[x.x.x] Space Shuttle in development

Radar

5 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

Indeedily.  And coming in from 400km.  

I'd probably say, try and find your best spot to make your reentry burn, maybe if you put your periapses behind KSC (on the other side of the planet)

Make your burn 1/4 after periapses, so you can burn until your some 30 miles ahead of KSC, cause you will lose alot more speed on reentry rather than space.

That should make you somewhat closer to adjust in air to land

Also, try and save like alittle momopropellant for RCS, it could help you with the holding it in place for reentry

Edited by Trickzie

4 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

This is gorgeous.  I'm also using the CA Shuttle--but I'm buggered if I can figure out how to make this not "Jump" in 1.3.1 and clunk into the ground when physics "eases" in.

Do you have KJR installed?  I have it in all my KSP installs, and I think Farram said starting with KSP 1.1 (or 1.2?) that KJR would be using the new stock physics ease-in feature, I wonder if KJR does something in addition to that.  I've had the whole shuttle and platform assembly be dropped onto the stock pad static, but it has never caused a problem, though I usually move the platform's legs under the VAB's floor first.

1 hour ago, Briso said:

Hi, I think I found a mistake. Rocket boosters of the space Shuttle don't have a gimbal. They have no pitch, roll and yaw control. Is it ?

Side Rocket Boosters do have Gimbal

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGimbal
		gimbalTransformName = gimbal
		gimbalRange = 8
		gimbalResponseSpeed = 8
		useGimbalResponseSpeed = true
	}

And Shuttle's Main Engine also has Gimbal

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGimbal
		gimbalTransformName = gimbal
		gimbalRange = 10.5
		gimbalResponseSpeed = 8
		useGimbalResponseSpeed = true
	}

This shuttle is Kerbalised for enjoyment, not for realism. So things like Gimbal's will not move massive amounts to 'steer' the shuttle, and yes this has massive amounts of fuel but that was again for people to enjoy the Shuttle for what it looks like and to be able to launch to say 500km's and be able to return home to KSC.

Trickzie will be adding a link to his RO cfg's which I am more than happy to add to the OP, so if you wish for this to be more real then please await those files.

15 hours ago, luc.c_24 said:

The nosecone still doesn't work, am i the only one having this problem?

Not sure why yourself and one other are having issues with Nosecone. By not work what do you mean, not show up or doesn't function ?

As you can see in the video of the original post, it's working fine for user KottabosGames. The only problem I found in his video was the extendable docking port not working for him, and the cockpit not displaying parts which would be as a result of not having the ASET & JSI mod installed.

6 hours ago, Radar said:

Trickzie will be adding a link to his RO cfg's which I am more than happy to add to the OP, so if you wish for this to be more real then please await those files.

I assume, u want real sizes aswell for the RSS(RO) patched files?, so it would be similar to the real RO.

Cause ill be looking into the files today and fixing fuel/thrust/weight etc.

So i've done the config files now, and can say it works very well for RSS.

Im not sure, if in IRL there would be a small amount of fuel left, but there is a tiny bit left in the config, for making sure u will be able to do a 200/200km  orbit around Earth.

nVYmHJAundefined.png
5lFBIEtundefined.png
6wuOidfundefined.png
bbxArugundefined.png
FgBZdRWundefined.png
M5myQkwundefined.png
mHaqglRundefined.png
hU1aQ3uundefined.png

Edited by Trickzie

Here is a link to the download for anyone who wants to use RSS.

((There is a small imbalance in MMH+NTO usage in OMS engine - Working on a permanent fix ))

Updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3y4omxd4bxibni/SpaceShuttle v2.rar?dl=0

Do bare in mind, this patch WILL replace values such as: Fuel > Mass > Tolorance > Fueltypes > Rescaling.

So using it will resault in a bigger shuttle. It would be a good idea to resize your stations or whatever u have in mind, so it will be usable :).

Edited by Trickzie

1 hour ago, Trickzie said:

Here is a link to the download for anyone who wants to use RSS.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulu9q08vejk2ivf/SpaceShuttle.rar?dl=0

Do bare in mind, this patch WILL replace values such as: Fuel > Mass > Tolorance > Fueltypes > Rescaling.

So using it will resault in a bigger shuttle. It would be a good idea to resize your stations or whatever u have in mind, so it will be usable :).

Nice work!

You used the Real Fuels with the exception of the rcs fuel? why leave monopropellant in there, they also used MMH and NTO for RCS, or did you not go for RealismOverhaul style configs? Because RSS and RO go often together, you will then also have possibly an LifeSupport mod installed. So some integrated snacks would be useful. Just some things to think about if you want to continue working on your configs.

