[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

I think there may be a bug with KER causing hangs on ship load/jumps, possibly related to a Widnow/Window type. I get this screen:

https://i.imgur.com/Q7YBEF5.png

And both the GUI/ESC key are non-functional. Only way to resolve is restarting. My suspicion of the KER is from the output.log, which I can provide if helpful.

I think there may be a bug with KER causing hangs on ship load/jumps, possibly related to a Widnow/Window type. I get this screen:

https://i.imgur.com/Q7YBEF5.png

And both the GUI/ESC key are non-functional. Only way to resolve is restarting. My suspicion of the KER is from the output.log, which I can provide if helpful.

Yes, please. I've not seen anything like that and the screenshot you've shown doesn't really implicate KER except in that the KER button is missing from the stock toolbar...

Yes, please. I've not seen anything like that and the screenshot you've shown doesn't really implicate KER except in that the KER button is missing from the stock toolbar...

Dropbox link to output.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f3y0hqvwf4nrg2/output_log.txt?dl=0

Best I can tell, the problems start around line 87300. Search for "Widnow" to see the typo I'm referring to. Note that this is x64, but I've never had any issues previously.

Dropbox link to output.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f3y0hqvwf4nrg2/output_log.txt?dl=0

Best I can tell, the problems start around line 87300. Search for "Widnow" to see the typo I'm referring to. Note that this is x64, but I've never had any issues previously.

That typo is just a typo in the debug message that is reporting the exception. I don't believe your problems are anything to do with KER, there are loads of exceptions from other sources earlier in your log:

Starting on line 37682 and repeating multiple times every scene change (I don't actually think this is a problem as it appears in lots of logs:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Starting at line 44244 VABCamera (not sure if this is stock or from a mod) gives this each time the VAB is entered:

at UIManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIManager.DidAnyPointerHitUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at VABCamera.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Starting at line 45741, PlanetShine is giving 1 exception per celestial body on each scene change:

System.ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null. Parameter name: s

at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetShine.ConfigManager.LoadBody (.ConfigNode bodySettings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Line 52540 looks similar to the VABCamera one but this is for the space center (so these are probably stock):

at UIManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIManager.DidAnyPointerHitUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceCenterCamera2.InputCamera () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceCenterCamera2.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And then the serious, gamebreaking exceptions start on line 55560 with:

Packing KSS Outer Ferry for orbit

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Transform:INTERNAL_CALL_TransformDirection (UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Vector3&)

at UnityEngine.Transform.TransformDirection (Vector3 direction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveJoint.getControlOrt (Vector3 refAxis, PartSpaceMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveJoint.applyCoordsUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveJoint.onPartPack (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[Part].Fire (.Part data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.Pack () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.GoOnRails () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OrbitPhysicsManager.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This is repeated for about 4000 lines and then it looks like you quickloaded and it starts doing the same thing again at line 60938 and continues for another 5000 lines.

You then appear to quickload again and this time three of these get dumped (line 65376):

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.GameObject:get_transform ()

at ModelMultiParticlePersistFX.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This time instead of the OrbitPhyscs exception, you get this spammed (line 66625), indicating a problem with the orbit of the vessel:

dT is NaN! tA: 3.27392050623894, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

It then looks like you went back to the space center and then loaded again and this time got both the NaN lines (69092) and the OrbitPhysicsManager exceptions (69144).

This repeated at least once more and then, when trying to quickload you got this (line 81401):

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.recurseCoMs (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.recurseCoMs (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.findLocalCenterOfMass () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProtoVessel..ctor (.Vessel VesselRef) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ContractConfigurator.ContractVesselTracker+<>c__DisplayClassb.<OnVesselDestroy>b__8 (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Vessel].GetIndex (Int32 startIndex, Int32 count, System.Predicate`1 match) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Vessel].Find (System.Predicate`1 match) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ContractConfigurator.ContractVesselTracker.OnVesselDestroy (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Which I believe left KSP in a very bad internal state. This was followed by various NaN messages and then this at line 81935:

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FloatingOrigin.setOffset (Vector3d refPos) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FloatingOrigin.SetOffset (Vector3d refPos) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightDriver.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Which is more indication of the messes up internal state of KSP. Distant object enhancement then gave this at line 82048:

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DistantObject.FlareDraw.AddVesselFlare (.Vessel referenceShip) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DistantObject.FlareDraw.GenerateVesselFlares () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DistantObject.FlareDraw.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And from line 82129, all sorts of things are giving exceptions because of KSP's messed up state.

