Did you know that you can use .png files to render part skins?

I decided that I wanted to mod some existing fuel tanks to be fuel only and wanted them to look differently so I could distinguish them from the originals.

From what I gathered is that Unity (3d program {compiler?} with KSP part tools) will not reverse engineer the .mu file which is the 3d graphic for a part. I did not want to install and learn some 3d program just for modding some tanks and so looked for an easier way to do it. Eventually I discovered that you can use Portable Network Graphics (PNG) files to render the skin. You can create these in MS Paint and other programs.

If this has not been covered already and enough people want more info on how to do this, I will do a write-up on this thread. But if this is an already well known fact then please let me know and then this thread can fade into obscurity.

It is pretty well-known for modders, but it will still be a good thread just in case others want to learn modding.

As a new modder, this is what I suggest doing. Create a new .cfg, use a new name for the part, select the relevant model(.mu), change whatever resources as you like, then add a line that gives it a new texture.

I also suggest making a copy of the ksp before messing around with the .cfgs. Or download mods and learn from them.

Moving to Modeling and Texturing Discussion.

Actually, all part textures used to be .png.  Many KSP versions ago, they switched over to using .dds instead, since it's more memory-efficient when they're loaded in-game.  But .png is still supported.

The moral of the story is:  yes, you can use .png if you want, but it'll suck up more memory than .dds and could affect game performance if you do it a lot.  So if you're doing something other than just playing around-- e.g. if you're a modder making your own part-- it's a good idea to learn how to produce a .dds file.

A handy way to develop a thing is to use .png while in development (because it's quick and easy to edit and tweak in various image editors), then convert it over to .dds when you're ready to distribute your mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.