#autoLOC and freeze in loading screen

51 minutes ago, Audiopulse said:

Here is what I got:

2lk5sax.jpg

Everything else was Steam or KSP itself - nothing else.

I dont know what I am looking at, but maybe you do?

MsMpEng.exe is part of the Windows Defender (Microsoft Malware Protection Engine).

Should be easy to find out if it's actually the windows defender which messes up your install by excluding the localization dictionary or even the whole install folder from scanning.

(I don't run an english version of microsoft and have to translate the steps through the menu so it's probably a bit different ;))
To do so, open your windows settings -> security and updates -> virus- and malware protection -> settings for virus and malware protection -> exclusions. You can add folders or files to the list, so if you add the whole KSP install folder and the issue gone, then you got your answer. Well, if the issue persists...I'm honestly out of ideas.

Apparently the Localization-file is still being deleted. I sequentially made three exceptions: The KSP directory, the Localization-directory and finally the .cfg itself.

I doublechecked if i did the exclusions right and tried launching the game through steam or just with a restart of the machine, as the Localization-file seems to be deleted upon starting the game through steam and when Windows finishes startup (...or when shutting down, for all I know)

I think thats wild. i specifically excluded a file not to be tampered with, but Windows deletes it anyway?

Edit: Interesting. I didnt really think about it yet, but just now I realized the Career games I deleted twice now keep reappearing whenever I verify KSPs local files. This is probably steams doing?
Normally I wouls expect Steam to understand I want these saves gone - maybe this has something to say?

The Career I actively play it saves flights and all correctly, though.

Edited by Audiopulse

7 hours ago, Audiopulse said:

Edit: Interesting. I didnt really think about it yet, but just now I realized the Career games I deleted twice now keep reappearing whenever I verify KSPs local files. This is probably steams doing?
Normally I wouls expect Steam to understand I want these saves gone - maybe this has something to say?

The Career I actively play it saves flights and all correctly, though.

Did you delete the savegames ingame or in the explorer? This sounds steam doesn't recognize the savegames beeing deleted and restores them from the cloud.

I kinda doubt that the cloud also messes around with other files like the dictionary but who knows? The easiest way  to find out would be to deactivate the cloud for KSP (right click on KSP in your steam library -> properties -> updates). Not the first time I've read about the cloud messing around but the last time, it was related to the stock crafts and a mod which added some crafts to the same folder....these crafts were restored on each game launch but shouldn't be in the cloud at all, so I guess it's worth a try ;)

Well yes - fixing the reappearing careers should not be a problem. Them even reappearing is not much of a problem, actually.

But I guess regarding the mysterious deletion of KSPs localization we are at the end of our line? Should I report this issue to Microsoft kind of as a bug maybe?

• 2 years later...

This is certainly not a new thread, but it is the top search result on Google for this problem so I thought I would chime in with what solved this for me. After trying so many things and even having the same problem on a completely new PC and OS install:

Check the KSP-folder, make sure nothing is set to read-only (check the top-level folder).  The game launches fine from Steam after removing read-only, at least for me. Hopefully this helps someone!

1 hour ago, Coto said:

This is certainly not a new thread, but it is the top search result on Google for this problem so I thought I would chime in with what solved this for me. After trying so many things and even having the same problem on a completely new PC and OS install:

Check the KSP-folder, make sure nothing is set to read-only (check the top-level folder).  The game launches fine from Steam after removing read-only, at least for me. Hopefully this helps someone!

Does this not prevent you from saving the game and ships? If not, it's a neat workaround :)

22 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Does this not prevent you from saving the game and ships? If not, it's a neat workaround :)

Notice that I turned off read-only, I didn't turn it on :) Many people were having these problems after a re-install, I guess some files are created as read-only during install. I believe that under certain (maybe localization related?) circumstances Steam bugs out when it cannot access these files, and this causes the problem.

5 hours ago, Coto said:

Notice that I turned off read-only, I didn't turn it on :) Many people were having these problems after a re-install, I guess some files are created as read-only during install. I believe that under certain (maybe localization related?) circumstances Steam bugs out when it cannot access these files, and this causes the problem.

OOHH, I misread that :confused:

I thought you're suggesting to set the KSP directoy to read only so it's not possible to remove any files and once the game is installed, everything stays in place.  Though, it would most likely prevent you from saving anything...

Your thought process makes a bit more sense^^

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.