[x.x.x] Space Shuttle in development

Radar

Hey everyone, @Radar has given me permission to take on the mod. I've been picking away at a few issues for the last couple days, and currently I've gotten it to work pretty well in RO in 1.8.1. My ultimate goal is to bring back all the original parts from the original Space Shuttle System mod, as well as properly balance everything both in RO and stock. 

Here's a few pics from testing in RSS/RO, as you can see I've managed to get the original boosters working. The vertical stabilizer needs fixed, as well as the wing texture switch, but otherwise it seems to be working pretty good now.

PHzSe4S.pngkdoGTAh.png9hrKeLk.png

Looks good. @DylanSemrau

I couldn't get the texture switcher to work natively, only through mods which I wanted to avoid in my build. And the reason I switch the boosters was because they didn't work (textures were flickering) but that could have been a version bug rather than the mod).

As DylanSemrau has said, he will update this mod to work with v1 of KSP as I'm working on a scratch build for v2 of KSP.

36 minutes ago, Radar said:

And the reason I switch the boosters was because they didn't work (textures were flickering) but that could have been a version bug rather than the mod).

This was most likely a result of a normal map not being applied to the mesh, which would have worked when it was first made, but doesn't now.

Anyways, everything seems to be working well now, and I've gone ahead an added all of the original texture switches, and well as payloads (and maybe a nice lil enterprise texture because I can). I'll get this ready some time tomorrow hopefully.

ZjuMhKR.pngEKma9HC.png4YWm4fk.pngYTf7evx.png

9 hours ago, DylanSemrau said:

Anyways, everything seems to be working well now

Does this mean one can launch, get to a realistic orbit, rendezvous with <thing>, deorbit, reenter, and land back at KSC?
Are there procedures for this?  =)
I know most Shuttles for Kerbal tend to be very touchy regarding CG and bleeding off speed during reentry, and by touchy, I mean, enter-an-uncontrollable-spin-until-50-feet-before-going-splat!-because-there-wasn't-enough-time-to-regain-control touchy.

Edited by slaintemaith

59 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

Does this mean one can launch, get to a realistic orbit, rendezvous with <thing>, deorbit, reenter, and land back at KSC?
Are there procedures for this?  =)
I know most Shuttles for Kerbal tend to be very touchy regarding CG and bleeding off speed during reentry, and by touchy, I mean, enter-an-uncontrollable-spin-until-50-feet-before-going-splat!-because-there-wasn't-enough-time-to-regain-control touchy.

It’s possible, although it can be a bit touchy at a certain point. This may be simply because it has too much fuel, an imbalance with the payloads, or that the shuttle itself is unbalanced and needs work. However, I did get a few flights where it was perfect and I managed to land pretty close to my target.

On 5/4/2020 at 6:47 AM, DylanSemrau said:

This was most likely a result of a normal map not being applied to the mesh, which would have worked when it was first made, but doesn't now.

Anyways, everything seems to be working well now, and I've gone ahead an added all of the original texture switches, and well as payloads (and maybe a nice lil enterprise texture because I can). I'll get this ready some time tomorrow hopefully.

ZjuMhKR.pngEKma9HC.png4YWm4fk.pngYTf7evx.png

OMG yes !!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, DylanSemrau said:

Hi sorry, I've been having a lot of school work so work on... literally everything is slow. Can't promise when I'll be able to finish up, but it's close so shouldn't be too too long.

No Problem! Take your time!:)

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, OV-102 said:

Any updates on this?

Yup! I'm gonna pack it up in a short bit and hopefully have it out to you guys soon :)

Sorry for the delays, school's been getting in the way for a while

EDIT: just a couple thing:

-This will probably be unbalanced without RO/RSS at first, I'll be figuring that out

-My version is meant to be a complete resurrection of the original Space Shuttle System mod, so when downloading you'll need to get rid of the folders for this mod

-Although it's fairly good right now, the shuttle may not be 100% correct in RO (I haven't done enough testing to be sure), I'll also be trying to tweak this in the future

Edited by DylanSemrau

On 5/22/2020 at 11:00 AM, DylanSemrau said:

Yup! I'm gonna pack it up in a short bit and hopefully have it out to you guys soon :)

-This will probably be unbalanced without RO/RSS at first, I'll be figuring that out

-My version is meant to be a complete resurrection of the original Space Shuttle System mod, so when downloading you'll need to get rid of the folders for this mod

-Although it's fairly good right now, the shuttle may not be 100% correct in RO (I haven't done enough testing to be sure), I'll also be trying to tweak this in the future

Be careful with this. Now this branch is owned by Radar and the mod as a whole. In addition, I also plan to release some updates regarding RO soon.

