Propellers Please?

There is a subcommunity in KSP of people who have gone to extreme lengths to make prop planes and helicopters a thing in this game. they're pretty buggy due to the kraken, but they're some of the most innovative designs. propellers are components of some of the coolest projects anyone ever did in KSP, becoming parts of things like helicarriers - but the problem is that these great constructions are rather inefficient, in that each helicarrier propeller engine on the build i saw weighed like 150 tons.

rather than forcing them to continue making bearings in the current way that requires high part count and decoupling from the body of the ship, i think a new part should be added so that making spinning objects is more accessible to everyone, as well as less buggy and laggy

similarly i think there should be some better ways of powering a bearing than are currently available. right now there are three options, landing gear which was broken for this type of use when suspension was added, reaction wheels which require control from the propeller, and jets which lag the game with smoke trails.  so to make this easier there should be bearing wheels that are designed to snap with their wheel part to connect physically with a bearing so they won't bug out. there should be a reaction wheel based option and a turbojet powered option too - as well as an exhaust part which moves the exhaust dust from engines somewhere that makes more sense.

also since there are only limited elevons and things that are really used for propellers, there should be some specific propeller designs added.

tl;dr parts:

bearing 0.65m - the bearings spin independently of the vessel, but remain part of the vessel.

bearing 1.25m

bearing 2.5m

bearing 90 degrees - for when you feel like applying thrust at 90 degrees is a good idea

bearing wheel (powered) - designed to spin a bearing and snap to it properly for spinning it

bearing turbojet - designed to turbocharge a propeller engine by shooting jets at it. appears like the 2.5m reaction wheel with jets inside it.

bearing reaction wheels - designed to apply a balanced amount of thrust in only one direction, disallowing tri-axial reaction wheel movement (XYZ translation is 3x as fast as X translation with reaction wheels)

propellers - easier parts to replace the use of control surfaces, wings or elevons 

jet exhaust - merges jet exhausts into a bloc so you don't end up with a lot of smoke lag from many engines

Edited by aruoch

3 hours ago, SlinkyMcman said:

Good news we're at the very least going to get a .625  rotor in the next expansion, in 2 weeks! Hype Copter! 

-snip-

So many common requests are gonna be craftable with robotics, I have all the stoke.

yeah i have a bunch of stuff i want to make with robotics. like for one thing a concorde style nose for delta wing craft

Edited by sumghai
Snipped large image from quote

11 hours ago, aruoch said:

they're pretty buggy due to the kraken,

Hmmm if they're well built no they aren't. Unstable and brekable yes, but not buggy. I have a helicopter I flew with for more than 40 minutes (ingame time, irl it was 1 or 2 hours) and was pretty stable (in that version).

I dont have to rely on a specific exploit to make sure they work, just good kraken engineering.

15 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Hmmm if they're well built no they aren't. Unstable and brekable yes, but not buggy. I have a helicopter I flew with for more than 40 minutes (ingame time, irl it was 1 or 2 hours) and was pretty stable (in that version).

I dont have to rely on a specific exploit to make sure they work, just good kraken engineering.

even if you go to the trouble of assembling it perfectly you cant timewarp without turning it off and attaching a grabber to it

1 minute ago, aruoch said:

even if you go to the trouble of assembling it perfectly you cant timewarp without turning it off and attaching a grabber to it

I mean... you're not wrong. But thats just the side effect of how you have to build things.

Just now, qzgy said:

I mean... you're not wrong. But thats just the side effect of how you have to build things.

also framerate stuttering breaks them. so that's why they should be a part not multiple parts aside from performance improvement (game performance) 

On 9/27/2018 at 6:46 AM, sumghai said:

All of the examples listed are conceptual and/or abandoned designs of esoteric applications, so I feel it's a bit too much of a stretch to include propellers as stock parts.

So are propellers on Mars more or less esoteric than drilling an asteroid for fuel?

Edit: oops I fell for a tricksy necromancer. Well done.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

So are propellers on Mars more or less esoteric than drilling an asteroid for fuel?

the uses ive seen stratzenblitz employ them for are way beyond that, this thread was merged into one about propellers