Kroslev Kerman

No Science from recovering asteroids? RIDICLIOUS

Recommended Posts

I was playing my science mode and i had the claw module and i saw that a Asteroid glitched it self into a Kerbin orbit(not very stable)and i went to go get it and i landed it on kerbin with parachutes(a ton)and when i recovered i got no science from the asteroid

Edited by Kroslev Kerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Kroslev Kerman said:

I was playing my science mode and i had the claw module and i saw that a Asteroid glitched it self into a Kerbin orbit(not very stable)and i went to go get it and i landed it on kerbin with parachutes(a ton)and when i recovered i got no science from the asteroid

That's a fair point, there should be some science and monetary reward for recovering an asteroid. 

Then again, planting one by the monuments in front of the VAB is also very cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like everything else in KSP you have to run a science experiment to get any reward.

A Kerbal on EVA can take a sample of the asteroid and get science points.

Not sure what made you expect a reward for bringing a big hunk of ore back to Kerbin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah but it would make sense that you make science from an asteroids because you can get interesting stuff or how asteroids are formed and in KSP that would be science

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry in order to get any gain in the game you must right click a small moving target and click one of 18 buttons. Simply recovering the asteroid is not nearly convoluted enough.

</jaded>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Not sure what made you expect a reward for bringing a big hunk of ore back to Kerbin?

More. Like, you not only provide a small sample from the surface, but a ton of them, full spectrum of whatever is inside, since it was created somewhere far away in the system, bilions of years ago, you know, kinda the usual science stuff. That could give at least few times the usual surface sample reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asteroids are just very large parts, game-wise, and the part definition for them has a funds value of zero. The science value would be the same as recovering any other craft from wherever this came from.

However, if you can land one, you most certainly can send something out to meet it, extract all of the ore and recover that for funds.

If you don't mind part editing or Module Manager use, you could modify the part to add some funds value to it. There might already be an add-on that does this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could add contract missions to retrieve an asteroid while that contract grants you a large chunk of science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

More. Like, you not only provide a small sample from the surface, but a ton of them, full spectrum of whatever is inside, since it was created somewhere far away in the system, bilions of years ago, you know, kinda the usual science stuff. That could give at least few times the usual surface sample reward.

I'm asking from the point of view of game logic, not real life logic.

The game has a very simple system of how it gives out major heaps of science points; via parts you attach to your craft and then run tests from, or from Kerbals running tests.

If you've played the game long enough to be doing asteroid capture missions you have prolly have figured out how the "game-reward loop" works and shouldn't be expecting any science reward for recovering it besides maybe a small token handful from the contract itself. Whether it makes sense from a real life perspective or not is a different discussion, as a gamer you shouldn't expect the game to suddenly act differently than it has been the entire time.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some science experiments do work on asteroids, but I don't recall which ones.

Anyone else know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Some science experiments do work on asteroids, but I don't recall which ones.

Anyone else know?

Afaik just the EVA report when near it. Interestingly enough apparently you can get lot's of different results by bringing it places.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Asteroid

Science

Kerbals who fly close to an asteroid during an EVA can take a sample to earn a maximum of 70 Science from each asteroid. Asteroids may be sampled from different situations or even different biomes when the asteroid is landed on a celestial body.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Afaik just the EVA report when near it. Interestingly enough apparently you can get lot's of different results by bringing it places.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Asteroid

Science

Kerbals who fly close to an asteroid during an EVA can take a sample to earn a maximum of 70 Science from each asteroid. Asteroids may be sampled from different situations or even different biomes when the asteroid is landed on a celestial body.

Based on recent RL missions I'd add seismic (accelerometer) and temperature readings.  An argument could be made for Mystery Goo too since, apparently, Mystery Goo has an opinion on just about everything else.

I'm starting the think Mystery Goo is a final phase in the Kerbal life cycle when they're reduced to an immobile brain holding all the knowledge, but with no motor functions - this is why they carry the stuff everywhere and see how it responds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Like everything else in KSP you have to run a science experiment to get any reward. 

Not so.

Just recovering a vessel that has orbited X body will redeem for science points.

Therefore, it is logical to assume that recovering an interplanetary asteroid might offer up some reward.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Not so.

Just recovering a vessel that has orbited X body will redeem for science points.

Therefore, it is logical to assume that recovering an interplanetary asteroid might offer up some reward.

Well yeah, but a small token amount, not a major reward similar to actual science reports.

Some contracts throw a few science points at you here and there to, but it's hardly enough to write home about.

