TiberDyneShuttle

Triggertech

(thats all i swear!)

I hope some one can help me out with this

cheers

Just so everyone knows... I know all about the locking issue, it is because KSP changed the way in which the GUI in the editor is locked with the last update. KER 0.6 has a quick bodge which got the old code working with the new system (works, but can break if not handled properly) while KER 1.0 uses the updated fix. I've been pretty busy with real life, hence the lack of updates. But when I get a bit of free time, some of the smaller bugs like this one will get sorted in a quick hotfix. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.