An interesting first Munar encounter...

gruesomebrat

https://imgur.com/a/hfYty0y

Jebediah decided that with nearly 1000m/s delta-V left in Kerbal orbit, a first Mun encounter could be attempted before returning with his suborbital tourist. Hilarity ensued.

His 170km Munar periapsis slingshotted him out to just over 74,000km above Kerbin, where a short burn brought him down to within 160km of home, where a second burn sent him to his second Munar encounter, this time at a mere 45km to bring him in on a suborbital polar approach... Hilke Kerman got a bit more of a tour than he expected for a mere 12,000 Funds.

I've been alternating between laughing and crying at this game all morning.

Edited by gruesomebrat

Were... Were they able to come home safely? That's always the biggest concern.

Nice job, though. I love it when the lines line up like that. Hilke will certainly have some interesting stories to tell, assuming he can survive twelve days with Jebediah...

A similar event is in the spoiler.

Spoiler

So, I got a contract to extract ore from the Mun and bring it to Kerbin Orbit. No sweat, easy as... something easy. Anyways, I then accepted another contract to grab some ore from Minmus and, as usual, deliver it to Kerbin. The Mun and Minmus however, were aligned perfectly. I completed the Mun-to-orbit contract and set up an encounter for Minmus... For 70.0m/s of ∆v.

Bbi4lHQ.png

As you said, this game makes you laugh and cry. And, depending on how long you've been playing, you're in for many more suprises.

Edited by GearsNSuch

I spent the entire afternoon trying different tactics to get them home. Thank God for savefiles. I lost count of how many times Jeb and Hilke either burned up on re-entry or got stranded on an elliptical between Kerbin and the Mun. 

Eventually went back to the launch save and simply completed a Kerbal orbit and deorbit. Not as interesting or exciting, but at least it gets them home safe.

Edited by gruesomebrat
Fixing autocorrect

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.