The only thing I can't figure out about KSP

JezzaFromTheDirtySouth

So this might seem obvious to some people, and believe me, I did search the forums before posting.

Okay, onto the problem I'm having with Ksp. My computer specs are i7-8086k, 16gb 4133mhz trident, strix 1080ti 11g oc, 2tb m.2 970 evo & 1tb m.2 970 evo, Pg279q 144hz g-sync monitor. So I've tried looking through the settings and the menus in game, even tried turning the power off for the suggested 19 ¼ seconds and editing the registry keys, but nowhere can I find how to stop playing Ksp and get a job.

Edited by JezzaFromTheDirtySouth
Swype keyboard errors.

2 hours ago, JezzaFromTheDirtySouth said:

So this might seem obvious to some people, and belive me, I did search the forms before posting.

Okay, onto the problem I'm having with Ksp. My computer specs are i7-8086k, 16gb 4133mhz trident, strix 1080ti 11g oc, 2tb m.2 970 evo & 1tb m.2 970 evo, Pg279q 144hz g-sync monitor. So I've tried looking through the settings and the menus in game, even tried turning the power off for the suggested 19 ¼ seconds and editing the registry keys, but nowhere can I find how to stop playing Ksp and get a job.

This is the greatest thing I've read in a long time.  Nice intro.  Welcome and well done!

A few suggestions as fixes to your problem.

• Axe - well placed slamming of this surgical implement into the PC should do the trick. Drawbacks - 1. It can affect the function of other programs. 2. You need to buy an axe.
  • Mods - Install ALL of the mods (any you can find, even if they are not compatible with you KSP build). This will slow your experience of KSP to a crawl, assuming that it loads. Drawbacks - 1. Considerable time required to implement (those pesky mods don't find and download themselves). 2. Can affect operation of other programs (they tend not to like a full drive).
  • Divine inspiration - Burn some offerings to the Kraken. Drawbacks - 1. May cause some parts of you accommodation to function incorrectly, depending on how well they respond to fire. 2. The Kraken is a finicky deity and is very particular about the correct balance of desire and burnt offering. This can result in the revenge of the Kraken in the case of bad balancing, which is something to be avoided.
Edited by purpleivan

I did. I assume that you paid for yours too, well.. unless you stole it of course.. which I guess isn't completely out of the question. I mean there must be some people playing KSP on stolen computers, just a very low percentage. It would take much longer to steal a computer though, like a TV you can just look at and see what you're getting, but a computer you'd have to open up and take a look at all the components just to make sure it's actually worth stealing. (and don't suggest turning it on and running dxdiag, thieves aren't that smart)  but yes, just something to keep in mind next time you see somebody stealing a computer..

Errr... Welcome! Your`e now one of us. (Evil grin)

I have 3000 hours logged in on steam. And estimated 2000 hours offline.

I have still many things to do in KSP. (Eve, Moho, Tylo, Vall, Eelo, yeah...and some other...) 

Tomorrow i go buy an axe.

:D

6 minutes ago, Aeroboi said:

You got the 8086K? I only have the 8700K :mad:

Time to get a new job...

It's funny how the rest of your hardware is almost identical to mine, although my ram isn't clocked that high :sticktongue:

I'll be picking up a 8700k soon. My FX-8350 is archaic and dosen't handle X-plane well. :D

On 9/27/2018 at 1:33 AM, JezzaFromTheDirtySouth said:

but nowhere can I find how to stop playing Ksp and get a job.

There's a reason the game makes you confirm FIVE (5!) times before actually letting you go...

(Esc... Space Center. Esc... Quit to Main Menu... Esc... Quit. YES, AFTER FIVE TIMES, I AM PRETTY SURE I A... oh darn it, almost forgot I had another maneuver node coming. Maybe not quite yet then.)

Edited by swjr-swis

16 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

There's a reason the game makes you confirm FIVE (5!) times before actually letting you go...

(Esc... Space Center. Esc... Quit to Main Menu... Esc... Quit. YES, AFTER FIVE TIMES, I AM PRETTY SURE I A... oh darn it, almost forgot I had another maneuver node coming. Maybe not quite yet then.)

Or you could just task switch and click the X.

15 minutes ago, Aeroboi said:

I play X-plane and I can confess it runs beautifully. Many nautical miles distanced from a FX-8350. Glad you make this upgrade.

I kept upgrading graphics cards and only realized while looking at some CPU benchmarks recently how heavily X-Plane depends on the CPU. I've been lucky to get 30FPS on three monitors with the res dropped to 1600x900 each. It's even worse on VR. There forum has been pretty dead recently and that makes me sad. :( Kinda feels like flight sims are dying.

Just gotta wait on a few paychecks.

Edited by SpaceMouse

44 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I bought a KSP-capable laptop so I could just play at work.

.... this game has become the most expensive $40 I ever spent.

Oh, I only spent $5 on KSP as a pre-release on Steam. Don't know how much I paid for it through the KSP store... But I just did my second "work" related computer upgrade...

A lot of games these days seem to be limited by CPU, take Arma as another example, you'd almost need to double the clock speeds to get it run smoothly at 144fps 1440p on ultra. In the busiest areas I'm getting down to 55 frames.

KSP on the other hand, I've seen 20 fps launching some utterly massive rockets while the 1080ti sits there doing nothing (42°c and fans stopped)

Wonder if anyone makes a dual socket LGA1151 mobo with a Z370 chipset..

Also, I'm sure that ksp could be optimized to make use of the tensor cores in the new RTX2080ti. Though I personally wouldn't buy any of the new release cards, I'll wait till the triple fan oc versions come out and maybe not even then, there was something fishy about them releasing standard and ti versions at the same time. And I can't see them holding those release models until the next generation, they need to make money, which the ti versions did when released later on. So we could see something like an RTX2085, it's not like they haven't pulled a stunt like that before, and from a buyers perspective, I don't really want to be spending 2 grand on a card just to have nvidia turn around and release a better one in 8 months time.

As for me, it's time to stop building rockets and start building cities.

15 hours ago, JezzaFromTheDirtySouth said:

there was something fishy about them releasing standard and ti versions at the same time.

The 'something fishy' is just the usual thing all chip manufacturers have been doing for years now: since the chip-baking process yields a significant number of chips with defects, they sell the ones that come out with less defects and work up to a higher factory stress level as 'improved' versions, and the rest as 'standard' versions with a number of cores/cells disabled.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:44 PM, Aeroboi said:

I wonder if somewhere along the line, an engineer with a touch of nostalgia, made this a joke.     I think I would would double check the processor I was buying if it was labelled 8086.

EDIT:   Hmm interesting.   I was kinda right:

The 8086 gave rise to the x86 architecture, which eventually became Intel's most successful line of processors. On June 5th 2018, Intel released a limited edition CPU celebrating the anniversary of the Intel 8086, called the Intel Core i7-8086K.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_8086

Edited by Gargamel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.