[x.x.x] Space Shuttle in development

Radar

Is that with an empty shuttle or with cargo? either way it shouldn't matter and I'm more than happy to adjust what ever is required to make it fun for all. Just want to make sure that what you have is the same as mine (cargo wise etc) so I can ensure I'm heading in the right direction.

EDIT. I just had a thought while looking after the little one. A few have mentioned lack of (or any) movement in the Side Rockets gimbal. I suspect this will fix the issues you guys have reported, looking for a second opinion..

Edited by Radar

@Radar  yeah with both. Empty carg oadn with some OKS station thing inside cargo.   It is doing on both occasions.

Btw I wanted to ask if somebody knows.   The orbiter elevons/ailerons  they were separate or were function as one ? Like roll was done by the outter elevons and pitch was done by both inner and outer elevons or ?  

Orbiter+Structures.jpg

Somehow I can not get the info how those were working. If inner and outer elevon was function together as one bit elevon or they were separate for some functions like roll ?

The inboard and outboard elevons are able to function independent of eachother. However, for what purpose I don't know. I would assume the outboard surfaces are for rolling and the inboard surfaces could be used as flaps.89675.jpg

Here we can see that the portside outboard elevon is positioned out of sync with its inboard counterpart.

EDIT: After doing some more research, it appears that separate surfaces are used for yaw control during reentry. It doesn't appear that the separate surfaces play much of a part during post-entry flight.

Edited by LMRaptor

On 12/1/2018 at 9:24 AM, Radar said:

Is that with an empty shuttle or with cargo? either way it shouldn't matter and I'm more than happy to adjust what ever is required to make it fun for all. Just want to make sure that what you have is the same as mine (cargo wise etc) so I can ensure I'm heading in the right direction.

EDIT. I just had a thought while looking after the little one. A few have mentioned lack of (or any) movement in the Side Rockets gimbal. I suspect this will fix the issues you guys have reported, looking for a second opinion..

I'm sure you'll deal with this problem, but I have a request. I tried to get the pallet and spacelab back, but it didn't work out (the details didn't appear in the game). Can you tell me how to get them back ?

9 hours ago, Briso said:

I'm sure you'll deal with this problem, but I have a request. I tried to get the pallet and spacelab back, but it didn't work out (the details didn't appear in the game). Can you tell me how to get them back ?

Use the old SSS payload items.

Hi guys.

So after of 5 days of playing with configuraiton for all shuttle parts I managed to have quite nice re-entry without any flipping or  "lets try spinning that is a good trick"  issues.

I added some weight to cabine and Airlock and moved all monoprop from back  parts ( engine mount, OMS pods) to cabine.  Now the issue is that the front is a bit heavy :D And during re-entry it was hard to manage 40 degree pitch bcs nose was heavy so the front had tendency to move down :D Still playing with it to find the right spot so it will not flip ( due to heavy back ) or nose going down ( due to heavy front).

Btw for those elevons, I was asking bcs as I saw the MK3 shuttle from Cormorant Aerotechnology has the elevons separate. And outer elevons work as roll and pitch and inner elevons as pitch only.  So I was thinking if we can maybe split the elevons too on the Space  Shuttle, so it will be the same and maybe improve stability even more during ascent and re-entry.

Edited by Jovzin

Hi,

Thank you for bringing this back to life :D

I second the oppinion, that the elevons should be split (if possible)

Also one note, the OMS Engines lack a "Techrequired" Entry for career:

TechRequired = advLanding

Otherwise, great Job :D

14 hours ago, Jasseji said:

Hi,

Thank you for bringing this back to life :D

I second the oppinion, that the elevons should be split (if possible)

Also one note, the OMS Engines lack a "Techrequired" Entry for career:

TechRequired = advLanding

Otherwise, great Job :D

Already updated for the next update. Thanks for highlighting it though, it reminded me to check again.

On 12/4/2018 at 5:32 AM, Jovzin said:

Hi guys.

