[x.x.x] Space Shuttle in development

Radar

3 hours ago, lamegaming said:

when i start the game with this mod, i cant select any buttons on the main menu

ive tried @SpaceODY's version and i have JSI and KSPWheel installed

this has happened with the dropbox version linked in the 1st page too

https://github.com/DylanSemrau/Space-Shuttle-System

Use this. Ensure you have B9partswitch and KSPWheel. Make sure you are using the correct versions for your game version! Obviously you'll need the correct ModuleManager too. 4.1.4 is the latest.

16 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

I seem to recall the SOCK having some massive issues with Ferram. It's why I don't use it.  Also doesn't work with Dondi's reentry script as far as I recall.
It's been a few months, maybe that's all changed.

Unfortunately, no.
I refactored my script to take in a configuration file for which parts to look for so it could work with SOCK and DECQ alike, and that worked out fine.
Then I tried adjusting the RO cfgs for SOCK and the control authority limiters trying to maintain yaw authority to no avail. It could be that the RCS is underpowered.

I did many tests which got me nowhere, I got a bit frustrated and lay it aside as things to do IRL got the priority.

EDIT: I should mention that another reason I got frustrated with it is that I only really signed up for adapting my script, not really for getting the RO configs to work.

Edited by Dolin

And so. The DECQ message gave me the idea that it was time to really make new 3D models. I started doing it. I don't know how long the work will take. In addition, you will need new textures.   @SpaceODY can I use your wing textures ?

Edited by Briso

27 minutes ago, Briso said:

it was time to really make new 3D models. I started doing it.

You can simply get the 3D models of this shuttle out of the game, make a new model by simply copying the old one, apply textures to it and adjust it as you want.
Nothing complicated.

9 hours ago, Briso said:

And so. The DECQ message gave me the idea that it was time to really make new 3D models. I started doing it. I don't know how long the work will take. In addition, you will need new textures.   @SpaceODY can I use your wing textures ?

Go right ahead. I want this mod alive for as long as possible in the best way possible.

@Briso Like this you mean ?

I've been working on this on and off for some time now. Some models are already complete with minor details to be changed, others have more changes to be done before I start to texture any of them. The models are 1:1 scale so I can get the details and accuracy correct, then I can scale it down to Kerbal size later. The below shuttle is not the final model, it's just what I'm using to get my details and scaling right which is why I'm not showing too much detail. The side rocket you see in the image on it's own is about 80% final, I'm just making small changes because I wasn't happy with how the separation jets were. For example around the top cone area, and for when the cap and Frustum comes away, I wanted that curved top you would see at the top of the rocket when it's floating in water.

As no indication has been given on how much detail KSP2 will need in a model, I've been creating the final cylinder models with 20 sides. Please don't take the wireframe model as final, it has a lot of detail that I wanted to capture before making the final models which I will show off when I'm 110% happy with how it looks against the real thing.

I already have DUMMY's (3ds Max term) for where each separation is, parachutes, cameras, lights, door hinges / animation, fuel blasts etc for the models I created. I haven't done a lot of the textures if I'm honest as I find myself making more and more changes to the models each time I open it up or I find another photo that shows something I've missed. And besides, until they mention more on the PBR (Physics Based Render) it's probably best kept till the last minute anyway.

I've kept quiet in the forums because in my time I've been working on this and various other models. I do get the emails from people posting in the thread, but with the constant changes in KSP 1, and 3rd party mods needing to be updated as a result ie KSP Wheel etc, I just haven't bothered loading it up when I could be doing this instead. Ideally I want this one to be solely using the base games code for example the animation for the wheels over a 3rd party KSP Wheel type mod so it can work between versions of the KSP 2 game and not be stuck until a 3rd party mod is updated. The same will likely apply for the cockpit area if I'm honest.

shuttle.JPG
rockets.JPGCandarm.jpg

Edited by Radar

2 hours ago, Radar said:

I've been working on this on and off for some time now. Some models are already complete with minor details to be changed, others have more changes to be done before I start to texture any of them. The models are 1:1 scale so I can get the details and accuracy correct, then I can scale it down to Kerbal size later. The below shuttle is not the final model, it's just what I'm using to get my details and scaling right which is why I'm not showing too much detail. The side rocket you see in the image on it's own is about 80% final, I'm just making small changes because I wasn't happy with how the separation jets were. For example around the top cone area, and for when the cap and Frustum comes away, I wanted that curved top you would see at the top of the rocket when it's floating in water.

As no indication has been given on how much detail KSP2 will need in a model, I've been creating the final cylinder models with 20 sides. Please don't take the wireframe model as final, it has a lot of detail that I wanted to capture before making the final models which I will show off when I'm 110% happy with how it looks against the real thing.

I already have DUMMY's (3ds Max term) for where each separation is, parachutes, cameras, lights, door hinges / animation, fuel blasts etc for the models I created. I haven't done a lot of the textures if I'm honest as I find myself making more and more changes to the models each time I open it up or I find another photo that shows something I've missed. And besides, until they mention more on the PBR (Physics Based Render) it's probably best kept till the last minute anyway.

I've kept quiet in the forums because in my time I've been working on this and various other models. I do get the emails from people posting in the thread, but with the constant changes in KSP 1, and 3rd party mods needing to be updated as a result ie KSP Wheel etc, I just haven't bothered loading it up when I could be doing this instead. Ideally I want this one to be solely using the base games code for example the animation for the wheels over a 3rd party KSP Wheel type mod so it can work between versions of the KSP 2 game and not be stuck until a 3rd party mod is updated. The same will likely apply for the cockpit area if I'm honest.

shuttle.JPG
rockets.JPGCandarm.jpg

Aww. Hello. We have already crossed paths with you for a long time. I hope you remember me. I thought you were still going to develop a mod only for KSP 2. Then in this case, I stop developing new models. We look forward to hearing the news ! And let me ask you a question. Did you make a canadarm ? :confused::D

3 hours ago, Radar said:

shuttle.JPG
rockets.JPGCandarm.jpg

Canadarm looks sweet. I think the canadarm is the biggest thing needing a revamp.

@Briso I totally remember you yes. It has been a while between chats.

The models I'm doing are for KSP 2 in mind, if others want to use the models for KSP 1 then I'll let those users do that. My aim is KSP 2 only with all the details, the animation etc.  As mentioned, I see this as more a community thing, so I have no plans to just keep everything on my chest and not share the work for others to transfer it into KSP1 or with RO etc.

My models are scratch built, the SRMS (canadarm) is one of those completed early last year.

The only thing I have issues with with this version is reEntry without using a KOS script, and a functional, non buggy, up to date canadarm. Other than that it's fine. Although updated versions are always welcomed if they improve upon the original.

With the release of the final 1.12 update it would be wonderful to see the shuttle brought up to speed now that it won’t get wrecked every few months. Thank you for all the hard work @Radar and everyone else who has been a part of this mod and the ones that came before it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.