I for one anyways didn't expect any major rewards from it, based on past experience with the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asteroids are regular parts hidden from the user. Although if you really want asteroid science points, post something in S&D (Suggestions and Development)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A while ago I ran an asteroid intercept mission in a science save and got no science, so I gave myself some science through the debug menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 9:58 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Afaik just the EVA report when near it.

I think you know this but to clarify, it's not "Take an EVA report" it's an actual science experiment that your EVA'd Kerbals do on the asteroid, just like how they'd manually do an experiment like the thermometer while EVA'd. Only you can't also do this experiment without an EVA'd Kerbal. These experiments are a new science experiment in every biome and for every asteroid (that you can get EVA'd during, so "flying" may be difficult).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, roboslacker said:

A while ago I ran an asteroid intercept mission in a science save and got no science, so I gave myself some science through the debug menu.

TBH I use this a lot, to fix things that "should" happen. If I do something cool I might give some rep (although I have literally never needed rep at all) or if I crash a NERVA I might subtract 100k funds and some rep, or in your case that's a good idea. But really what I use it for is hiring astronauts. I should not have to spend a million funds to hire an astronaut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I should not have to spend a million funds to hire an astronaut.

That's actually a good point.   You'd imagine, after getting your complex up to level 3, that they'd have figured out the infrastructure to recruit and hire a new kerbal.  The 'diminishing returns' for each new kerbal should be smaller each one, until it becomes a fixed cost.   Not saying it should be cheap, but the cost difference of hiring your 4th and 5th kerbals should be less than your 24th and 25th. 

Edited by Gargamel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

That's actually a good point.   You'd imagine, after getting your complex up to level 3, that they'd have figured out the infrastructure to recruit and hire a new kerbal.  The 'diminishing returns' for each new kerbal should be smaller each one, until it becomes a fixed cost.   Not saying it should be cheap, but the cost difference of hiring your 4th and 5th kerbals should be less than your 24th and 25th. 

The particular career I'm doing this for involves an aspirational goal of crewed bases and stations on every world and an abundance of alternate crews. Even if we assume 4 per base, 14 worlds, 3 worlds with just stations, and nothing else, that's 31 bases/stations, meaning 124 Kerbals. RIP framerate, but still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Gargamel said:
On 9/23/2018 at 3:26 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

I should not have to spend a million funds to hire an astronaut.

That's actually a good point.   You'd imagine, after getting your complex up to level 3, that they'd have figured out the infrastructure to recruit and hire a new kerbal.  The 'diminishing returns' for each new kerbal should be smaller each one, until it becomes a fixed cost.   Not saying it should be cheap, but the cost difference of hiring your 4th and 5th kerbals should be less than your 24th and 25th.  

In 2015 the cost to train a UK astronaut was 16M pounds or ~$21M US dollars. This is roughly the cost of an RD-180 or RL-10 engine. From this we could come up with the cost for a Kerbal.

I guess the balancing factor though is the crew member's value to the program. In RL the loss of an astronaut is huge due to factors way beyond their training cost. Making Kerbals really expensive could be a balancing factor since the loss of a Kerbal isn't that big of a deal from a game perspective.

Edited by Tyko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tyko said:

In 2015 the cost to train a UK astronaut was 16M pounds or ~$21M US dollars. This is roughly the cost of an RD-180 or RL-10 engine. From this could can come up with the cost for a Kerbal.

 I guess the balancing factor though is the crew member's value to the program. In RL the loss of an astronaut is huge do to factors way beyond their training cost. Making Kerbals really expensive could be a balancing factor since the loss of a Kerbal isn't that big of a deal from a game perspective.

A good point. But I'm at the point where one Kerbal costs more than my 5 module Mun base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

A good point. But I'm at the point where one Kerbal costs more than my 5 module Mun base.

Oh yea...I'm not arguing for crazy high costs... was just trying to reason through why it may be the way it is.

Custom Barn Kit gives you the ability to modify crew costs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems plausible to me that a combo variant of the "Oh, you've got a base Y?  Add/do X to it!" and "recover lost part X" contracts could be used.

"Hey, that asteroid you've clawed?  We want it recovered.  There's science and rep in it for you if you do!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, suicidejunkie said:

It seems plausible to me that a combo variant of the "Oh, you've got a base Y?  Add/do X to it!" and "recover lost part X" contracts could be used.

"Hey, that asteroid you've clawed?  We want it recovered.  There's science and rep in it for you if you do!"

Yea, if you're playing Career I'd imagine that would work quite well...a modder could probably write up a mission pack pretty easily. We'd still need a solution for Science mode though.

Are there biome definitions for "near asteroid" and "clawed to asteroid"??? If so, you could add these biomes to any science experiment

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.