KSP Weekly: Space Junk

SQUAD

11 hours ago, Enceos said:

Steam statistics

Steam statistics are notoriously unreliable and a constant source of debate, please don't use them to make any definitive statements on anything, least of all what percentage of people play games on Linux.

On top of that, we're talking about KSP here, of which the first action after downloading the game is to move it out of the Steam location so we can keep our saves/mods safe from surprise Steam updates. Steam 'sees' only a fraction of the actual KSP population.

12 hours ago, steve_v said:

It can try, but these "statistics" are sure as hell not getting out of my network.

Indeed. I for one check all my games for "analytics" BS, and maintain a comprehensive firewall ruleset to prevent it.

If game developers are relying on this kind of borderline-spyware to get their usage figures, such figures probably bear little resemblance to reality.

If most joystick/game-pad users are blocking the statistics like you are, then that could be part of the reason that joystick support is such a low priority.

They can only use the information that they have, so if you are part of a group that specifically excludes themselves from usage statistics, you should not be surprised when your group gets less attention/resources than you should be getting, as you are 'flying under the radar' and being ignored is part of that. 

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

Steam statistics are notoriously unreliable and a constant source of debate, please don't use them to make any definitive statements on anything, least of all what percentage of people play games on Linux.

On top of that, we're talking about KSP here, of which the first action after downloading the game is to move it out of the Steam location so we can keep our saves/mods safe from surprise Steam updates. Steam 'sees' only a fraction of the actual KSP population.

Those are just the statistics we have had a chance to see.

I am pretty confident that T2I has the numbers for the number of distinct accounts on each of Steam, GOG, and the KSP store that have downloaded the different versions of the game.

And if you do not have an account where you purchased and downloaded the game, you do not count as you are not a customer.

Let's see, if say 1% of purchasers have ever downloaded a Linux version, and 75% of those block usage statistics, then even if 100% of Linux users use Joysticks, T2I will only see 25% of those, or 0.25% of the user-base as Joystick using Linux players.

Looks like your security-conscious behaviors are working directly *against* your goal of getting a fix for Joysticks on Linux as a cost-effective use of developer time.

Getting your data scooped up and sold by unscrupulous corporations sucks, but so does getting ignored when you have problems.  You just got to pick your poison I guess.

10 hours ago, Terwin said:

Looks like your security-conscious behaviors are working directly *against* your goal of getting a fix for Joysticks on Linux as a cost-effective use of developer time.

If protecting oneself from spyware means you don't get counted, the developer is simply using a bogus metric.

If KSP didn't have an analytics off switch when I bought it, I would not have.
The removal of this option is one of the reasons I'm liquided at Squad ATM.

Spyware and greed seems to be all we got when TTI became involved, an afaiac Squad sold us out.
If the sale brought more resources to work on fixing the game, I don't see it. Your talk of corporate decisions, numbers and user percentages only backs this up. Greed, plain and simple.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:45 PM, SQUAD said:

as with the other command modules we’ve shown, we added a new shader to give the QBE a metallic look that shines and interacts with light

yeah - shiny ,looks good,texture difference is amazing,specialy the font

On 9/21/2018 at 10:45 PM, SQUAD said:

developers have been busy fixing various known issues

thats much appreciated!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.