Did anyone spot a completely silent aircraft overhead?

Arugela

I didn't get a picture or anything but has anyone seen a completely silent aircraft flying below cloud level. It had swept back wings and a bit of a triangular nose. Totally silent. I was looking up through a window and saw it. It was flying under heavy clouds.

It didn't quite look like a normal passenger plane. But it looked to be around the same size.

I saw something on NASA quite plane but it's nose it too long.

It was a midway between these two planes:

maxresdefault.jpg

619090main_avc_boeing_concept_original_4

It was definitely near or around passenger plane size. Maybe between 747 and smaller versions and a triangular looking front with some level of swept wings. Totally silent. If I wasn't looking up I would not have seen it. Also couldn't tell if it gave of trails as it was flying below thick clouds(under total cloud cover and no sun.). I think it was heading S or SE.

I think the nose was shorter than the top picture but maybe longer than the bottom picture. Hard to make out details. It was not a normal passenger plane though. The nose either wasn't thin or it had a wing edge making it look triangular on the way forward. And the swept wing was more pronounced from the front. I can't remember how much. Probably by a good 45 degrees or more. It was not a continuous wing edge all the way back. At least not where the wings started to protrude. But it may not have been that steep either.

Edited by Arugela

The clouds are covering the whole sky atm as far as the eye can see. Not sure. It's total coverage above me with no sun. complete forcast.

Although the clouds have finally changed to higher solid with little puffy clouds below. And you can see the sun now through the higher clouds. You could not see the sun at all when it went over.

Edited by Arugela

1 minute ago, Arugela said:

It's total coverage above me with no sun. complete forcast. 

If you're in the higher latitudes they can be quite high, what 15000 ft or so.

If it's rainclouds then you might want to see again which way is it : small, or far away ?

B1 bomber looks a bit like it. But I think the nose was thicker. Hard to remember. It gets so fuzzy so quick. 8\

Although the B-1 does look fatter from the bottom of the nose. Do they normally fly completely silent. I'm used to planes making more noise. Might be from many of them landing at an airport.. There is an airport somewhat near me that does have an air force base attached to it.

Edited by Arugela

Rear of the wing was angled like the front but not the same angle. Not a delta wing.

The more I see the B-1 from the bottom the more it has a potentially similar silhouette. I can't remember what the engine pods or rear looked like... My memory is fantastic for this sort of things. ;)

I was looking at something about the NASA experiment but it was from several years ago. I thought maybe it was flying overhead or something.

Edited by Arugela

1 minute ago, Arugela said:

Rear of the wing was angled like the front but not the same angle.

Maybe a modern jetliner ? They tend to have high cambers.

Do you see it right above you or to the side ? Any known flight path over you ?

it was flying directly overhead almost. Yea it may have been going to a nearby airport. Lots of planes usually go in many direction over me.

This is kind of close to it potentially. It's hard to say.

B1-08.jpg

It was higher up and small. Although the nose may have been fatter and more triangular but not by much. possilby fatter, slightly shorter, front similar proportions. it's could have been a B-1. I was just surprised how quite it was.  The wings would not have been all the way back. But they were not too far forward.

There was a completely silent helicopter one day going overhead too, but we don't like to talk about that. :sticktongue:

Edited by Arugela

I was wrong. It was going SW. (work in progress)

Planes flying in the correct direction:

Boeing 737(767)

Bombardier CRJ

Airbus 

Regional-Jet

MD

Yea it was probably just an ordinary airliner. I was hoping it was something more interesting.

Edited by Arugela

7 hours ago, Green Baron said:

size estimations can be wrong ...

I was thinking it might be an RC, and it just looks like as if it's something much larger much farther away. Would still make for an interesting sight though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.