[x.x.x] Space Shuttle in development

Radar

might want to check the tech required and categories. 

take the oms engine. 

pretty sure the categories are either engines or propulsion. i think propulsion is the older one but still works. 

and the tech required is set to largecontrol which i think now is specialized control?

anyway making it not show up and keeps the craft file from properly loading. 

i think its set to category = engine when i changed it over to propulsion it will show up in a sandbox game since no tech checks. 

but the tech required being mislableled keeps it from loading in a career since large control doesnt exist anymore.  

14 hours ago, Mukita12 said:

HOLY KRAKENNAUTS IT'S UPDATED!!

Also radar why not use Github? it's easier 

@Mukita12 for the new model being created we will, this version sadly is just being 'band-aided' to work with later versions of the game. New version will use the latest in the game shaders, robotics etc.

40 minutes ago, COL.R.Neville said:

might want to check the tech required and categories. 

take the oms engine. 

pretty sure the categories are either engines or propulsion. i think propulsion is the older one but still works. 

and the tech required is set to largecontrol which i think now is specialized control?

anyway making it not show up and keeps the craft file from properly loading. 

i think its set to category = engine when i changed it over to propulsion it will show up in a sandbox game since no tech checks. 

but the tech required being mislableled keeps it from loading in a career since large control doesnt exist anymore.  

I thought I'd fixed that, may have done so in my version but because I've been away it never got pushed to Briscos's version. I'll have him update his version and update the link once done.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @LMRaptor, the new arm that I'm doing in 3Ds Max will be similar to the below with all the same movements as the real one. I can confirm that the End Effector (with the light and camera) are on the Roll axis. My model from 3Ds Max into Unity is working to plan, just doing some small model changes and texture updates to make it look better before posting images of it.

I don't want to Kerbalise the scratch build to much, by that I mean I'd like it to have the same movements as that of the real one.. Do you think this will suffice or do you feel we will need a Kerbal version and a 'real' version that can be easy transferable to RO. (I'm hoping to make one model that fits both, where RO would require very little change). 

canadarm_parts.jpg

Wondering if anyone else using this mod (the RSS/RO config files) has the issue of the Shuttle overheating on reentry and burning up in the atmosphere.  No matter the pitch or roll orientation I try, the Orbiter just overheats every time for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 9:24 AM, Insanity_BK said:

Why is my shuttle appearing like this?

Picture

@Radar

@Insanity_BK No idea to be honest on why you would only see the rockets and nothing else. 

At the moment I'm more focused on building the new one than "band-aiding" the current old mod that's been changed over time and to work with a later versions of KSP. The changes I made were working fine with 1.4. There was a period where I took some personal leave and on returning to the game it had updated to 1.6 and 1.7 so I can't say I've tested it under the newer versions.

The decision to start over was because many people here wanted the texture switcher and reflections to work, something I just couldn't get working in the end without going down the path I am now with building a new one, plus some comments seen in another Shuttle mod thread on the slight model change on the tail for the Columbia Shuttle, all things I want to put into the model (plus the native game robotics etc)..

Bare with me while I'm building the new one. It doesn't help your current problem I know but as I said I'm concentrating on the new build rather than fix an old one made by others.

Edited by Radar

Thanks @hellblazer but I don't want to be using any mods for this new build where I can avoid it. This mod I can totally avoid by using the native games robotics. Yes it will mean people will require Breaking Ground for the robotics to work, but I think most people will end up getting the DLC at some point, especially if it goes on sale. I've finished the Shuttle arm (Canadarm) already, currently working on the robotics for each part, then I can release it for those who want to test it.

I don't think the native game uses cameras (if it does, could people let me know), so the only mod this Canadarm will require will be the MAS mod for the cameras to work. Cameras currently configured for Colour, Black & White, and Night-vision.

4 hours ago, Insanity_BK said:

Well thats not really promising... I will try to fix it. When was the craft file made? If its old it might not work because of the new updates... but I am not sure. 

