Laie

Eve 3000

Whoa! and I haven't even found the time to install v1.5 to try your previous craft. Seriously, I wasn't even aware that a new version had dropped until I was unable to load your vessel.

49 minutes ago, Laie said:

Whoa! and I haven't even found the time to install v1.5 to try your previous craft. Seriously, I wasn't even aware that a new version had dropped until I was unable to load your vessel.

The new burn time indicator is pretty neat. I used custom action groups to disable/enable engines without staging and it's smart enough to update the burn time numbers before it's too late! :)

Finally got around to updating the front page.

@ManEatingApe : I've been messing around a little the past few days and it seems as if you found the sweet spot. Your set of engines produces the most bang for the buck, by a considerable margin.

It may still be possible to save a few hundred bucks here or there, but I don't think one can trim it down so much as to shave a single LFB from your combo.

I think some congratulations are in order. Well done!

Edited by Laie
removed some redundant double repetitions, which was rather redundant (not to say repetitive) and also quite unnecessary.

Thanks! This is an engaging challenge and a great way to push the boundaries of Eve lander design.
The variety in the various entries is interesting and should provide inspiration for future missions.

I feel everyone who participated so far has conclusively shown that an Eve ore contract is not just possible* but actually profitable!

* Having seen some of the inspired lunacy that happens on these forums perhaps I should say probable instead ;-)

Edited by ManEatingApe
  • Like 1

Hats off to you @ManEatingApe that was too good.  You are the deserved winner of this challenge.

Edited by jinnantonix
  • Like 1

I want to say that even though this challenge has already been thoroughly plastered by the usual suspects, I still find it intriguing, as one of the few common challenges I had never done before in this game was to mount an Eve sample return mission.  After 20-odd hours of work I  ended up with a craft that bristles with ugly struts and costs $400,000 and change, but it can survive a ballistic Eve re-entry at 500 tons and then make orbit again with 2000 m/s dV to spare, which for me is an achievement, even though my original version was not carrying anywhere near 15 tons of dead weight to orbit.  Having gotten that far, I was scrolling through the challenges forum looking for Eve Rocks when I found this thread. Of course what I have now does not constitute a valid entry for this challenge, nor do I think that I could outdo @ManEatingApe's excellent submission based on  straight-up, one-piece sea level lifter, even if I redesigned it to purpose. However, more devious approaches occur to me, and I wonder if OP  @Laie might entertain them to keep this challenge alive a bit longer. It occurs to me that you could in theory land a wheeled craft near sea level, use it to extract the required ore, and then drive it to a higher elevation for takeoff. You could also land a mother ship at high elevation, detach said rover from it to retrieve the ore from near sea level, then dock up the ore tank and take off from the higher site. Anyway, would you consider such a submission? It's the only  way I can see of significantly beating what's there now, and I'd love to give it a shot.

Edited by herbal space program

7 hours ago, herbal space program said:

It occurs to me that you could in theory land a wheeled craft near sea level, use it to extract the required ore, and then drive it to a higher elevation for takeoff.

The purpose was to make everyone play the same challenge. Not that it was strictly necessary... without the requirement for sea level everyone would have gone to the same mountaintop, I presume. Anyway, the point was not that ore has to come from the lowlands, but that the lifter is supposed to be sea-level capable.

There was an attempt to reboot Eve Rocks, but not much has come of it.

For one thing, I don't think an Eve Return is as hard as it used to be; the other, it takes a special kind of person to keep a challenge like that running for years. You have to look at every entry with a critical eye. After half a year they all started looking the same and I found it hard to still pay attention. On top of that, for something as involved as Eve Rocks or Jool-5, checking a submission is easily an hour of work. Boolybooly or Ziv or (these days) JacobJHC don't get nearly as many kudos as they deserve.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 9:38 PM, ManEatingApe said:

Thanks! This is an engaging challenge and a great way to push the boundaries of Eve lander design.
The variety in the various entries is interesting and should provide inspiration for future missions.

I feel everyone who participated so far has conclusively shown that an Eve ore contract is not just possible* but actually profitable!

* Having seen some of the inspired lunacy that happens on these forums perhaps I should say probable instead ;-)

5 hours ago, Laie said:

The purpose was to make everyone play the same challenge. Not that it was strictly necessary... without the requirement for sea level everyone would have gone to the same mountaintop, I presume. Anyway, the point was not that ore has to come from the lowlands, but that the lifter is supposed to be sea-level capable.

