[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Eeeewww... a return to parts providing functionality. Damn.

At the moment, my early game consists of choosing between an engineer or a pilot in the one-man capsule. Which means I either lose SAS or basic information.

The beauty of Kerbal Engineer v1.x was that it (quite rightly) fixed a gross oversight of the stock game which limits very basic information in the gameplay window and didn't require the use of parts.

This information is available in the map view... but who wants to spend time playing the early game looking at that?

Can I suggest that particular information is available to all professions, irrespective of parts attached or Tracking Station status? To honour what's available in the stock game, Altitude, Altitude (sea). Apo, Peri, Time to Apo and Time to Peri should always be available.

PeeEss: Wuv You.

Edited by TMS

I'm sure we'd all appreciate, at the very least, a more compact module for the basic entry level commands--perhaps one more smaller or more rounded than the current square chip that sticks off the edges of a 1.25m or even .625m rocket :).

Oh man, with FAR the drag on the flight part is terrible.

Please help, I have updated to 0.90 just now, along with nearly all my mods, and the only issue I have is that nearly all my craft are getting deleted when I open the game because of Kerbal Engineer: http://imgur.com/AfIofmK

From the OP:

Please note that v1.0 is not backwards compatible with saves containing v0.6 without some save file tweaking.

Said save file tweaking can consist of many things - the most fun being installing ChopIt! and detaching the KER parts before upgrading. Another slightly more complicated and involved method is outlined here.

I love the fact that you need an engineer to get KER data.

I could even have accepted if only engineers could enable KER at all, that would have made them crucial to a mission.

I always thought engineers needed more love, and repairs are not enough of a task.

I hate to make things harder for myself, but it'd be cool if pilots were needed for anything related to orbits, engineers for anything related to the rocket, and scientists for anything related to observations. So Apoapsis height or time needs a pilot. dV needs an engineer. Biome you're over or time to impact needs a scientist.

There are tons of gray areas of course it's just a thought.

Anyone have any idea why my KER button is grayed out and the windows do not display once I leave the VAB? It is intermittent as I have used KER without issue, just all of a sudden started occuring. Any ideas? http://imgur.com/yU9yQa5
For anyone who hasn't yet checked under settings in the VAB/SPH. You can change the Flight Engineer activation mode from career to partless for the same behaviour as before.

this fixed if for me. you have to add a command pod first, to bring up the settings menu but once you change it, it should affect all existing craft.

I did not, but that did do the trick. Was curious why I hadn't had to do it before. Thanks for the link from cybutek too!

In career mode, you need an engineer or a chip (or to make that change cybutek mentioned in the settings) to see the readout in flight. It's embracing Kerbal Professions.

Before, there were no professions so this was not a thing :)

I hate to make things harder for myself, but it'd be cool if pilots were needed for anything related to orbits, engineers for anything related to the rocket, and scientists for anything related to observations. So Apoapsis height or time needs a pilot. dV needs an engineer. Biome you're over or time to impact needs a scientist.

This... is genius. Would really give priority to 3 man crews.

As a companion thought, would it be possible to allow the parts to provide only limited engineering data, and only if there are no crew-capable pods in the vessel? It currently seems a bit easy to just whack an engineering chip and a probe core onto a 1-man ship with a scientist in it. Not having KER at all on probes will just result in people turning to MechJeb for their numbers, but providing the basics to unmanned flights, with full details only available via a full 3-man crew as 5thHorseman suggested, would keep the pressure up for manned missions while not driving people to alternative mods :)

(Simple example; maybe probes can't keep up with both altimetry and slope data, so they only get the former. If I remember right the Apollo landers couldn't track the command modules at the same time as using their landing radar, so data bandwidth issues are a great excuse to cut unmanned vessels down to the bare basics. Even apoapsis and periapsis are optional readouts, since the stock game does provide them in other, less convenient, ways.)

From the OP:

Said save file tweaking can consist of many things - the most fun being installing ChopIt! and detaching the KER parts before upgrading. Another slightly more complicated and involved method is outlined here.

Thanks for the link. I had to contact the user to get some more details about it but they were very helpful. It seems to be working fine now :) :)

I know pretty much nothing about the coding for KER (or really KSP in general). But I noticed a NullRef on scene change from Flight to Editor. It happened several times during my last play session.

Here is the error...Let me know if you need the whole log.

[HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From FLIGHT to EDITOR =====================

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Exception in StartSimulation: System.NullReferenceException:

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.VesselSimulator.PartSim..ctor (.Part thePart, Int32 id, Double atmosphere, KerbalEngineer.LogMsg log) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.VesselSimulator.Simulation.PrepareSimulation (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts, Double theGravity, Double theAtmosphere, Double theVelocity, Boolean dumpTree, Boolean vectoredThrust) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.VesselSimulator.SimManager.StartSimulation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.