You have just bought 6 seats on the BFR luna flyby

James Kerman

26 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Humanity doesn't need to be inspired by 'artists'. Forget looking to anyone who has 'fame', for none of them are beyond reproach.

Yeah, seriously. Why would I send famous people? They can afford their own seats. I would pick me and my family. My father-in-law would get a kick out of it too, there's seat #6. If average people doing extraordinary things don't inspire you, well, sorry.

1 hour ago, Aperture Science said:

how do you come up with this

The first manned BFR luna tourist mission will take 6-8 artists, who's seats are paid for by Yusaku Maezawa in an effort to inspire humanity as was announced by Elon Musk today. 

I was interested to see who other members would consider to be able to produce something interesting and inspiring. 

I never though about poetry, silly me.

My first thought was "Who's expendable ?" and artists were not among the top ten ...

*cough*, i don't know, to real artists i would actually recommend to wait a few flights until everything runs smooth. Lagerfeld, ... is he not reported to have a difficult character ? Also he'll probably overload the filters with perfume. Anyway, i doubt he'd do that.

I think i would offer the tickets here in the forum and the first seven get one. Those guys are surely happier and much more inclined to take the risk.

Oh, believe it or not, i would offer mine as well :-)

Edited by Green Baron

52 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

I know you wanted a discussion of the most "inspiring" artists, but honestly I cant get behind Elon's super-marketing. I have too low an opinion of Elon to contribute much more without being a total downer.

Its not Elon's idea, its Yusaku Maezawa's idea to send 6-8 artists to space.

It seems like many people don't exactly know about what this thread is about, and miss the point, Luna 1 style. For those people:

https://dearmoon.earth/

As for people who could go to space, how about Tim Dodd the Everyday Astronaut? He is the first person that comes to mind when thinking about an inspiring space person.

Edited by NSEP

Does anyone know if the BFR come equipped with Vicodin in the med bay?

57 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Lagerfeld, ... is he not reported to have a difficult character ?

According to my wife Karl Lagerfeld is the most essential person on my list.

27 minutes ago, Elthy said:

I would definetly launch Hans Zimmer up there.

Now that's a great choice.

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Humanity doesn't need to be inspired by 'artists'. Forget looking to anyone who has 'fame', for none of them are beyond reproach.

I actually think the notion (it's a commercial transaction, after all, more power to him) is an interesting one.

Everyone in this forum does simulation games by definition. This has been argued to the nth degree here, but even KSP is a simulation, it's just a very coarse one (you don't have to model every breath or use of the space toilet for it to be a simulation to whatever order (zeroith?) we want to call it. This means that when we hear about a space event, or watch a film, we have a sort of intuitive understanding that people that don't do space sims (or think a Star Wars game is one) just don't have. I played WW2 combat flight sims for years, and while I had read dozens of books about the subject before I flew sims, I didn't "get" what I was reading about until after I did sims. Now I can read a first hand account of a dogfight, and I much more deeply understand what is happening.

I think that this could possibly be true with art informed by such a trip. Alan Bean became an artist after Apollo. Even an uninterested (in fluff) sort of guy like Frank Borman, who joined NASA to fight the Russians a novel way was moved---not by the Moon, but by the Earth so tiny in the distance.

If the artists are the wrong ones, it could add little to the world, but if the right ones manage to go, it could be pretty interesting. Science fiction written by someone who actually "gets" zero-g at a visceral level, instead of a merely intellectual one.

Dunno, I'm intrigued, and I think it might work to generate public interest among the sort of people who might generally say that this money is wasted and should be spent in a more parochial way.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Its not Elon's idea, its Yusaku Maezawa's idea to send 6-8 artists to space.

It seems like many people don't exactly know about what this thread is about, and miss the point, Luna 1 style. For those people:

https://dearmoon.earth/

As for people who could go to space, how about Tim Dodd the Everyday Astronaut? He is the first person that comes to mind when thinking about an inspiring space person.

1 hour ago, James Kerman said:

It isn't Elon's plan so no worries.

Its not Yusaku Maezawa's space tourist business though, right?

The whole thing bothers me, and for that reason, Im out.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by p1t1o

13 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Its not Yusaku Maezawa's space tourist business though, right? 

The whole thing bothers me, and for that reason, Im out.

I tend to think that for humans in space, tourism is practically the only use case I can imagine that ever needs more than a handful of people.

If it's trivial to send people someplace, then we can send geologists, etc. Otherwise, robots are always going to be cheaper (and this situation will only get better, not worse for the robots as they become more and more capable of functioning without direct control (with comm lag)).

As such, I think a tourism case is actually not a bad idea---assuming you care about human spaceflight.

Interesting points here.

I personally find it a totally different thing doing something in front of a pc without any actual real world consequences or doing a real life excursion. Actually flying a plane is different from playing a simulation and actually being in a situation where decisions must be felled is not for everybody, i can tell you. The feeling of accomplishment, of success when doing something like flying, sailing, diving can't be matched by being flown around. But who am i, some people are happy with being passengers.

And that's what these guys are, imo, maybe even guinea pigs for future trips. It is black outside, every so and so comes a blue blob, a bright yellow one and a pale white one. It is microgravity with all its consequences to every day life.

Does anyone remember the first cruise ship passenger ?

Never mind my insolence :-)

You know, in my early career I was a nuclear submariner. It was a lot of hard work for not a lot of pay, and I would not go back to it for all the tea in China. But I will tell you: Standing between the main engines and hearing them roar while the boat was at ahead flank 400 feet under the Atlantic Ocean. That was an amazing experience, something that not many people have ever seen or heard that is indelibly etched in my memory. Will I be remembered for that experience? Hardly. But I don't really care, because it's my memory, not anyone else's.

That's why I would go on a trip to the Moon. Not to be famous or to stake out a milestone in history. Just to go, to have the memory.

And, besides, taking a bunch of beautiful people up there to Instagram the whole trip is just going to make everyone else miserable anyway. If you really want to inspire people figure out how to get them to get off their couches, put their screens down, and start living their lives.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.