There was an attempt to reboot Eve Rocks, but not much has come of it.

For one thing, I don't think an Eve Return is as hard as it used to be; the other, it takes a special kind of person to keep a challenge like that running for years. You have to look at every entry with a critical eye. After half a year they all started looking the same and I found it hard to still pay attention. On top of that, for something as involved as Eve Rocks or Jool-5, checking a submission is easily an hour of work. Boolybooly or Ziv or (these days) JacobJHC don't get nearly as many kudos as they deserve.

There are also mission contracts that require you to return a stranded Kerbal from Eve including the wreckage.

I think a good challenge would be to retrieve a wrecked ship. The general challenge rule could be to retrieve a specific vessel from Eve surface using a specific savegame file and the one who uses the lightest and cheapest vessel wins.

Or divide the challenge into weight or volume classes and the best winner wins.

Various ways of retrieving cargo using a pusher or puller rocket or a internal Mk3 cargo bay. One should make a mechanism to dock with a stranded vessel. One should find a way to lift the cargo into a aerodynamic position. So a stranded mk2 vessel that doesn't fit into a mk3 cargo bay should be lifted vertically while resting horizontally on the ground.

I won't organize this challenge but maybe it inspires somebody else.

Edited by Aeroboi

1 hour ago, Aeroboi said:

There are also mission contracts that require you to return a stranded Kerbal from Eve including the wreckage.

I think a good challenge would be to retrieve a wrecked ship. The general challenge rule could be to retrieve a specific vessel from Eve surface using a specific savegame file and the one who uses the lightest and cheapest vessel wins.

What comes to mind for me is an out-of-fuel Mk3 capsule/uppermost stage combo with a docking port,  that is splashed down somewhere in the ocean at least 10 km from land. There would be no rule about the elevation from which you can ultimately ascend back to orbit, but of course you have to devise a way to get your cargo to the launch site from the sea. It would be like an Eve Triathlon -- swim, drive, fly.  I guess I would have separate leader boards for lowest launch weight, lowest mission launch cost, and maybe lowest part count. I think that is a challenge that would not necessarily converge to one winning solution so quickly, but like you I don't know if I'm up for organizing it. The last time I did one, there were some initial positive reactions and then no entries at all, and it was a way quicker and easier mission than this one would be. I'll give it some thought anyway....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

What comes to mind for me is an out-of-fuel Mk3 capsule/uppermost stage combo with a docking port,  that is splashed down somewhere in the ocean at least 10 km from land. There would be no rule about the elevation from which you can ultimately ascend back to orbit, but of course you have to devise a way to get your cargo to the launch site from the sea. It would be like an Eve Triathlon -- swim, drive, fly.  I guess I would have separate leader boards for lowest launch weight, lowest mission launch cost, and maybe lowest part count. I think that is a challenge that would not necessarily converge to one winning solution so quickly, but like you I don't know if I'm up for organizing it. The last time I did one, there were some initial positive reactions and then no entries at all, and it was a way quicker and easier mission than this one would be. I'll give it some thought anyway....

Considering this challenge currently runs it might be a good idea to launch one sooner then later. Perhaps further interest will follow. By the looks of it people are both interested in amphibious vessels plus rockets and rovers no mind construction to get it done so I bet a lot of people will be interested in this.

7 hours ago, Laie said:

The purpose was to make everyone play the same challenge. Not that it was strictly necessary... the point was not that ore has to come from the lowlands, but that the lifter is supposed to be sea-level capable.

I guess it hinges on whether or not you consider driving your several hundred ton lifter up a mountain under its own power "launching" it. Anyway you gave me the answer I expected on that score, but I still thought it was worth asking :D

3 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

Considering this challenge currently runs it might be a good idea to launch one sooner then later. Perhaps further interest will follow. By the looks of it people are both interested in amphibious vessels plus rockets and rovers no mind construction to get it done so I bet a lot of people will be interested in this.

OK,  I'm going to take a stab at it this evening. I agree that with well-contrived rules and sub-challenges it could appeal to a fair number of people, even though it's a pretty tall order all around. I think I'll have categories for both lowest launch cost and lowest launch weight, with the stipulation that you must at least reach LKO before you can mine any resources. I might throw in fastest recovery time as well, since that would be a completely different sort of challenge and might generate some entertaining craft. If you guys can think of any other categories that seem viable, please let me know!