Apollo 11 Guidance Computer source code

drhay53

1 minute ago, YNM said:

Hang on... I thought they were "hard-coded", as in the coding was done by physical means of weaving the numerous wires ?

What language is it ? Pure machine language binary ?

"This source code has been transcribed or otherwise adapted from digitized images of a hardcopy from the MIT Museum. The digitization was performed by Paul Fjeld, and arranged for by Deborah Douglas of the Museum. Many thanks to both."

Also: https://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/assembly_language_manual.html

13 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

assembly language

Ah, I see.

Didn't know that ! I genuinely thought they had to physically code it by weaving the many many wires, which sounds really odd, but now it's a bit more sensible.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:59 PM, YNM said:

Hang on... I thought they were "hard-coded", as in the coding was done by physical means of weaving the numerous wires ?

What language is it ? Pure machine language binary ?

I doubt it.  When you hear of ROM (from before the 1990s), it typically meant transistors or diodes mean a one, no component means a zero.  The only thing is, unless they were using actual chips (doubtful, memory was "rope memory"), you could produce small/lighter memory using magnetic core (each bit is just a magnetic ring, not a diode).  They might not like this as it wasn't quite as reliable as true "hard coding", but since it could be re-rigged if something else failed (and was strongly reliable on its own), I'd expect that the program was stored on (re-writable) rope memory.

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't be *that* hard to imagine replacing "rope memory" with specific ROMS that only included a magnetic ring on the one and was missing it on the zero.  I really wouldn't expect it to be any cheaper, but they might try it (save what, a few grams?  Worth it in the lander, probably worth it in the command module as well).

49 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't be *that* hard to imagine replacing "rope memory" with specific ROMS that only included a magnetic ring on the one and was missing it on the zero

You nailed it on the head, apparently.

Core rope memory (read-only) :

Apollo_guidiance_computer_ferrit_core_me

Magnetic-core memory (random access) :

KL_CoreMemory.jpg

Edited by YNM

4 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

The program was stored read-only (not re-writeable) rope memory - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_rope_memory.

The wiki doesn't compare mass.  I suspect it isn't much (but *anything* is significant on Apollo command modules and moreso the lander).  It is entirely possible the board it is connected to makes up most of the mass difference (board mass should scale with cubic meter, but is probably less than the mass of the rope).

As far as I can tell, rope is a packaging technology that traded mass for repairability.  It just happened that the only use of rope involved replacing magnetic cores with transformers (for ones only), making it ROM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.