Edited by Briso

On 5/22/2020 at 11:00 AM, DylanSemrau said:

And Yes, if you are ahead of me, which is possible by 90 % (if of course everything is ready). Please note the comment in these videos. With respect ! 

Edited by Briso

@DylanSemrau has my full support as do you @Briso I see this as a community mod, not solely mine as it wasn't built by me, just modified to work with version 1.6 of the game back then.

I'm glad to see people pick it up, especially you guys, it can be a lot of work for one person especially if they have a different direction to others. I'm glad to see DylanSemau bring back the side boosters as I had texture issues with this when I took it on. Good to see it come back in it's glory and as mentioned above, I didn't include different skins as I wanted to use as much of the native game as possible, not rely on extra mods.

I'm building from scratch the shuttle complete with the differences in the tale for KSP 2 plus a few other NASA inspired missions. I'm hesitant to get too ahead of myself as no modding details have been released about KSP 2. For instance how detailed can the models be before it starts to bog down, or how will PBR textures be used.

Once you guys have links to your mods, let me know and I'll update the main thread with your links.

Edited by Radar

4 hours ago, Radar said:

@DylanSemrau has my full support as do you @Briso I see this as a community mod, not solely mine as it wasn't built by me, just modified to work with version 1.6 of the game back then.

I'm glad to see people pick it up, especially you guys, it can be a lot of work for one person especially if they have a different direction to others. I'm glad to see DylanSemau bring back the side boosters as I had texture issues with this when I took it on. Good to see it come back in it's glory and as mentioned above, I didn't include different skins as I wanted to use as much of the native game as possible, not rely on extra mods.

I'm building from scratch the shuttle complete with the differences in the tale for KSP 2 plus a few other NASA inspired missions. I'm hesitant to get too ahead of myself as no modding details have been released about KSP 2. For instance how detailed can the models be before it starts to bog down, or how will PBR textures be used.

Once you guys have links to your mods, let me know and I'll update the main thread with your links.

I don't think I need to do this anymore. I am sure that my help will not be required since @DylanSemrau has already done everything that could be done. I am glad that I will soon be able to fly this miracle. So I'll try to find a job for myself. I mean, I think I'll figure something out ...

I'm not sure why you think that @Briso, your input into the RO /RSS is just as important. Like I said, I see it as a community mod, many people have taken this on and put their own spin on it. I would hope that you will also continue to provide feedback or even release your version of the RO /RSS.

Many minds are better than one alone.

Edited by Radar

4 hours ago, Radar said:

I'm not sure why you think that @Briso, your input into the RO /RSS is just as important. Like I said, I see it as a community mod, many people have taken this on and put their own spin on it. I would hope that you will also continue to provide feedback or even release your version of the RO /RSS.

Many minds are better than one alone.

Aww. I wanted to say that there is a special job that I have long wanted to do. Of course I'm not leaving here. I just doubt that I can do anything to help now because there is some work in which I can test myself and my skills. If you need my help, I'm always in touch. ;)

@DylanSemrau i currently have an RO install ready waiting for this mod. I would not mind helping you test it out. (Docking, Testing with mechjeb (Especially ascent guidance), etc)

One thing that did make this impossible to fly was the fact that in RO it would go crazy flips when flying with PVG. There have been fixes for this in the RO configs so I am hoping that you keep those the same. If you need more details let me know

2 hours ago, Prathtel said:

@DylanSemrau i currently have an RO install ready waiting for this mod. I would not mind helping you test it out. (Docking, Testing with mechjeb (Especially ascent guidance), etc)

One thing that did make this impossible to fly was the fact that in RO it would go crazy flips when flying with PVG. There have been fixes for this in the RO configs so I am hoping that you keep those the same. If you need more details let me know

https://github.com/DylanSemrau/Space-Shuttle-System Here's the github repo, you'll need b9 part switch and kspwheel

There might be some things that still need addressing, let me know if you see anything

On 5/28/2020 at 8:39 PM, DylanSemrau said:

There might be some things that still need addressing, let me know if you see anything

Are there docs for settings to get the Shuttle into a planned orbit with PVG?
I can get it into orbit, but it doesn't resemble anything I set for it.

8 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

Are there docs for settings to get the Shuttle into a planned orbit with PVG?
I can get it into orbit, but it doesn't resemble anything I set for it.

I'm not at all familiar with mechjeb so I wouldn't be the best person to talk to about that

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.