So after of 5 days of playing with configuraiton for all shuttle parts I managed to have quite nice re-entry without any flipping or  "lets try spinning that is a good trick"  issues.

I added some weight to cabine and Airlock and moved all monoprop from back  parts ( engine mount, OMS pods) to cabine.  Now the issue is that the front is a bit heavy :D And during re-entry it was hard to manage 40 degree pitch bcs nose was heavy so the front had tendency to move down :D Still playing with it to find the right spot so it will not flip ( due to heavy back ) or nose going down ( due to heavy front).

Btw for those elevons, I was asking bcs as I saw the MK3 shuttle from Cormorant Aerotechnology has the elevons separate. And outer elevons work as roll and pitch and inner elevons as pitch only.  So I was thinking if we can maybe split the elevons too on the Space  Shuttle, so it will be the same and maybe improve stability even more during ascent and re-entry.

Interesting find because when I played with CoG etc, and looked at the weight, I found the opposite. With about half the fuel (because some were used in maneuvers to the space station) I found it didn't flip, nor did it have any weight issues. Mind you though, this was done on v1.4.5 and when they fixed 1.5 with 1.5.1 I assumed nothing else would be affected by it.

More gimbal on the SRB's should help with launch and maneuver, the re-entry I'll test again and take on board what you find. The idea of split elevons I like. I'll look into those also.

Hmm so I tried CA MK3 shuttle and it has same issues as this Shuttle. During ascent the shuttle wants to do roll to right or left whatever pick your side.  And when I separate boosters it is even more noticable that shuttle wants to roll to left I think so the ET will be at the bottom and the shuttle on top.  I have to do corrections like mad during whole ascent profile on both shuttles ( CA MK3 and this one )

So I think maybe @Squad screwed some aero settings a bit ?   Bcs how it is possible that 2 different shuttles from different creators have the exact same problems during ascent.   And CA MK3 shuttle has even gimbal in boosters.  

Edited by Jovzin

So I ended up having to reset my computer to factor standard and have now had to reinstall KSP.  I re-downloaded KSP 1.4.5 and then downloaded the Space Shuttle zip file from Dropbox included in the very first post of this thread.  However, something weird is now happening.  The Space Shuttle zip file downloads correctly, but there are no parts whatsoever when I open Kerbal Space.  I've typed in "shuttle" and "space shuttle" to the parts finder window thinking that maybe they just weren't showing up visually, but there's absolutely no parts to build the Shuttle.  I tried installing KSP 1.5.1 just to see if perhaps the files had been updated, but this also resulted in the same issue.

I am also now getting the following error message regarding the Shuttle whenever I start KSP, either in its 1.4.5 or 1.5.1 variants.  "ERROR: RasterPropMonitor.dll must be in GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins but it's in GameData/SpaceShuttle".  The curious thing here is that there is no GameData/JSI master folder.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling KSP thinking it was a download issue, but the warning still appears.

6 hours ago, ChrisG_NSF said:

So I ended up having to reset my computer to factor standard and have now had to reinstall KSP.  I re-downloaded KSP 1.4.5 and then downloaded the Space Shuttle zip file from Dropbox included in the very first post of this thread.  However, something weird is now happening.  The Space Shuttle zip file downloads correctly, but there are no parts whatsoever when I open Kerbal Space.  I've typed in "shuttle" and "space shuttle" to the parts finder window thinking that maybe they just weren't showing up visually, but there's absolutely no parts to build the Shuttle.  I tried installing KSP 1.5.1 just to see if perhaps the files had been updated, but this also resulted in the same issue.

I am also now getting the following error message regarding the Shuttle whenever I start KSP, either in its 1.4.5 or 1.5.1 variants.  "ERROR: RasterPropMonitor.dll must be in GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins but it's in GameData/SpaceShuttle".  The curious thing here is that there is no GameData/JSI master folder.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling KSP thinking it was a download issue, but the warning still appears.

@ChrisG_NSF It sounds to me like it's not in the right location especially when you have this as an error... ERROR: RasterPropMonitor.dll must be in GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins.