KER displays Earth time instead of Kerbin time in the 'Time To Node Burn'. Is there a way I can change that?

rtJQqyc.jpg

Edit:

Also it has problems calculating the correct TWR for Karbonite propelled engines.

jkhpEIQ.jpg

The number goes crazy whenever I change my orbit. I even saw values >100,000.

Edited by *Aqua*

Thanks Padishar, very thorough. I've corroborated your conclusion that it's not KER-related by uninstalling KER and confirming that I can replicate the glitching. Still an issue, but not KER-related, so I'll take it out of this thread.

EDIT: It appears the true culprit was Contract Configurator, FWIW. Started with clean install and added back in mods until glitches returned. Confirmed removing CC eliminated glitches. Damn. No anomaly surveying for me for a while

Edited by DanielWaterhouse

Hi, i'm missing some stats, please add them!

Rendezvous: Time to closest Distance within 1 or more Orbits, Closest Distance (for now i have to have AlarmClock open to get this values)

Vessel: Total Part Cost (to estimate if its worth to send chutes to deorbit entire stations)

Have to say i love this Mod since i dumped mechjeb for ressource hogging ;)

Anyways, bug with KER and orbits with a period of decades, using the current version.

Not really a bug considering you can change KER to use Kerbin time with a readout under the Misc. category. But I understand that feature should be automatic. :)

7XteSNw.png

I have 505 m/s of delta-v, and a maneuver node that will use 337.4 m/s.

3qBHhzt.png

Here is the burn being performed. At the end, I should have 505 - 337.4 = 167.6 m/s of delta-v left.

8G3sBfi.png

Instead, I magically have 142.6 m/s less than that.

Why do I have less delta-v after a burn than what KE says I should have before the burn is initiated? Or is KE exaggerating the amount of available delta-v prior to the burn?

edit: I think I got it - it's because KE is assuming that I'm going to decouple that payload (which has no propellant whatsoever) first before burning. Is there a way that I can make it so that it does not take a decoupling like that into account when calculating the dv?

Edited by Pipcard

You can change that behavior by either making a payload part the root part (tricky in this case as there are three payloads but there can be only one root), or by using docking ports instead of decouplers for your satellites as KER ignores ports in the vessel simulation.

May I ask for an entry for the "Surface" category? "True heading" - the angle between horizontal velocity and North.

I don't care where my nose is pointing (I can read it from the navball anyway), I care about where my craft is going! (and the Prograde marker is somewhere... out, down there, way out of sight and around the central dot of the brown half). Before I start my vertical braking I want to nix my horizontal velocity, but I have no clue where to turn to do that. Using True Heading I could just turn to the opposite side and burn the main engine, or even use SAS "translate backwards".

Alternatively, horizontal direction split into latitudal and longitudal components. If I'm moving 3m/s North and 4ms East, I'd know how much of each of the two components to shed. Otherwise, the Horizontal Velocity is a black box, a composite of two important variables.

---

chiming in on bugs. Today's Mun landing. Good 230m/s mostly horizontal and a good altitude above the surface. Suggested Suicide Burn dV arouns 180m/s, a time matching that. Yeah, it was some 180m/s of the vertical component of speed; came about right after I loaded from a save, then stopped dead (almost) over the surface and then braked vertically.

Edited by Sharpy

edit: I think I got it - it's because KE is assuming that I'm going to decouple that payload (which has no propellant whatsoever) first before burning. Is there a way that I can make it so that it does not take a decoupling like that into account when calculating the dv?

Yes. Right-click them in the VAB and remove them from staging. You will have to active them manually but that shouldn't be much of a struggle.

I'm unsure if this is a bug with KER or if there's something else going on, but while using KER 1.0.17.0 and flying any air-breathing vessels in Kerbin's atmosphere, the "Intake Air (usage)" entry in the Flight Engineer/Vessel panel always reads as 0.00% regardless of what altitude I fly at, what throttle setting I'm at, or how much Intake Air KSP's UI says my craft has.

I posted a thread in Steam's KSP forum, but no one commented after two days, so I thought I'd post here to see if I'm alone with the issue or if something broke moving from 1.0.16.6 to 1.0.17.1.

KER is the only mod I installed after cleanly installing KSP last week.

I had KER 1.0.16.6 previous to upgrading to 1.0.17.1.

My game license is linked to Steam, and I let it update KSP for me.

