Race to the north pole and back

l0kki

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time for a race to the north pole and back!

Objectives:

-Build a vehicle that can go to the north pole and back (you can land anywhere on the north pole

-Plant a flag on the north pole

-Fly to the north pole and back and time it (use screenshots for proof)

Since this flipping forum wont let me upload images You can go look at my run for an example here https://imgur.com/a/U8VMbLb (my time was 00:27:11)

Rules:

Spoiler

-No cheats or f12 menu

-No modded parts 

-No going higher than the karman line (70km high)

-Your vehicle has to be able to work after returning from the north pole

-You have to take off from the KSC runway

-You must land reasonably close to the KSC runway

Scoreboard

1. @zolotiyeruki

Time: 00:20:59

2. @Dark Lion

Time 00:26:16

3. @valens

Time: 00:30:07

4. @TheFlyingKerman

Time: 00:35:34

5. @Triop

Time: 01:01:57

6. @Klapaucius

Time: 01:04:55

Run #2: 00:24:11

Edited by l0kki

12 hours ago, l0kki said:

-No going higher than the karman line (100km high)

Wait, 100 km? Not 70 km? So we're actually allowed to go temporarily into LKO, as long as we stay below 100 km ASL?

(Never mind that, going by the original definition, Kerbin's Kármán line would probably be somewhere closer to 40 km or so. I haven't actually done the math, and in any case the original formula involves a couple of somewhat fuzzy factors that basically depend on the aerodynamic characteristics of the hypothetical vehicle being considered, but both the slightly lower atmospheric scale height and the significantly smaller radius would tend to push Kerbin's Kármán line lower than Earth's.)

5 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Are you okay with me flying a plane ahead of my entry to mark the pole or is the navigation part of the challenge?

I would hope that's OK, especially if informational mods like KER (which can display a predicted landing spot marker and its coordinates, among other things) are also allowed.

2 minutes ago, vyznev said:

I would hope that's OK, especially if informational mods like KER (which can display a predicted landing spot marker and its coordinates, among other things) are also allowed.

I really need to do a proper tutorial on KER.  I did not know that was part of it. I've had it for a while but don 't make enough use of it.

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

I really need to do a proper tutorial on KER.  I did not know that was part of it. I've had it for a while but don 't make enough use of it.

To be fair, it was only added quite recently. (MechJeb's had a similar feature for longer, though.)

Are you okay with me flying a plane ahead of my entry to mark the pole or is the navigation part of the challenge?

Not really needed: when you load your plane on the runway, just open the stock debug menu (Alt-F12), Console, and enter "/waypoint Kerbin 73.0 -80.0 NorthIceShelf" to create a waypoint at the closest edge of the Northern Ice Shelf (which is what I think OP means with 'North Pole', considering their own entry). Or use 90.0 -74.25 if you want it to be the actual NP due exactly north from the end of the KSC Runway.

Then rightclick it to 'Activate navigation', and you're all set to go. See screenshot:

Spoiler

P16AKDD.png

1 hour ago, vyznev said:

Wait, 100 km? Not 70 km? So we're actually allowed to go temporarily into LKO, as long as we stay below 100 km ASL?

Yeah i mixed it up with the real karman line, gonna fix it

1 hour ago, vyznev said:

Only modded parts or mods that edit parts arent allowed but you can use informational mods like KER as you wish

Yes thats okay

7 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Not really needed: when you load your plane on the runway, just open the stock debug menu (Alt-F12), Console, and enter "/waypoint Kerbin 73.0 -80.0 NorthIceShelf" to create a waypoint at the closest edge of the Northern Ice Shelf (which is what I think OP means with 'North Pole', considering their own entry). Or use 90.0 -74.25 if you want it to be the actual NP due exactly north from the end of the KSC Runway.

Then rightclick it to 'Activate navigation', and you're all set to go. See screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

P16AKDD.png

I have the menu open and have toggled all the folders but I don't see anywhere to input this data.

Ugh. I had a great flight in but a mixture of bugs and early morning pilot error killed my time.  I used Mission Builder to place Bobford Kerbin at the pole, and then Jeb, Bill and Bob came to pick him up.

I overshot the pole.

I lost 8 minutes while trying to get crew transferred and having the game lock up on me.

More significantly, I stupidly flew off at a heading of 180 degrees not thinking that from the North Pole, all headings are 180 degrees and was on my way to the Dessert Airfield, so I added a lot of extra distance making up for that.  I came for a landing running on fumes.

Still, I managed 1:04:55. but I think I can shave 20 minutes off that!

Spoiler

bn9pGhH.png

e0M9oD6.png

mKMcGeB.png

6NbFnNZ.png

sVzJ5Zp.png

ZBxc47V.png

uGab8Nn.png

8w6Xdvm.png

Edited by Klapaucius

32 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Ugh. I had a great flight in but a mixture of bugs and early morning pilot error killed my time.  I used Mission Builder to place Bobford Kerbin at the pole, and then Jeb, Bill and Bob came to pick him up.

I overshot the pole.

I lost 8 minutes because trying to get crew transferred and having the game lock up on me.

More significantly, I stupidly flew off at a heading of 180 degrees not thinking that from the North Pole, all headings are 180 degrees and was on my way to the Dessert Airfield, so I added a lot of extra distance making up for that.  I came in fumes.

Still, I managed 1:04:55. but I think I can shave 20 minutes off that!

You need to pray to kraken so that the next time wont be as buggy so you can shave that time off

Edited by l0kki

I have the menu open and have toggled all the folders but I don't see anywhere to input this data.

It's the top one, 'Console'. The command line field is at the very bottom, where it says 'Enter command' in almost invisible grey, with the 'Submit' button on the right of it.

23 min is a very nice time, around the ballpark I had figured this might go.

2 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

the ones I got should prove I made it there and back

You forgot to include a rather crucial one though: the planting the flag one.

1 hour ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

A causal flight with my Panther contract survey plane. 35:30

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot123.png

screenshot124.png

screenshot130.png

screenshot131.png

screenshot132.png

Very nice time! Btw you should check your time from the screenshots because the time you listed is off by FOUR SECONDS OFF!!!!111!!
No worry i put the correct time in, just check the screenshots so you wont get it wrong the next time

Edited by l0kki

1 hour ago, valens said:

There and back again in 30:07, thanks to RAPIERs and a J-22-esque plane.

Three mods were used, though the plane itself is completely stock : KER, Waypoint Manager and Atmosphere Autopilot.

Reveal hidden contents

PpMf4JI.png

yVhMDxx.png

xxJDtCZ.png

GrSvwiA.png

ADOnomF.png

Well done! Were slowly getting closer to less than half a hour times!

Run #2.  

If I read the other posts correctly, I only needed to go to the ice shelf and not the actual pole, so that is what I did.  I had two passengers, so I let Jebediah plant the flag, and Bill flew back without him (mainly I did this because I forgot to put a ladder on the plane). If this is not kosher, I'll take a penalty.

Nevertheless, I never thought I could get an seratonin rush from a challenge (I'm a whitewater kayaker, so usually I am outdoors when that happens).  I generally stink at hitting runways, and I managed to get it down on target. Wahoo!

Anyway,  24:11

Spoiler

Pi9e8zQ.png

ElBCKAY.png

xlZsAwX.png

5RGcV3P.png

Khrhupt.png

u5ZhPUK.png

Z093jmY.png

DnTQqoA.png

9Ju8oWQ.png

CwQsMpM.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.