Under your game install, you will find a folder called GameData. This folder on a fresh install will have a folder called Squad and with this mod installed it will have folders called JSI, another called KSPWheel and another called SpaceShuttle.

If you are not seeing those 4 folders on a fresh install then it's installed incorrectly. To me it seems like you have the GameData folder under the GameData.

So;

GameData > Squad

GameData > GameData > JSI

GameData > GameData > KSPWheel 

GameData > GameData > SpaceShuttle 

Make sure JSI, KSPWheel and SpaceShuttle fall under the primary GameData.

Edited by Radar

I concur with Jovzin, the vehicle is extremely difficult to control on ascent. The SRB's need gimbal control. I also feel that the shuttle is too "light". It accelerates extremely quick, far faster and more uncontrollably than previous versions of the mod. That's just me though. I'll try playing with thrust values and see what I can do.

Edited by LMRaptor

10 hours ago, Radar said:

@ChrisG_NSF It sounds to me like it's not in the right location especially when you have this as an error... ERROR: RasterPropMonitor.dll must be in GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins.

Under your game install, you will find a folder called GameData. This folder on a fresh install will have a folder called Squad and with this mod installed it will have folders called JSI, another called KSPWheel and another called SpaceShuttle.

If you are not seeing those 4 folders on a fresh install then it's installed incorrectly. To me it seems like you have the GameData folder under the GameData.

So;

GameData > Squad

GameData > GameData > JSI

GameData > GameData > KSPWheel 

GameData > GameData > SpaceShuttle 

Make sure JSI, KSPWheel and SpaceShuttle fall under the primary GameData.

Hi, radar. 

For KSP game itself, there's the master GameData folder, inside of which are Squad and GameData folders.

The Space Shuttle download from the Dropbox link in post #1 is threaded as:

SpaceShuttle
           GameData
                 JSI
                 KSPWheeel
                 SpaceShuttle
SpaceShuttle
           saves

I've just tried a fresh download and install of the Space Shuttle files from Dropbox.  I removed the JSI, KSPWheel, and SpaceShuttle subfolders and placed them in GameData > GameData.  There are still no parts for the Space Shuttle that appear in the game.

I tried placing the entire Space Shuttle download, the master SpaceShuttle folder, in GameData > GameData.  There are still not parts that appear.  I also tried extracting the SpaceShuttle > GameData subfolder and placing that entire subfolder into KSP GameData > GameData.  The same issue.

Each time, regardless of where the files are placed, the same "ERROR: RasterPropMonitor.dll must be in GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins but it's in GameData/" message appears upon starting the game.

Cheers,
Chris G.

Edited by ChrisG_NSF
The original reply posted to site without me hitting "post" and was thus incomplete.

On 12/10/2018 at 3:10 PM, ChrisG_NSF said:

Hi, radar. 

For KSP game itself, there's the master GameData folder, inside of which are Squad and GameData folders.

The Space Shuttle download from the Dropbox link in post #1 is threaded as:

SpaceShuttle
           GameData
                 JSI
                 KSPWheeel
                 SpaceShuttle
SpaceShuttle
           saves

I've just tried a fresh download and install of the Space Shuttle files from Dropbox.  I removed the JSI, KSPWheel, and SpaceShuttle subfolders and placed them in GameData > GameData.  There are still no parts for the Space Shuttle that appear in the game.

I tried placing the entire Space Shuttle download, the master SpaceShuttle folder, in GameData > GameData.  There are still not parts that appear.  I also tried extracting the SpaceShuttle > GameData subfolder and placing that entire subfolder into KSP GameData > GameData.  The same issue.

Each time, regardless of where the files are placed, the same "ERROR: RasterPropMonitor.dll must be in GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins but it's in GameData/" message appears upon starting the game.

Cheers,
Chris G.

