[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Hi

Ok i did some more testing, here is what i found, when i start building a new craft, it starts with more delta v as it actually has (i guess). After some reverting to VAB and changening parts delta v drops but then remains stable/ behaves correctly so you just should not get fooled by the first delta v calculations.

Here is the craft file, However, this is after the delta-v drop. Don't know if this is relevant.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09696282641703523541

How do I set partless mode if it`s not the default?

I searched the thread but all I found was that it is supposed to be the default but I just installed the newest version and it`s set to module mode. How do I change it?

Honestly I think it would be best to remove that old module mode, it just causes confusion.

Hi

I just got the newest version 16.6 and when i try to add something (total delta -v) to hud1 it will not get added to it on the launchpad.

- - - Updated - - -

Click on settings in the VAB :-) Then on Partless

Hi

Ok i did some more testing, here is what i found, when i start building a new craft, it starts with more delta v as it actually has (i guess). After some reverting to VAB and changening parts delta v drops but then remains stable/ behaves correctly so you just should not get fooled by the first delta v calculations.

Here is the craft file, However, this is after the delta-v drop. Don't know if this is relevant.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09696282641703523541

The last several versions of tweakscale had issues with reverting, parts would increase in mass, tank capacities change, etc. As much as I like the mod, if I have to revert for any reason, I would have to check every part to make sure they didn't change, which is why I've stopped using it.

Everything about my install of KER on OS X seems A-OK except the stock toolbar icon, which is blank white. Not a huge deal, but it is a little annoying. Anyone have a quick fix I could try? I’m completely comfortable modifying files.

Edited by meyerweb
Cleaned up forum migration errors (Unicode and hyperlinking were both botched—sigh)

Everything about my install of KER on OS X seems A-OK except the stock toolbar icon, which is blank white. Not a huge deal, but it is a little annoying. Anyone have a quick fix I could try? I’m completely comfortable modifying files.

This is usually caused because the icon's image file wasn't where KER was expecting to find it. ("GameData/KerbalEngineer/ToolbarIcon.png").

Some texture compression mods have also been known to sometimes cause problems with icon textures.

cybutek said:
This is usually caused because the icon's image file wasn't where KER was expecting to find it. ("GameData/KerbalEngineer/ToolbarIcon.png").

Yep, the problem was I dropped the “KerbalEngineer-1.0.16.4” folder into GameData instead of pulling “KerbalEngineer” out and dropping that into GameData. Thanks!

Edited by meyerweb
Cleaned up forum migration errors (Unicode and hyperlinking were both botched—sigh)

Quick question: if I modify my physics.cfg, will KER take the new values out of it or does it have the current version compatibility values hard coded into it (meaning it will take 1.0.2 values of physics.cfg)?

Quick Question:

I used a google-spreadsheet for my calculations, before I decided, I have done this enough times and can use a mod now. In this sheet I calculate my first stage + Boosters under the influence of the Atmosphere at sealevel, which means lower ISP/Thrust. I know it's not correct, but better save than sorry. When i calculate my rocket with KER, I have 300m/s more available at the start.

Is it possible to integrate an option for the Delta-V/ISP/Force-Calculation at start?

So I think I caught a bug.

As of recently, physicsless parts (PhysicsSignificance=1) are not massless anymore, but rather, they impart their mass to the parent-part that they're attached to.

If this is the case, attaching a physicsless part to the side of something should increase it's mass, but not induce any torque. Yet KER seems to be assuming torque would occur:

hyjfgvW.png

So I think I caught a bug.

As of recently, physicsless parts (PhysicsSignificance=1) are not massless anymore, but rather, they impart their mass to the parent-part that they're attached to.

If this is the case, attaching a physicsless part to the side of something should increase it's mass, but not induce any torque. Yet KER seems to be assuming torque would occur:

http://i.imgur.com/hyjfgvW.png

Do you know what torque is?

imagine an axis that goes from where you are looking at the Picture, through the part/ship and out the hangar.

when you launch it it gets hit by "wind" or air crating drag.

the air will hit your battery and push on it and create torque along the axis which will result in a spin towards the right in this case.

Torque will occur, IRL anyways.

Doesnt it occur in game? have you tested it out?

imagine an axis that goes from where you are looking at the Picture, through the part/ship and out the hangar.

the air will hit your battery and push on it and create torque along the axis which will result in a spin towards the right in this case.

Doesnt it occur in game? have you tested it out?

Actually a good way for him to test that is to fire up RCS build aid and see if the torque changes with it as well....

Last time I looked, KER only reported torque from misaligned thrust vector - I was under the impression it was intentionally not calculating aero effects.

Thats certainly the behavior I want out of it, anyway - unless controls are added to give torque for a specific atmospheric pressure.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the torque caused from drag would vary with a heap of things, you cannot put a fixed label of 'x amount of torque' due to drag without defining the speed, the pressure...

And at any speed above a couple meters a second, the drag on the given picture would cause a lot more than 400Nm of torque. Thats gonna be torque due to misaligned thrust vector, like it should be.

Yes, I know what torque is, hence why I brought the issue to everyone's attention.

What you're talking about is just drag. And just because a part would drag IRL doesn't mean KER ought to be modeling a torque caused by thrust/mass, which is the case here.

Doesn't it occur in game? have you tested it out?

The torque KER alleges should occur does not occur.

Assuming physicsless parts may cause drag (which we don't know to be the case, but hey lets play it safe) here's 2 tests: (1) Launching from Minmus flats (because they're flat like a launchpad) and the environment is vacuum or (2) launching from the KSC launchpad, but make sure the unbalanced physicsless part is inside a faring with a craft like this:

4CDMWe3.jpg

In either test case, one must lock the gimbal and disable SAS.

Quick Question:

I used a google-spreadsheet for my calculations, before I decided, I have done this enough times and can use a mod now. In this sheet I calculate my first stage + Boosters under the influence of the Atmosphere at sealevel, which means lower ISP/Thrust. I know it's not correct, but better save than sorry. When i calculate my rocket with KER, I have 300m/s more available at the start.

Is it possible to integrate an option for the Delta-V/ISP/Force-Calculation at start?

Assuming I haven't misunderstood the question, have you tried clicking the Atmospheric button?

A quick return to the mass and part numbers

dzw7sw.jpg

As seen, there is no RCS fuel. All liq fuel tanks full. Still mass is reported to be 15/10,743. You can also see parts count reported to be 2/20.

Mods installed (1.0.2): Alarm clock, proc. fairings, sounding rockets, KOS and KER, all latest versions.

EDIT: Removed the decoupler and now parts count is 0/19, mass is 0/10,738.

Edited by LN400

Hi,

I have a problem during launch/flight. I can't see KER at all. If I click the KER button, nothing happens.

It works in VAB though.

I had the same problem in KSP 0.90 since KER version 1.0.14, so I kept using 1.0.13.

Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks in advance

Edit: oops, that was silly. I just read through the Change log, and saw the addition of career mode in version 1.0.14...

Edited by Lenniepen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.