Edited by Migz-DH

Also it has problems calculating the correct TWR for Karbonite propelled engines.

http://i.imgur.com/jkhpEIQ.jpg

The number goes crazy whenever I change my orbit. I even saw values >100,000.

I'll take a look at Karbonite to try to work out what is happening. Has it been updated for 1.0.4? Can you give any more details and/or an example save file or craft files that I could try?

I'm unsure if this is a bug with KER or if there's something else going on, but while using KER 1.0.17.0 and flying any air-breathing vessels in Kerbin's atmosphere, the "Intake Air (usage)" entry in the Flight Engineer/Vessel panel always reads as 0.00% regardless of what altitude I fly at, what throttle setting I'm at, or how much Intake Air KSP's UI says my craft has.

I posted a thread in Steam's KSP forum, but no one commented after two days, so I thought I'd post here to see if I'm alone with the issue or if something broke moving from 1.0.16.6 to 1.0.17.1.

KER is the only mod I installed after cleanly installing KSP last week.

I had KER 1.0.16.6 previous to upgrading to 1.0.17.1.

My game license is linked to Steam, and I let it update KSP for me.

The deltaV calculations for air-breathing engines was modified to correctly ignore the mass of the IntakeAir in certain calculations to fix the incorrect burn times and deltaV. Are you saying that you were using 1.0.16.6 in KSP 1.0.4 and it was giving correct values for the intake air usage? If so, then the problem should be fairly easy to track down...

The deltaV calculations for air-breathing engines was modified to correctly ignore the mass of the IntakeAir in certain calculations to fix the incorrect burn times and deltaV. Are you saying that you were using 1.0.16.6 in KSP 1.0.4 and it was giving correct values for the intake air usage? If so, then the problem should be fairly easy to track down...

I have pushed a fix for the intake air usage. It broke because of a dodgy change I made.

Karbonite is still at 1.0.2. But I had the same problems back then.

I posted an issue a few days ago: https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/issues/42

I'm not sure what the exact problem is. Maybe KER doesn't realize that Karbonite is a fuel?

Yes, I saw the issue but didn't have time to look into it. It sounds like there may be a number of separate issues but until I take a look I can't be sure. Hopefully I can look into it this afternoon...

Edited by Padishar

So I've found a little but annoying bug that only occurs in quite specific circumstances.

Ingredients: KER 1.0.17.0, Interstellar Fuel Switch 1.14, any engine that also contains fuel (I use the Beagle from Stock Part Revamp) and a config that allows that fuel tank to be switched.

Recipe: Build a simple rocket that consists of any pod, any fuel tank, the aforementioned engine, a decoupler, some more fuel tanks and any other normal engine.

The problem is that KER doesn't calculate any ÃŽâ€v or TWR etc info for the rocket. Here's a picture that should help illustrate it:

YVNiwjr.jpg

You can (faintly) see the bottom two tanks and Swivel engine, (clearly) see the engine info, the Fuel Switch info and KER not accounting for this. The log gets spammed with

at ModuleEngines.CalculateThrust () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleEngines.ThrustUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleEngines.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

at StackIconInfoBox.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(full log here)

Removing InterstellarFuelSwitch does fix this issue, but then again, so would removing the modded engine or KER.. So, it's a little bug and one that I don't necessarily expect a fix for (though I'd like it), but it effectively renders that engine useless (which is annoying as it comes before the Terrier in the tech tree).

I can't see any obvious reason why removing KER would stop that exception. It looks like fuel switch is doing something that causes engine parts to break. Does it also happen with the stock ARM liquid booster parts if fuel switch is added to them? I'm on mobile internet at the moment and don't really want to download a large parts pack, I'm having problems downloading Karbonite as it is... ;)

Huh, weird... That ARM LFB Twin Boar doesn't appear to be affected, it seems like it's just that engine.. what's more interesting is that it's just in that configuration - if I swap the engines around (Swivel on top, Beagle on bottom), everything is calculated normally. Well, I'm stumped then - if there was some problem with IFS, the Twin Boar would be affected. If the engine config was weird, it'd be broken no matter where it was placed. I don't even know where to continue with this then :|

(EDIT: Now I think of it, Near Future has an engine with LFO included, I wonder if that has the same problem..)

Can you try clicking the KER settings button and Select the "Verbose simulation log" button. It will indent and then pop out after a short delay. This basically makes the next run of the vessel simulation code dump lots of stuff to output_log.txt. Upload it somewhere and I'll take a look and see if I can extract any clues...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.