Drag cubes and pogo sticks.

So, here's the code:

part.DragCubes.Procedural = true;
            part.DragCubes.ForceUpdate(true, true, true);
            part.DragCubes.SetDragWeights();

Pretty simple eh?  Well, here's the problem.  If, procedural is set to true and I try to SetDragWeights, attempting to attach a part to a mirrored part takes on all the aspects of a pogo stick ride.

I have these 3 lines running in my OnStart event.  I place any part in the hangar.  I then place a mirrored part with my partmodule on that one.  I then try to attach a part to the stack node on one of those mirrored parts (also with my partmodule).   As I move the stack nodes closer together they snap into position.  That creates a new mirrored part and executes  my OnStart. Those 3 lines then break the snap between the stack nodes and I assume the mirrored part vanishes.  Then the original part tries again to snap to the node. The mirrored part is instantly created again, running my OnStart event causing the part to vanish... ad infinitum. 

So, here's my questions

What does procedural actually do?  (ya, this is someone else's code being used with permission.)  If it set it to false, I don't get the part hopping.

Next, what does that SetDragWeights actually do?  If I leave it out, I don't get the hopping.  I spat out the array part.DragCubes.WeightedDrag after each of those lines and at no time did I see that weighted drag array change.  (and the part size, mass, etc definitely changed in the process.)

Thanks.

Procedural rebuilds the Drag cube from the part Geometry each frame. It is slow and should only be used for stuff where the geometry has unlimited variation. And it most likely destroys any other info on the cube.

SetDragWeights set how much each of your list of cube contributes. You are supposed to lerp between 2 of the cubes with it.

And I am not sure how anything dragcube related reacts in the Editor since of lot of it is related to the FlighIntegrator and it does not run in the Editor.

4 hours ago, sarbian said:

Procedural rebuilds the Drag cube from the part Geometry each frame. It is slow and should only be used for stuff where the geometry has unlimited variation. And it most likely destroys any other info on the cube.

SetDragWeights set how much each of your list of cube contributes. You are supposed to lerp between 2 of the cubes with it.

And I am not sure how anything dragcube related reacts in the Editor since of lot of it is related to the FlighIntegrator and it does not run in the Editor.

Thanks Sarbian.  This code is connected with @allista's AnisotripicPartResizer which allows part resizing in 2 dimensions.  For now, these parts are only resized in the editor. Once the ship is launched, their size is fixed.  Obviously, changing the drag cubes when a part gets resized will be essential.  But from what you're saying, I'm assuming 2 things.  That DragCubes.Procedural should be set to false since the drag on these parts won't change once launched and that this code could be run once in the OnStart if the scene is flight and have the same effect?  

12 minutes ago, Fengist said:

Thanks Sarbian.  This code is connected with @allista's AnisotripicPartResizer which allows part resizing in 2 dimensions.  For now, these parts are only resized in the editor. Once the ship is launched, their size is fixed.  Obviously, changing the drag cubes when a part gets resized will be essential.  But from what you're saying, I'm assuming 2 things.  That DragCubes.Procedural should be set to false since the drag on these parts won't change once launched and that this code could be run once in the OnStart if the scene is flight and have the same effect?  

The code in AnisotropicResizable.cs#L145  does just this: recalculates drag cubes in OnStart.

Animations, however they're implemented, should use something like this: MultiGeometryAnimator.cs

1 hour ago, Fengist said:

Right, that's where it's running now in the editor and is creating the issue with the cloned part.  I'll test it in flight and see how it goes.  Thanks guys.

Oh... It seems I wasn't paying enough attention here. Reckon I also need to fix this now :blush:

Thanks)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.