Do you play with the Expansion "Making History" ?

Jacke

Do you play with the Expansion "Making History" ?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play with the Expansion "Making History" ?

• I'm playing KSP 1.4.0 or an older version and don't own the Expansion
    • I'm playing KSP 1.4.0 or an older version but do own the Expansion
    • I'm playing KSP 1.4.1 or a newer version but don't own the Expansion
    • I'm playing KSP 1.4.1 or a newer version and own the Expansion, but have installed KSP without the Expansion
    • I'm playing KSP 1.4.1 or a newer version with the Expansion installed, but I avoid using the Expansion parts
    • I'm playing KSP 1.4.1 or a newer version and using the Expansion parts
    • I'm playing KSP 1.4.1 or a newer version and using the Expansion parts as well as the Alternate Launch Sites at the Island Airfield, Woomerang, and the Dessert Complex
    • I'm playing KSP 1.4.1 or a newer version with the Expansion installed and also play Expansion Missions
    • I'm playing KSP 1.4.1 or a newer version with the Expansion installed and also create Expansion Missions
    • I'm playing KSP 1.4.1 or a newer version with the Expansion installed and using the Mission Builder like HyperEdit for direct testing and play away from the launch sites

6 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

If nothing else, the Mission Builder is the best hyper-edit tool out there--it is far, far more versatile than the mod and much simpler to use because you simply place a craft on a map: you do not need to enter in coordinates (though you can do that as well).  It's like a solar system sandbox mode.  Being someone who likes to build planes (and just starting on Rovers) I love the ability to shoot to the surface (or orbit) or bottom of the seam (you can select your craft placement on the surface or bottom of any body of water) of any planet and test out a design.

I should really, really dive into that, the learning curve is holding me back.

I'll force myself to give it more attention in the coming days . . .

9 hours ago, Triop said:

I'll force myself to give it more attention in the coming days . . .

I'm in the same boat.  But worse.  The last KSP I played was 1.3.0.  For a little bit.  A crazy rocket sled and some aircraft: https://imgur.com/a/nSWAr

The last KSP I played a lot was 1.0.4.  There's a lot of changes I've got to get familiar with.

8 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

With Mission Builder you could easily set up rover rallies on any planet or moon.

That would be so cool!

13 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Have it, rarely use it. The parts don't really do much for me. I'm not a fan of how they're balanced. I do sometimes use the thrust plates, which need to be stock, but that's mainly because... well, they need to be stock. They allow clustered engines.

I agree, the thrust plates should have been base stock.  And the other parts....  Maybe Squad thought they needed the Expansion-only parts and alternate launch sites as the immediate hook to have enough people get the Expansion.  I among others got the Expansion because I love KSP and wanted to give that support to Squad.  Maybe the parts and the alternates will be base stock eventually.

Edited by Jacke

9 hours ago, Triop said:

6 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I'm in the same boat.  But worse.  The last KSP I played was 1.3.0. 

For Making actual missions, yes there is a bit to learn, but for just doing basic ship placement as I stated above, it is a only a few minutes of time to learn it. It's really easy. You can get an idea from the video I posted above.

I didn't select the option for making missions, but I do make VERY simple missions: I use the mission builder to place launch sites on other worlds to test craft as @Klapaucius mentioned doing.

I use the new parts, but I generally don't use the Skiff and Wolfhound, as I consider them OP'd. I don't use the Kodiak and the bobcat for the opposite reason. The cheetah is well balanced IMO, the mastadon is OK, but a bit too much like a slightly different (and better looking) mainsail. I like the thrust plates and structural tubes.

So far, I haven't found much use for the retractable rover wheels though- I would have liked a bigger version of them that would also result in a larger change in height.

The alternate launch sites are cool, but I still havent verified in career if recovering at the dessert airfield gets one 100% recovery (I imagine that it would, I know it used to work at the old KSC2 launchsite, before it was actually a functional launchsite)... but I really want to confirm that. That would be pretty convenient for spaceplane recovery. I think they missed an opportunity to allow construction of these facilities in career (as opposed to just on/off at the start)

26 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

I didn't select the option for making missions, but I do make VERY simple missions: I use the mission builder to place launch sites on other worlds to test craft as @Klapaucius mentioned doing.

With @Klapaucius and @KerikBalm using the Mission Builder in ways that are very interesting and cool, i've decided to add a tenth option:

I'm playing KSP 1.4.1 or a newer version with the Expansion installed and using the Mission Builder like HyperEdit for direct testing and play away from the launch sites

26 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

I use the new parts, but I generally don't use the Skiff and Wolfhound, as I consider them OP'd. I don't use the Kodiak and the bobcat for the opposite reason. The cheetah is well balanced IMO, the mastadon is OK, but a bit too much like a slightly different (and better looking) mainsail. I like the thrust plates and structural tubes.

So far, I haven't found much use for the retractable rover wheels though- I would have liked a bigger version of them that would also result in a larger change in height.

The alternate launch sites are cool, but I still havent verified in career if recovering at the dessert airfield gets one 100% recovery (I imagine that it would, I know it used to work at the old KSC2 launchsite, before it was actually a functional launchsite)... but I really want to confirm that. That would be pretty convenient for spaceplane recovery. I think they missed an opportunity to allow construction of these facilities in career (as opposed to just on/off at the start)

Thanks for the feedback, KerikBalm.  Helps me get a better idea of the nature of the Expansion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.