[x.x.x] Space Shuttle in development

Radar

This thread is created as per the request of DECQ (see here). First things first, I'd like to thank him and those involved for releasing the Space Shuttle System. I know many Shuttles have been released over the years and many people I'm sure, including myself have resorted to making changes to make the Shuttle mod work or to bring it up to the latest version of the game.

None of the models used are mine, all credit goes to those who put this together in the first place. What I did do is make changes to the .cfg files to make it work with the latest version of KSP and to also use as little additional mods as possible for those first timers of the game. I've also been working in much the same way as the Shuttle, with combining parts to build the International Space Station. This will be released in the not to distant future and will complement this Shuttle release nicely.

As it says in the title, this works with KSP 1.4.5. The Zip is complete with the KSPWheel mod (latest version), JSI (latest version) & SSTU (which is included in the SpaceShuttle folder). These are required for various reasons. For the Cockpit to work currently, you will need the ASET mod. Plans are to replace this cockpit used with the Ultimate Shuttle IVA by G'th.

In the ZIP file you will find a folder called SpaceShuttle, it doesn't override the one from Space Shuttle System for those who prefer that version over this version. This version only comes with the Discovery skin (no option to change the skin unless you replace the DDS file) and completely stock fuels, it's in no way meant to be realistic so you can say it's been Kerbalised basically. As I said, I changed the .cfg files to make it easier to 'glide' upon re-entry using as little extra mods as possible for those who just want to keep it simple and enjoy the game. If you plan on using this Shuttle as a plane to take off from the airfield then the nose will stick up due to the extra fuel weight in the rear however I doubt this will be the case if doing a proper launch, orbit and then re-entry.

TAGS are included for all the parts in this release. Type Shuttle to show all parts.

Included in the Zip is the craft file under the save folder for those who just want to add cargo and launch. I've included 2x nodes in the cargo bay to add a winch at either end if using the KAS mod.

Enjoy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7hl6p9dc3bfbul/SpaceShuttle.zip?dl=0

Video by KottabosGames.

For those who want to use RSS. Thank you to Trickzie for these config files.

Here is a link to the download for anyone who wants to use RSS.

((There is a small imbalance in MMH+NTO usage in OMS engine - Working on a permanent fix ))

RSS 1.4.1 Version download

Do bare in mind, this patch WILL replace values such as: Fuel > Mass > Tolorance > Fueltypes > Rescaling.

So using it will resault in a bigger shuttle. It would be a good idea to resize your stations or whatever u have in mind, so it will be usable :).

For those who want to use 1.3.1 version. Thank you to Slaintmaith for his files.

Here is a link to the download for anyone who wants to use 1.3.1

The RSS-RO friendly version is here:

RSS-RO Friendly 1.3.1 Version download

For the latest version modified by Brisco to use with 1.7.x version. Thank you to Brisco for his files.

Here is a link to the download for anyone who wants to use the latest version.

Changes include modified Side Boosters.

Here is a link to the download for anyone who wants to use the latest version.

Latest version with modified Side Boosters

Edited by Radar

@Esq. Scisms I can't see why it won't currently work on 1.3 or above to be honest however I've never tried it with that version. I started doing the .cfg changes from about 1.4. Give it a shot and let us know if you don't mind as that info would be great for others here.

The plan however is to keep this as up-to-date as possible for example changing the cockpit to use the MAS mod over the JSI mod, and with say adding Canadarm etc that use the latest mods. It's certainly not something I want to be making backward compatible. I understand users prefer older versions over the later version but I'm about moving forward, not back.

The thread opener I will update and make more professional with say adding the download to SpaceDock or CurseForge, add images etc. This re-package is just a start of what's to come to be honest as the version I've posted here is one where I've pulled out the Ultimate Shuttle IVA and put back in the original from DECQ released version plus also pulled out the Canadarm. I did that deliberately to gauge the feedback and what I was doing people were happy with, and the direction it was being taken.

I want the re-package to be as simple as possible for those playing the game especially the first timers. For those who wanted to 'replicate' real life missions but at the Kerbalised level, not at a realism level.

Edited by Radar

@Esq. Scisms

I have (almost) no problems right know in 1.3.1, i testes only a little bit, because i use the shuttle in RO and did the configs for that. And because the pack is only parts it should work.

BUT:

@Radar i think its a problem that sstu plugin is in the mod, did you try your install with sstu extra/normally installed. All the SSTU parts(from sstu not the ones in your mod) become invisible. If i delete the plugin from your mod everything is alright.

Also i missing the tail fin, but maybe thats a problem on my configs....

EDIT: Note to myself: Idiot. searched for tail fin and not for vertical stabilizer.......

