Elemental Space Program

spaceprogrammer

MBaxPdr.png
I am starting a series of post to catalogue the progression of my space program. The name of the series is a reference to the naming scheme I will be using which is naming each class of rockets after a different element in the periodic table. The first post should appear in the next few days.

Modlist

• [x] Science!
  • B9 Procedural Wings
  • Better Burn Time
  • Community Resource Pack
  • Community Tech Tree
  • Insterstellar Fuel Switch
  • Interstellar Hybrid Rocketry
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • Kerbal Construction Time
  • Kerbalism
  • MechJeb2
  • Final Frontier
  • Persistent Rotation
  • Photon Sail
  • Principia
  • Procedural Parts
  • Scrap Yard
  • Oh Scrap!
  • Stage Recovery
  • Tweak Scale
  • Universal Storage
  • Unmanned Before Manned
  • Interstellar Extended
  • Wild Blue Industries MOLE

Ships Used In The Space Program:

Spoiler

NWzbiFR.png

Helium-1 A simple sounding rocket that flips over once it reaches a high speed

uVs0yla.png

Hydrogen-1 Helium A Hydrogen one, boosted by the helium winged booster. It is misclassified as a sounding rocket but can get into a solar orbit on the two SRBs alone.

4q1IoxZ.png

Lithium-1 Beryllium A Lithium one satellite boosted on a beryllium booster system. It flies fairly well but does not have sufficient comms for a munar mission.

fbjSRqH.png

A second lithium-2 Beryllium satellite, this one has two relay antennae making it suitable for both LKO and Munar comms.

uHuEdJq.png

Lithium-1 Berylium Commsat launcher 2. Capable of boosting 3 commsats into GKO orbit.

Edited by spaceprogrammer
Added the ships

Spoiler
tjkklJo.png
Basic Options Screen
lTHCbck.png
Advanced Options Screen
3mHIqqU.png
Kerbalism Options Screen
vObJPct.png
Oh Scrap! Options Screen
gA9cvRN.png
Scrapyard Options Screen
c9nS6oD.png
Main Game Setup
aic61P5.png
First Contracts
Ljx0D4U.png
Upgrading the VAB
0hvzS8m.png
First Ship, A SRB powered sounding rocket
22lDvAF.png
Early Morning Launch
8w11Qat.png
Great Initiial Liftoff
j3jz3hg.png
Apparently not stable at supersonic velocities. Trying to keep the ship away from the ground until the science finishes uploading.
2pt6TMy.png
Unlocking the tech tree nodes
F2A8EYI.png
Second ship, the same as the first, but boosted into space by a winged booster to combat the aerodynamic instability
DRqxnQ7.png
Launching for the second time.
9b8L1wK.png
Very high speed exit of the atmosphere
wvueJCx.png
Burning into orbit
KpPcmrN.png
Great shot of the perturbed kerbin orbit. Mostly due to the mun.
MJIywJ4.png
Got lots more parts from the 128.8 science on that mission
fDG7opf.png
Upgrading the VAB
1qI2Jzt.png
Apparently this does not count as a stable orbit so I will wait until next time to fulfill that contract.

First Orbit

1qI2Jzt.png

First Munar Satellite

xzXgtBl.png

Spoiler

FRK6gMa.png

Initial Design for the satellite

5w0Pl9e.png

Test Flight Beginning as planned

6MYfdBd.png

Main booster fails to fire

Xl66IwS.png

Successful reentry and landing

xzXgtBl.png

Lunar Satellite Payload

Dueb2bR.png

Final Satellite Design

CT850Ih.png

Transfer Orbit Path

Naak2nh.png

Final Lunar Orbit of the satellite

uHuEdJq.png

Forgot to take screenshots but This craft was launched to create the first Kerbostationary commnet. Two of the satellites  successfully reached Kerbostationary orbit, but a fuel pump failure forced the third to remain in a eccentric transfer orbit. Due to the Munar comms satellite and the two current Kerbostationary satellites there will be a remote connection 90% of the time in the kerbin system.

4 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Can you fix the text in the spoiler on the first post? It's nearly unreadable.

It looks fixed to me now, can you confirm?

As an additional update, I just moved to linux and so will be removing principia for the forseeable future until I have time to figure out packaging issues that cause a crash on loading the save.

I'm currently in the process of recovering the save from an error with some mod that was incurred by moving the save from windows to linux, but I should have the save updated by the end of the week and will resume posting.

Edit: The Recovery was successfull and in the process of re-flying all the ships into orbit a third commsat was successfuly launched to geostationary orbit, although all three sattelites have various levels of malfunction, they will be replaced before it matters too much.

Two additional mods have been added: Take Command and Extensive Engineer Report, which gives a much better checklist for building spacecraft.

Spoiler

31144018988_e15791c703_b.jpg

The Initial flight of the new Elemental Space Program, A massively overpowered ship, even by Kerbal standards, the Hydrogen-1 has a TWR of over 10:1.

31144018208_7be72b6002_b.jpg

The ship started to burn up from Aerodynamic heating at just 10Km above the ground at a speed of over 1Km

31144017488_9b35464365_b.jpg

The ship exploded 4s later, at over 2Km/s of speed. Overall a great testimony to good engineering and the evils of a high TWR.

44297217744_eccc5429ca_b.jpg

The disastrous flight returned a small amount of science and 120000 funds to be invested in new liquid fuel technology.

44297215834_629e031751_z.jpg

The second rocket built by the Elemental Space Program, a Hydrogen Sounding Rocket atop the new Helium-a winged booster was definitely a success

44297212654_c25199af6b_z.jpg

Booster separation occured at 50Km with a nominal ascent. Due to the small control surfaces a gravity turn was not possible, but due to over 6Km/s of delta-v being available it was not necessary.

44297211294_0a058874ff_z.jpg

The burn to reach orbit was nominal with only one failure on the redundant comms antennae.

30080239207_7e53f0975f_z.jpg

The final orbit reached into solar space, but ran out of battery power much too quickly for any science to be gained from the excursion.

44297204394_f484dd2ea4_z.jpg

The final science and funds unlocked several more tech tree nodes and allowed for the main launch site to be upgraded to allow for heavier and larger rockets to be launched. Next mission will be the launch and testing of the new commsats into kerbin orbit.

I'm going to have to take a break off of this post for a few weeks because of school and some upcoming texts. So I wont be posting anything new in a while.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.