LT-2 Landing Struts keep blowing up on land-base docking

I want to build a base, that consists of multiple parts. Always a tricky business, so I figured out a "standardized" way to make sure all docking ports are at the same height.

BXtP233.jpg

I use the Mk1 (1.25 m) wide parts, and put the LT-2 Struts on them. Those always snap to the exact same position, so those tubular parts of the station are then always at the same height.

In the picture above, the docking port is not yet connected. But once I lower the Struts of the section on the left, it will.

The first unforeseen problem is: The whole structure jumps into the air as soon as the docking ports dock. KSP probably recalculates the force on each LT-2 strut. But it's quite a violent jump! On Minmus a jump with the same force would jump quite high, potentially giving the whole structure time to rotate as well.

ZM66Swt.jpg

The real problem occurs after the base landed again. Both parts were now docked and stable, but I want to remove the little cart that is designed to move parts of the base around. It's hanging free off the junior docking port, very close to the ground (so close that a fall shouldn't break anything). The first part was placed that way: the cart decoupled and drove off. (It's still in the background - a little bit upside down due to some frivolous driving).

So, you' d expect the little cart to fall to the ground, and to be able to drive off. However, instead, all 8 LT-2 Struts blow up, the whole base flies around a bit, and the base finally crashes onto the cart which is now stuck underneath. It is quite a reproducible problem too. It occurred multiple times.

bwYONB5.jpg

Is this considered a bug? I really cannot see what I am doing wrong. Any tips would be appreciated.

p.s. Skipping the struts, and just leaving all the base parts on wheels is NOT an option. It's a base, not a vehicle. :)

Edited by Magzimum

The bug-tracker entry 19343 is still open.  The behavior on the example craft there is much better with version 1.4.5 (just a 1/2-meter jump even when full) than when the bug was reported with version 1.4.4 (landing legs destroyed with half-full tanks).

Even the improved behavior is not smooth enough for the landing-leg method of constructing surface bases that we designed in version 1.3.1 (but version 1.3.1 is still available)

Edited by OHara

On 9/23/2018 at 6:34 PM, bewing said:

This looks like a bug that was fixed in a previous KSP version. Are you perhaps using something like version 1.4.2? I see you have mods, but if you can update to a more recent version, that bug should be fixed.

I am on 1.4.5. The only mod is KER (an old version though, but I that shouldn' t affect this issue, I think?).

QOjXEIG.png

Btw, sorry for a late reply. Haevn' t had time to play for a couple of days.

1 hour ago, Magzimum said:

I am on 1.4.5. The only mod is KER (an old version though, but I that shouldn' t affect this issue, I think?).

QOjXEIG.png

Btw, sorry for a late reply. Haevn' t had time to play for a couple of days.

OK, I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.