I posted ROConfigs on the page2, they are converted from the old release thread, if you want to take a look at the work of .........try to find the author..........Edit: radio posted them in the other thread

Edited by JohnMcLane

3 minutes ago, JohnMcLane said:

You used the Real Fuels with the exception of the rcs fuel? why leave monopropellant in there, they also used MMH and NTO for RCS

Well yes i do know the "Tanks" for OMS engines have MMH+NTO in there. However when i did the edit of them, the RCS stopped working alltogether.

Instead i put in the MMH+NTO in the Engine mount. (Originally they dont house anything)

For the RO config files, i do have them all, both engines, fuel, lifting surfaces (from 1.2.2 RO)

2 hours ago, Trickzie said:

Вот ссылка на скачивание для тех, кто хочет использовать RSS .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulu9q08vejk2ivf/SpaceShuttle.rar?dl=0

Не забывайте, что этот патч заменит такие значения, как: Fuel> Mass> Tolorance> Fueltypes> Rescaling.

Таким образом, использование этого будет заменено на более крупном шаттле. Было бы неплохо изменить размеры ваших станций или что бы вы ни имели в виду, поэтому он будет полезен :).

These are the best configs I've seen. Thank you. What version of infernal robotics are you using ?

7 minutes ago, Briso said:

These are the best configs I've seen. Thank you. What version of infernal robotics are you using ? 

Thank you very much, i just however did a new upload of the config files, cause of an small update to the shuttle

Im still using 1.3.1 i believe it is, mainly cause i have mods such as: ISS-community, Canadarm which uses the older version of IR.

Edited by Trickzie

2 hours ago, JohnMcLane said:

Because RSS and RO go often together, you will then also have possibly an LifeSupport mod installed. So some integrated snacks would be useful. Just some things to think about if you want to continue working on your configs.

Yes that is something i have thought of. I will have a future update which implement the many lifesupport mods (including snacks, oxygen, food etc) 

9 hours ago, Trickzie said:

Im still using 1.3.1 i believe it is, mainly cause i have mods such as: ISS-community, Canadarm which uses the older version of IR.

I agree. I'm creating ISS on version 1.4.5 too, but the problem is that IR doesn't work on this version, so I'll have to wait for an update.

6 hours ago, Briso said:

I agree. I'm creating ISS on version 1.4.5 too, but the problem is that IR doesn't work on this version, so I'll have to wait for an update.

I'm using an older version of IR, try this one.

v2.0.14 (Compatible KSP Version 1.3.1)

https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/InfernalRobotics/releases

On 10/8/2018 at 8:01 PM, Briso said:

Thank you then such question. My tank of a Shuttle all the time outweighs. What am I to do? (load is present)

Just curious, when you save the craft, can you re-load it and try again.. I had a small bug that wouldn't move that much either, but after reloading the craft it would work..

Also, do you have cargo onboard ?

I may need to revisit the weight and fuel. Peoples feedback has been great and making small changes thanks to you guys :)

6 hours ago, Briso said:

Yea exactly. I had the same issue.

My version is 1.3.1, along with KerbalJointReinforcement 3.3.3.4 unofficial version

3 hours ago, Radar said:

I'm using an older version of IR, try this one.

v2.0.14 (Compatible KSP Version 1.3.1)

https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/InfernalRobotics/releases

Just curious, when you save the craft, can you re-load it and try again.. I had a small bug that wouldn't move that much either, but after reloading the craft it would work..

Also, do you have cargo onboard ?

I may need to revisit the weight and fuel. Peoples feedback has been great and making small changes thanks to you guys :)

I will try, the cargo is present )

4 hours ago, Radar said:

Happy to help )

17 minutes ago, Trickzie said:

Im curious to know, if u've tried the Rss config files? If so, how does it fly for you.

I have to say this perfectly as always, but tomorrow I will start a series of hard tests (I want to test whether the Shuttle will be able to output the maximum load without deviation from the trajectory). And Yes finally I got pleasure from landing because with the old configs (1.2.2) it was impossible !

And of course I want to thank you (super cool configs, which gave the opportunity to work with RSS) and Radar for the continuation of the mod and for the opportunity to land the Shuttle. Yes, and the radar configurations are also great because they bring me joy when I go to the KSC strip and plant this bird. Thank you for being there ) Now I'm just waiting for the new Canadarm2 and also new updates of this mod and configs !

Edited by Briso

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.