The files for the shuttle must be like this:

Gamedata > Squad

Gamedata > JSI

Gamedata > SpaceShuttle

Gamedata > KSPWheel

and the saves folder, placed in primary saved folder > then either carrer mode, or which ever your playing > VAB

Edited by Trickzie

9 hours ago, Trickzie said:

The files for the shuttle must be like this:

Gamedata > Squad

Gamedata > JSI

Gamedata > SpaceShuttle

Gamedata > KSPWheel

and the saves folder, placed in primary saved folder > then either carrer mode, or which ever your playing > VAB

Yup.  I've placed them there, too.  Same thing.  Same error message.  Parts don't appear in game.

And I should say that all other mods downloaded and installed work.  So this isn't a consistent issue with all mods.  It's just this one. 

3 hours ago, ChrisG_NSF said:

Yup.  I've placed them there, too.  Same thing.  Same error message.  Parts don't appear in game.

And I should say that all other mods downloaded and installed work.  So this isn't a consistent issue with all mods.  It's just this one. 

Can you take a screenshot and post it up? doesn't make sense that what you have tried is causing you issues. What Trickzie and I have suggested is the correct location (as you have indicated in this post you also tried) but still having the issues suggests something is not quite in it's right location..

Maybe try installing the JSI mod from this location and see if that works..

On 12/10/2018 at 4:25 PM, LMRaptor said:

I concur with Jovzin, the vehicle is extremely difficult to control on ascent. The SRB's need gimbal control. I also feel that the shuttle is too "light". It accelerates extremely quick, far faster and more uncontrollably than previous versions of the mod. That's just me though. I'll try playing with thrust values and see what I can do.

The SRB's will have improved Gimbal in future release (now waiting on v1.6 in case something else breaks).

As for the shuttle being light or accelerates to quickly, the mod was put together using as much stock as possible (fuel for example). It was compiled to lift into orbit various Space Station parts where I found that some parts the Shuttle was harder to control and or wouldn't enter orbit. So it was either make the Space Station parts zero in weight, or reduce the Shuttle weight.

This package is not intended for realism, RO is available for this and for those who seek something more simulated. It's compiled to offer those with the base game a Kerbalised version of the Shuttle and Space Station (to come) so they could have fun 'replicating' real life missions. 

With the new shaders introduced in 1.5 and 1.6 I'm hoping to fix a couple issues I've found with the Space Station parts, but to also remove the need to use the texture replacer mod that uses reflections for various parts. With the fixes and suggestions to the Shuttle mod the Space Station parts shouldn't be too far away I hope and hopefully those who find it difficult with balance will not find this a problem with the station parts.

Edited by Radar

On 12/12/2018 at 9:19 PM, Radar said:

Can you take a screenshot and post it up? doesn't make sense that what you have tried is causing you issues. What Trickzie and I have suggested is the correct location (as you have indicated in this post you also tried) but still having the issues suggests something is not quite in it's right location..

Maybe try installing the JSI mod from this location and see if that works..

Hey, Radar -

Attached is a link to the screenshot of where the files are placed in the game.  I've even tried reinstalling a clean version of KSP 1.4.5 and a clean version of Space Shuttle from the first post in this thread.  The same issues persist.  I've downloaded the new JSI as you suggested, too.  Same issues.  Same "ERROR" message.

https://imgur.com/Ubt4gAF

14 hours ago, ChrisG_NSF said:

Hey, Radar -

Attached is a link to the screenshot of where the files are placed in the game.  I've even tried reinstalling a clean version of KSP 1.4.5 and a clean version of Space Shuttle from the first post in this thread.  The same issues persist.  I've downloaded the new JSI as you suggested, too.  Same issues.  Same "ERROR" message.

https://imgur.com/Ubt4gAF

@ChrisG_NSF Thanks for the image, now I can clearly see why you are having this issue.

All Mods must be installed under GameData folder, NOT under the GameData > Squad folder which is where yours is..

Move the folders JSI, KSPWheel and SpaceShuttle to the same location as where your Squad folder is and delete that other GameData folder that's under Squad..
Below is the edited image I've done to make it easier to understand.

p.jpeg?size=1600x1200&size_mode=3

Edited by Radar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.