Edited by JohnMcLane

OK, so I tried again @JohnMcLane and it worked fine.

New install with my package and nothing else and I had no problems with KSP 1.4.5.  Loaded the Shuttle from the save in the package, launched into orbit, then back and landed.

The items that use SSTU were working fine (docking ports with the lights) and the Airlock with extendable docking port. So I'm thinking it could be something you have installed that it doesn't like / clashing with it or the fact that it doesn't like 1.3+

SSTU version used is v0.8.43.153.

Edited by Radar

6 hours ago, Radar said:

OK, so I tried again @JohnMcLane and it worked fine.

New install with my package and nothing else and I had no problems with KSP 1.4.5.  Loaded the Shuttle from the save in the package, launched into orbit, then back and landed.

The items that use SSTU were working fine (docking ports with the lights) and the Airlock with extendable docking port. So I'm thinking it could be something you have installed that it doesn't like / clashing with it or the fact that it doesn't like 1.3+

SSTU version used is v0.8.43.153.

OK, always a possibility that its a combination of other mods i have installed. Was weird because it worked fine after i deleted the pluginfolder in the spaceshuttle folder....

I only had the problem with the SSTU-parts from the sstu mod, not with the one from the SpaceShuttle (Airlock and docking port), just so that is clear.

Great mod. Thanks for bring it back to life.

Altough i do have a request, i noticed for example the Canadarm2 can only be placed on the right side of cargobay. (anything u can help with?)

Also, if possible, get the texture switcher working for the rest of the textures from the original mod :).

12 hours ago, Trickzie said:

Great mod. Thanks for bring it back to life.

Altough i do have a request, i noticed for example the Canadarm2 can only be placed on the right side of cargobay. (anything u can help with?)

Also, if possible, get the texture switcher working for the rest of the textures from the original mod :).

For a new node: open spaceshuttle\parts\shuttle\shuttlecargo.cfg and you will see the node-section. node_stack_RA is the right canadarm attachment point. create a left one:

node_stack_LA = -2.25792, 6.170912, -0.05, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1    the only difference is the ' - ' before the 2.25792, because you want the node to be on the negativ side of the x-axis.

node_stack_bottom = x, y, z, angx, angy, angz, size

First three values are x, y, z, next three the orientation/angle of which other nodes can be attached to it and of course the size of the node. Hope you learned something :D

With the texture switcher i cant help you.

4 hours ago, JohnMcLane said:

For a new node: open spaceshuttle\parts\shuttle\shuttlecargo.cfg and you will see the node-section. node_stack_RA is the right canadarm attachment point. create a left one:

node_stack_LA = -2.25792, 6.170912, -0.05, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1    the only difference is the ' - ' before the 2.25792, because you want the node to be on the negativ side of the x-axis.

node_stack_bottom = x, y, z, angx, angy, angz, size

First three values are x, y, z, next three the orientation/angle of which other nodes can be attached to it and of course the size of the node. Hope you learned something :D

With the texture switcher i cant help you.

Thanks for replying, it helped for sure :).

Too bad about the texture switching, it would have made it perfect ^^ , instead of actually replacing .dds files to correct for "actually missions".

14 hours ago, Trickzie said:

Thanks for replying, it helped for sure :).

Too bad about the texture switching, it would have made it perfect ^^ , instead of actually replacing .dds files to correct for "actually missions".

I'll add the Right hand side back in if you like, I only removed it as the Canadarm model I used was only really designed for one side of the cargobay. The Canadarm I used will be included in future updates, this package was just to see the feedback, and that what I was doing people were happy with.

5 hours ago, luc.c_24 said:

i was making this and i cant attach the nosecone on the SRB, Please help

In the search type 'Shuttle'. Anything in this shuttle package will be shown including the SRB nosecone. I say this as it could be that you are using an alternate nosecone. The nosecone provided attaches and rotates (so that the separation jets face the shuttle).

On 9/27/2018 at 5:10 AM, vlad0303 said:

Kottabks did a space shuttle system video and he mentioned you. Thank you for saving this mod :)

Got a link ? Found the link, I'll add it to the OP.

Edited by Radar

4 hours ago, Radar said:

I'll add the Right hand side back in if you like, I only removed it as the Canadarm model I used was only really designed for one side of the cargobay. The Canadarm I used will be included in future updates, this package was just to see the feedback, and that what I was doing people were happy with.

Something really interesting for the canadarm, its early dev, but the videos are amazing :

17 hours ago, COL.R.Neville said:

this is the old component space shuttle right? 

what happened to the launch tower or was that from the engeria/buran mod that used to be around back in the day. 

U mean the Mike_NZ crawler?

Edited by Trickzie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.