Do any of you actually use the chat?

Geonovast

I'm curious if any of the regulars around here who spend entirely too much time on the forums, like myself, actually use the chat.  I pop in every once in awhile, there's usually some 200 accounts in there... with no discussion.  Like, ever.

Do any of you use it and actually see real conversation going on?  Maybe I've just got bad timing...

Edited by Geonovast

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I'm curious if any of the regulars around here who spend entirely too much time on the forums, like myself, actually use the chat.  I pop in every once in awhile, there's usually some 200 accounts in there... with no discussion.  Like, ever.

Do any of you use it and actually see real conversation going on?  Maybe I've just got bad timing...

What chat? Seriously, in all my time here, I've never seen a chat. Where is it?

31 minutes ago, kerbalstar said:

What chat? Seriously, in all my time here, I've never seen a chat. Where is it?

In the tabs:
1w2ZiGB.png

Edit: Just tried it and I received an error.

An error has occurred that prevented the client from loading correctly.

More details
Object doesn't support property or method 'endsWith'
Edited by James Kerman
Added edit

I barely am there. I just do not have a lot of free time anymore. I'm working on the novel, writing a course for implementation, Kerny's Journal...

Best way to contact me is to either send me a message through the forum's private messenger, email me...

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

Usually the chat is up when the forums are down... which is were I go to check to see if it's really the forums or just me.

I just have a panic attack and go cry in the corner.

The hell am I supposed to do at work if the forums are down?

I used to frequent the main and modding IRC channels to seek help with modding, but soon found that the chats had devolved to off-topic discussions, and that many mod authors leave themselves logged in for literally months without actually being online.

Therefore I left IRC, and now predominantly use the Add-on Development subforums, where people can actually take the time to come up with helpful responses, and we can publicly document what we've learnt to help other newbie modders (whereas IRC transcripts can all too easily be lost to history).

4 hours ago, sumghai said:

many mod authors leave themselves logged in for literally months without actually being online.

I fully believe this is because of a big technical limitation of IRC that this practice becomes common on many IRC servers.  IRC servers tend not to have a viewable scrollback history of what was said while your client wasn't logged in.  The server's job is to merely distribute the posted lines out to all the currently logged in clients, then forget all about them as soon as it has done so.  All the scrollback history lives in the clients not in the server.

This technical limitation (you have to leave yourself logged in 24/7 if you want a scrollback history of the channel) leads to the problem of being unable to tell who's *actually* there and who isn't.

I wish Squad would finally upgrade themselves past 1997 and use something newer, like Discord or at least Steam, a platform they already utilize! For better instant communication. Other alternatives would permit Squad to actually separate discussions into sections (least on Discord or Steam) and therefore allow multiple conversations. Also permit voice calls, etc, etc, etc. IRC initially made sense in 2013 when KSP (Squad) wasn't really taking the video game side of their operation seriously and just wanted to put something up to appease the masses. However now in 2018 (nearly 2019!), 5-6 years later and with their biggest product owned by T2; such a bandaid solution really doesn't work anymore. Setting up a server on these platforms isn't even really difficult and I'm certain any one member of the community (myself certainly) would be more than happy to help the moderators/admins set up an official spot on these platforms instead of using IRC.

Just my opinion though. Maybe I'm out of touch. So please bare that in mind.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 1:33 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

Tell them that "GIF" is pronounced with a soft G. 

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

And posted truth.

7 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

True that. 

I will not have my thread derailed by such lies.

Yes, we have an IRC channel (#KSPOfficial on irc.esper.net).

Please don't just jump in, say "hi" (or at best ask if you can ask a question), and leave after ~45 seconds. Say something of substance, and understand that it may take a few minutes. We aren't paid tech support, and can't be watching 24/7. Also, if we answered your question, feel free to stay and talk about other KSP (or quasi-related) things?

Other good topics:

- The superiority of the metric system over Imperial measurement. 

- SpaceX vs NASA, because they're totally competitors. 

- The fact that both the USS Intrepid and Kennedy Space Center are better tours for aerospace nerds than the NMUSAF in Dayton. They both have shuttles. 

On 11/23/2018 at 10:28 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

Other good topics:

- The superiority of the metric system over Imperial measurement. 

- SpaceX vs NASA, because they're totally competitors. 

- The fact that both the USS Intrepid and Kennedy Space Center are better tours for aerospace nerds than the NMUSAF in Dayton. They both have shuttles. 

Sounds like some good reasons to actually come around :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.