Transfer-window based "world's first" contracts mod?

jamqdlaty

Hi. I haven't been playing KSP for some time now and I remembered now what irritated me the last time I played. I don't want to force flight to Duna (or other planets, actually I'm using GPP) if the transfer window isn't there. Next transfer to a planet that I currently getting a contract for is far ahead from now and before that there are transfer windows to plenty of other planets. I wouldn't want to warp and waste time, closing KSC for a year just to wait for transfer window to that specific planet and I also wouldn't want to miss contract rewards for other planets that I have transfer window to before the one specified in current contract. 
Maybe there's already some mod for that? If not, I suppose I will just ignore the "world's first" contract for now and earn kerdits on satellites that I don't need and measuring  temperature in sh*tholes. Still I think basing contracts on transfer windows would be good idea for a mod.

I don't think there's sufficient flexibility in the Contract system for it to do what you're suggesting, at least not within Contract Configurator. You'd need to take a lot into consideration, and there's every chance that what's possible with your current tech level may be outdated by the time the contract comes due, but you're still stuck doing it. Just because a transfer is coming up sooner doesn't mean it's a better or more easily attainable destination.

I think you'd be better served by setting up Kerbal Alarm Clock to remind you when the transfer windows are due, and continuing to run other trips for more money/science in the meantime. There's also mods like Astrogator that can help you schedule your transfers and even program the manoeuvres for you.

Most of those "worlds first" contracts have no expiration date, so you're free to wait till the transfer window.

Even interplanetary contracts that do have expiration dates typically give you like 20 something years to do it.

Also, no such thing as "wasting time" really unless you have an urgent contract, just clean up any short term contracts and then warp to your desired window.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.