Craft file was from 1.4.

Fixing the old mod may not be promising, but I'd rather spend my time building a new one which will fix all the different issues that people experience.

• 2 weeks later...

screenshot220.png

Anyone have any ideas why the crew compartment, fuselage, engine mounts, wings, etc like to disappear? All the PAW stuff is there for each part so the game thinks they're all there, but they just go invisible during flight. Some cursory searching through this thread indicates others have had the issue, just wondering if there's a known fix for it or not.

16 hours ago, sjsharks39 said:

Anyone have any ideas why the crew compartment, fuselage, engine mounts, wings, etc like to disappear? All the PAW stuff is there for each part so the game thinks they're all there, but they just go invisible during flight. Some cursory searching through this thread indicates others have had the issue, just wondering if there's a known fix for it or not.

I had to delete the mod "Textur Replacer"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just letting you all know that support for this version of the mod will be very very limited. I know Brisco added Texture Replacer and RealPlumes to the package which may be causing issues for some users, we apologise for this and removing those add-ons seems to resolve it for some players.

Since KSP 2's announcement, the focus has shifted significantly, so rather than rebuild the mod for KSP 1, it will be rebuilt for KSP 2 only.

The Shuttle rebuild is already underway for KSP 2 along with 4k textures for PBR along with alternate Shuttle's ie Atlanta, Challenger etc in readiness for when more details are released.

Everything is being added into the models now with Animation, Lights, Cameras, Moving parts etc to speed up the release time (easier to cull items not going into KSP 2 then to add it later). The mod pack will not just be the Shuttle, but various other parts (hint hint think Int Space Station and other NASA missions). I do have someone else assisting, so the plan is to complete as much as possible between now and the KSP 2 release so players won't have to wait long for it's release (that's the plan).

A WIP thread will be created in due course with various images posted of the models and parts, so keep your eyes open for the thread titled NASA Missions Pack v2.0 (2.x being for KSP 2).

Sorry if players here will be disappointed in not continuing with this for KSP 1. There is another Shuttle mod out (although it requires various other mods to be complete) that can fulfill the Shuttle experience but in all honesty as I was recreating the models from scratch anyway the timing of KSP 2 couldn't have been more perfect.

If people would like to assist (especially in texturing) then I'm all ears as I want this mod package to be a must have.

Your work has been phenomenal, Radar. I can't say I'm versed at all in the technical aspects of modding, but if you need someone to find technical data and other stuff like that for the shuttle, its payloads, and ISS components, I'm more than willing to help see that through.

21 hours ago, LMRaptor said:

Your work has been phenomenal, Radar. I can't say I'm versed at all in the technical aspects of modding, but if you need someone to find technical data and other stuff like that for the shuttle, its payloads, and ISS components, I'm more than willing to help see that through.

I have plenty of images and tech, however what I have may be somewhat less than what you have so by all means, I'd be more than happy for you to pass on any details you have. Best to make it as accurate as possible that is for sure.

Given I'm rebuilding from scratch I can make sure details wise it has everything without it being a massive frames hit, technical wise I'm working with what KSP 2 will have (using KSP 1 as a base at the moment until more details come out). So if a part does something that's not currently possible in KSP 1, then keep that in mind when requesting some technical changes / additions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

ciao, sto iniziando a usare ksp con mod RSS / RO e ho installato questa mod. Il problema è che al rientro nell'atmosfera la navetta verso i 35km di altezza esplode. Io credo che sia dovuto all'eccessiva forza g ma non sono sicuro, spero possiate darmi una risposta. Tuttavia oltre a questo problema rimane una bellissima mod

hi, i am starting to use ksp with RSS / RO mod and i installed this mod. The problem is that upon returning to the atmosphere the shuttle towards 35km in height explodes. I believe it is due to the excessive g force but I'm not sure, I hope you can give me an answer. However in addition to this problem it remains a beautiful mod

Edited by Val
Google translated

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.