Folding Joints Mod Request

Tonka Crash

I posted this in the Dockrotate thread yesterday and @peteletroll suggested I add the request here as he doesn't do parts.  DockRotate has a NodeRotate module that can be added to any part to make it a rotating joint.  @Psycho_zs made a couple motors that are distributed with DockRotate that implement this module. They work well for rotating a joint, but I'd like some new parts to make a folding joint simpler to build and a little more aesthetically pleasing than what is currently possible.

What's needed are the models, DockRotate already implements everything needed to make them work. No animation is necessary, so it should only take a couple simple parts to implement.

What I envision are simple rounded "L" bracket parts where 2 of them can be used to give you a folding joint.  If DockRotate is present, the joint can be rotated in the game using the NodeRotate module. I envision at least 2 sizes 1.25m and .625m using a circular form factor without Tweakscale support. This would match the sizes Psycho_zs implemented for rotating motors.

I can also see a square base form factor scaled to fit the ends of girders and I-beams would be useful as these are a natural fit to build linkages.

It would also be a bonus if the rotation could be limited to the range of motion the parts should be able to move through. I don't know if this is possible with NodeRotate. Without NodeRotate the parts could still be assembled at a fixed angle in the VAB.

I mocked up a couple parts in the VAB to illustrate what I'm talking about. In each case I made one side of the pivot and copy/pasted to get the matching part, so I would know they were identical. I would use something like this in the game, but these were taking around 50 parts per complete joint where it should only be 2 parts.

Pivot A - Highlighted green would be one part, two of them joined together form the joint. I'm not hung up on the exact shape, color, or other details of the model other than I think it should look stock. All I really care about is functionality. Minimum range of motion without visible clipping should be at least 90 degrees to either side of vertical. When two of the parts are attached to each other the the opposite end nodes should be in line with each other when the joints are at 0 deflection. The nodes that joins the two parts should implement the NodeRotate function and the bottom node would be a normal node, but also allow surface attachment. Applications would be antenna elevation control, flip out RTG strut, etc. Put this joint on a Psycho_zs rotating motor and you have azimuth and elevation pointing capability. 

pKRCfu6.jpg

Pivot B - Highlighted green would be one part. Similar to the previous part, but this goes from inline (0 deg) to folded over parallel (180 deg). The critical dimension is  the offset of the pivot, so that the folded position is parallel without clipping or an excessive gap. Some gap is probably advisable. Applications would include collapsible struts, crane pivots, etc.

yzgoNFv.jpg

This started when I want to do something like this, but keep all the pivots in-line with the girder segment.  This is the ZZZ big radio telescope on one of my stations. Its mounted on a long girder tower. At the top of the girder tower is a motor to control azimuth, between the two white cylinders is a motor for elevation. This was as clean as I could do it in with as few parts as possible. Clipping wasn't an option as it was assembled in orbit with a combination of KIS/KAS and Konstruction ports.  With the antenna offset to one side it introduces some odd torques at the joints that tend to break if the dish is rotated too rapidly.

Edited by Tonka Crash

Infernal Robotics is overkill and way more complicated for a couple of rotating joints. I've been using DockRotate for a while and it implements all the functionality I need, but the part shapes that would make  it easier to use do not exist.

Edited by Tonka Crash

I like that we have three different ways to make parts move. Infernal Robotics is definitely the most complete/complex, AnimatedAttachment is brilliantly simple, DockRotate/NodeRotate stands somewhere in the middle.

NodeRotate should be the simplest one to make new parts for. (I'm biased, of course)

Edited by peteletroll

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.