Jump to content

[x.x.x] Space Shuttle in development


Radar
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 5/13/2021 at 8:33 PM, si2504 said:

Do you have your staging organized correctly? It's really no different to how you launch anything else

Yes my steps are well organized, but i think it's more a problem of center of mass or th steering vector, because when i launch it via MJ2, the shuttle do some bad things like:

  • After the SRB's  stage, the shuttle start shaking a lot and and I think is not good for the guidance
  • When I'm arriving to the target Ap, the shuttle goes crazy and flip in every side 

Impossible for me to get into orbit.

link to some pic's: Shuttle RSS/RO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, La Piante said:

Yes my steps are well organized, but i think it's more a problem of center of mass or th steering vector, because when i launch it via MJ2, the shuttle do some bad things like:

  • After the SRB's  stage, the shuttle start shaking a lot and and I think is not good for the guidance
  • When I'm arriving to the target Ap, the shuttle goes crazy and flip in every side 

Impossible for me to get into orbit.

link to some pic's: Shuttle RSS/RO

hi, where is the download link???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

3 hours ago, La Piante said:

Impossible for me to get into orbit.

I get into orbit all the time.  The numbers are on this thread a couple pages before this post.  

Edited by slaintemaith
I realized I was talking about a different Shuttle. =)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

I've been able to launch it using MechJeb and PVG in a 2.5x KSRSS.
Reentry can be done manually, and is a cinch.
The trick is landing it.  The runway is broken in KSRSS 2.5x.  At least for me it is.  I bounce off invisible seams and die.

 

 

 

I get into orbit all the time.  The numbers are on this thread a couple pages before this post.  

I really don't know how to use the primer vector guidance in mechjeb 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah.  I was talking about a different shuttle.  
I was using Cormorant Aeronology's shuttle in KSRSS 2.5x.
I was also using Ferram's Aerospace Research.
PVG should work, though. I use these settings.

  • Set Periapsis to 0 (You can set this higher, but if you leave it at zero, the ET has zero chance of remaining in orbit with you.  It doesn't cost that much d/v to get Pe to 90+)
  • Apoapsis as desired.  
  • Attach Altitude set for something above 90 (This is how high you'll be at MECO--I like to coast uphill for a few minutes to make sure I have time to get prograde and roll 180) 
  • You'll want to Omit Coast (SSMEs only light once)
  • Keep Limited Throttle over 65% (This will simulate throttledown--you can skip this)
  • Force Roll to 180 for both climb and turn (This will orient the shuttle properly--if you want to use finesse, roll to 0 for the last two minutes of flight.  Just remember to set it back to 180 before the next launch.  [Ask me how I know])
  • Drop Solids early--this you might have to play with--I'm not sure when to drop them in 2.5x, but you should certainly dump the SRBs when they're at 10% rated thrust or less.  I know in RSS/RO it's about 0.4 seconds.  Your mileage may vary.

That should be it.  You're not in orbit yet--you'll still need to use OMS at apoapsis to nudge your periapsis over 90km.

Hope this helps.

20 minutes ago, davide96 said:

I really don't know how to use the primer vector guidance in mechjeb 

 

Edited by slaintemaith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

Yeah.  I was talking about a different shuttle.  
I was using Cormorant Aeronology's shuttle in KSRSS 2.5x.
I was also using Ferram's Aerospace Research.
PVG should work, though. I use these settings.

  • Set Periapsis to 0 (You can set this higher, but if you leave it at zero, the ET has zero chance of remaining in orbit with you.  It doesn't cost that much d/v to get Pe to 90+)
  • Apoapsis as desired.  
  • Attach Altitude set for something above 90 (This is how high you'll be at MECO--I like to coast uphill for a few minutes to make sure I have time to get prograde and roll 180) 
  • You'll want to Omit Coast (SSMEs only light once)
  • Keep Limited Throttle over 65% (This will simulate throttledown--you can skip this)
  • Force Roll to 180 for both climb and turn (This will orient the shuttle properly--if you want to use finesse, roll to 0 for the last two minutes of flight.  Just remember to set it back to 180 before the next launch.  [Ask me how I know])
  • Drop Solids early--this you might have to play with--I'm not sure when to drop them in 2.5x, but you should certainly dump the SRBs when they're at 10% rated thrust or less.  I know in RSS/RO it's about 0.4 seconds.  Your mileage may vary.

That should be it.  You're not in orbit yet--you'll still need to use OMS at apoapsis to nudge your periapsis over 90km.

Hope this helps.

 

Thanks dude, I will try this ASAP, I was able to use the classic ascent vector but PVG it's more efficient. 

Thanks again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2021 at 9:55 PM, Sanchez_1 said:

My Engine mount nor my cabin are showing up, is there a mod conflict Im not aware of? Any help is appreciated. (Edit: its a mod conflict dont know which mod.)

 

On 3/19/2021 at 9:55 PM, Sanchez_1 said:

Edited March 20 by Sanchez_1
Found problem.

what mod is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There isn't, but that didn't stop me from using Kermantech's IVA anyway.  I just patched it in.  The windows don't line up, but the avionics work great.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:07 AM, si2504 said:

Is there an IVA for SSS? and how do you toggle the camera views using RPM?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2020 at 5:58 PM, Radar said:

@DylanSemrau has my full support as do you @Briso I see this as a community mod, not solely mine as it wasn't built by me, just modified to work with version 1.6 of the game back then.

I'm glad to see people pick it up, especially you guys, it can be a lot of work for one person especially if they have a different direction to others. I'm glad to see DylanSemau bring back the side boosters as I had texture issues with this when I took it on. Good to see it come back in it's glory and as mentioned above, I didn't include different skins as I wanted to use as much of the native game as possible, not rely on extra mods.

I'm building from scratch the shuttle complete with the differences in the tale for KSP 2 plus a few other NASA inspired missions. I'm hesitant to get too ahead of myself as no modding details have been released about KSP 2. For instance how detailed can the models be before it starts to bog down, or how will PBR textures be used.

Once you guys have links to your mods, let me know and I'll update the main thread with your links.

Am I allowed to do it aswell? I have a good foundation of the mod and waterfall support for it too that I want to give people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because Radar sees this mod as a community mod I have got a version of this mod that has waterfall support and realistic time period textures here: https://github.com/SpaceODY/Space-Shuttle-System-Expanded
I did nothing to the 3D objects. I only have up to date support and better textures on it there. All credits are in the description there.

 

Photo of it with Waterfall:

119230950-20c4a480-bae4-11eb-84ee-97c4ff28bbe4.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, si2504 said:

@Dolin Could you please help me understand the meaning of "HAC Position" when using the shuttle approach and entry assistant.

Refer to minute 10:00 of the video I made :

Spoiler

 

When you select a runway end,  the program calculates two HAC points some distance away from the threshold, to the left or right side of the centreline. Left and Right are intended looking down along the direction of the runwya you chose, obviously if you switch to the opposite end it reverses.
You will most likely come in with enough energy to do the overhead bank approach that the real Shuttle did, meaning that you will choose the end of the runway furthest from you. So you need to draw in your head the same kind of picture I showed in the video and pick the left or right HAC based on where you are.

Edited by Dolin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sampa said:

Just a heads up, the current version of the shuttle has malfunctioning landing gear

also, a wishlist item, full compatibility with AlphaMensae's launch pad mod

how so? landing gear works fine in mine. And MLP adds a node to the bottom of the external tank to attach to the shuttle launch platform...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...