Unity analytics won't opt out?!

Arugela

I just opened the game in the first time in a long time and got the go to privacy page thing. I went there and it had a screen that says I can get my data or opt out. I clicked the square and hit opt out and it did not do anything. I then later hit the get my data and it said wait 24 hours and come back?! Anyone have any idea how this works or what it is doing. I always opt out of all data collection.

I'm assuming this is the same as the old button to not collect data about the game. Where did that button go and why did they have to remove it also?

https://dataoptout-ui-prd.uca.cloud.unity3d.com/?token=t9v0cguhou9b7ar9pehke38ch9lvuveuj800mk4nfa2j5tp8

Will the game stop working if this is opted out. I personally hate the type of stuff on handheld devices.

Also, why can't it be undone? And is there anything bad with me posting that link above?

Edited by Arugela

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, jwenting said:

Yeah, seeing that crap pop up I'm probably going to stick with 1.4.5 permanently, unless a version of KSP is released that doesn't spy on you.

Severely disappointed by this, anyone over there in Mexico ever heard of GDPR?

1. This is Unity thing, not Squad.

2. GDPR is about personal data privacy, this is use metrics without any personal data.

Wrong, they collect personal data in the form of ip addresses, user names, and who knows what else gleened from the system registry.

They clearly state so. And it doesn't matter one iota whether it's unity or KSP. It's the supplier's responsibility to comply. They are the ones choosing to use this spyware as part of their product.

It's in settings.cfg and it's just as easy to change as it ever was. Same old Unity analytics the game has been asking you about since forever. It doesn't pop up anymore because you prolly already told it what you wanted and told it not to pop up anymore.

SHOW_ANALYTICS_DIALOG = False
SHOW_WHATSNEW_DIALOG = False
SHOW_WHATSNEW_DIALOG_VersionsShown = 1.5.0
CALL_HOME_PROMPT = False
DONT_SEND_IP = False
SEND_PROGRESS_DATA = False

[snip] It's GDPR compliant, Unity is a huge company, you don't think there are a dozen lawyers who get paid more money than you've ever seen in one place to be on top of this stuff?

https://unity3d.com/legal/gdpr

Edited by Vanamonde

11 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

It's in settings.cfg and it's just as easy to change as it ever was. Same old Unity analytics the game has been asking you about since forever. It doesn't pop up anymore because you prolly already told it what you wanted and told it not to pop up anymore.

SHOW_ANALYTICS_DIALOG = False
SHOW_WHATSNEW_DIALOG = False
SHOW_WHATSNEW_DIALOG_VersionsShown = 1.5.0
CALL_HOME_PROMPT = False
DONT_SEND_IP = False
SEND_PROGRESS_DATA = False

[snip] It's GDPR compliant, Unity is a huge company, you don't think there are a dozen lawyers who get paid more money than you've ever seen in one place to be on top of this stuff?

https://unity3d.com/legal/gdpr

You shouldn't have to go into the .cfg to switch a flag that has a button.  As for whether Unity might break GDPR, half the reason big companies have all those lawyers is to stay out of trouble.  The other half is for when they get into it anyway, and it happens all the time.  Usually it's user forums where problems like this one are discovered.  A good company will read about and fix the problem before the media does.

Edited by Vanamonde

10 hours ago, Duxwing said:

You shouldn't have to go into the .cfg to switch a flag that has a button.

You don't have to.

See the line that says "SHOW_ANALYTICS_DIALOG?"

It's False because I told the thing to stop popping up long ago, First time players should still see it until they click the "Don't show this again" box afaik.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Out of curiosity, does deleting the KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Analytics.dll file from the game make the spyware go away?

Or is it baked into some other dll or the KSP_x64.exe?

Not that i really care since i have 3 firewalls all set to block KSP and if someone is that desperate to get something past 3 firewalls they can bloody have it (not that i do anything illegal or questionable but thats beside the point, i still care about privacy).  Just wondering what part of the KSP game actually does the telemetry stuff, since im pretty damn sure blocking KSP from network access gets that done in the 1st place, but if its as simple as deleting a dll from the KSP game directory then alot of people can rest easy knowing there is no spyware in teh game by deleting it...

I just reset it and tried again. There is no in game button to turn it off. It sends you to the unity web page. It showed my now collected info. I select the button on the bottom saying it cannot be undone. I then hit opt out. It does nothing. The page does not allow you to opt out. Something needs to be done about this.

And what does this mean?

DONT_SEND_IP = False

Edited by Arugela

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 7:00 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

It never asked me, EVER, in all the years I've been playing KSP, until 1.5.0...

1 hour ago, jwenting said:

It never asked me, EVER, in all the years I've been playing KSP, until 1.5.0...

Then use the .cfg to change it.

Do you want a solution or do you just want to complain?

On 10/21/2018 at 8:06 PM, Arugela said:

DONT_SEND_IP = False

If DONT_SEND_IP is False than it will send your IP. If it's True, it won't. It's really not that complicated, although the syntax certainly could have been clearer.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

5 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

It's really not that complicated, although the syntax certainly could have been clearer.

I would argue that is kind of complicated, since the variable name says DONT, but if it is true, it does.   Considering the rest of the variables are all positives, and this one is written as a negative, yet in your example above, it needs to be set for the Boolean False for it not to do something, it is very counter intuitive. 

33 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I would argue that is kind of complicated, since the variable name says DONT, but if it is true, it does.   Considering the rest of the variables are all positives, and this one is written as a negative, yet in your example above, it needs to be set for the Boolean False for it not to do something, it is very counter intuitive. 

Hmm..I think we're possibly confusing each other, as I understand it: DONT_SEND_IP=False means I'm allowing them to have my IP. Perhaps that was a bit confusing as it may have looked like those were the settings I was suggesting for privacy. I just copy pasted my own settings though.

Unless it is the other way around, and then I'm really confused lol.

To be fair though, it's not like these .cfg files were ever written with the intent of the end user reading them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.