[1.8.x] ScrapYard - The Common Part Inventory 2.0 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

• 2 weeks later...

(Quote from the old thread)

On 9/18/2018 at 10:15 PM, severedsolo said:

@digorno It's Oh Scrap, and it's working by design.

Oh Scrap blocks parts from being added to the inventory if they haven't been launched, to stop you from just doing "pad/recover/improve stats" ad infinitum and bypassing the point of the mod.

Hello @severedsolo I've been working with DasValdez as he's putting together a collection of mods for a KSP play through and he's run into something that he was hoping you might help him with...

He is using KCT + OhScrap + Scrapyard (plus a bunch of other mods utility mods, no parts mods). He ran into the above interaction (quoted above) and he agrees that the generation part should not be increased, but he was trying to pre-build parts (because of KCT build times) and couldn't put the parts into the inventory to be applied to future vessels.

Do you agree and could you change the interaction so that if you don't fly/launch the parts that they go into the ScrapYards inventory with the original generation instead of the improved generation?

Thanks!

--Kalpar

1 hour ago, Kalpar said:

Do you agree and could you change the interaction so that if you don't fly/launch the parts that they go into the ScrapYards inventory with the original generation instead of the improved generation?

You know what, that sounds like a fair compromise. Will probably need a change to ScrapYard to allow me to interact directly with the inventory, but it should be doable. Leave it with me.

3 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

You know what, that sounds like a fair compromise. Will probably need a change to ScrapYard to allow me to interact directly with the inventory, but it should be doable. Leave it with me.

He's streaming it right now and told me to tell you "Thanks! I really appreciate it!"

--Kalpar

Absolutely loving this, especially once we can "prebuild" parts during KCT production downtime and then inventory them for use on other craft. That's a sweet symbiotic mechanic. 

Will "scrapping" a vessel from the VAB or SPH craft inventory also inventory the parts?Just a time saver, so I don't have to roll my sprue of 6 command pods out to the runway and recover them manually?

I'm also planning to roleplay the generation/launched mechanic a little bit (generation only increases in the part gets an MET, basically). If I deploy the part + a docking port to the pad, pick it up with a truck, take it to a test stand a distance away from the pad, and run it there... I should be able to increase generation as much as I want before using on a mission. It costs a huge amount of time to do this, and given the number of parts you really have to pick and choose what you spend your time on, but at least that way I don't have to superfund cleanup 20 nuclear engines before I can send one to Duna. Potentially need to roleplay balance by only allowing a max gen from the test stand, and real world usage after. @severedsolo, any thoughts on how that fits with the current state of the mod?

On the Scrapyard build editor inventory UI:

1. Displaying the generation in the inventory UI would be fantastic, when it's time to decommission old gen parts, it would help a ton, instead of having to "add to vessel remove from vessel ok make sure you click the right line item". I understand that gen is done via OhScrap, and not always relevant. 
  2. Discard all for an inventory line item. Look, I built lots of tourism rockets, and managing old gen inventory became a massive pain heh.

Again, keep up the fantastic work, and thanks!

1 minute ago, DasValdez said:

Will "scrapping" a vessel from the VAB or SPH craft inventory also inventory the parts?Just a time saver, so I don't have to roll my sprue of 6 command pods out to the runway and recover them manually?

99% certain yes? - that bit is actually handled by KCT, but I'm almost certain that's how it works.

2 minutes ago, DasValdez said:

Displaying the generation in the inventory UI would be fantastic, when it's time to decommission old gen parts, it would help a ton, instead of having to "add to vessel remove from vessel ok make sure you click the right line item". I understand that gen is done via OhScrap, and not always relevant. 

Yes and No, Oh Scrap! actually just queries the generation from ScrapYard, I like the idea of having it in the UI - will add it to the list.

3 minutes ago, DasValdez said:

Discard all for an inventory line item. Look, I built lots of tourism rockets, and managing old gen inventory became a massive pain heh.

You mean "scrap all inventory items of this type" (say, dump all the Mk1 Command Pods)? That's an excellent idea - also added to the list.

51 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

You mean "scrap all inventory items of this type" (say, dump all the Mk1 Command Pods)? That's an excellent idea - also added to the list.

The current UI groups a part inventory by generation and number of uses, so you'll have 3 pods gen 2 + 2 uses, 3 pods with gen 2 + 4 uses, 1 pod with gen 6 + 1 use. A button on each line item, to dump all the gen 2 + 3 uses (right now behavior is to discard a single part in the stack at a time)

On 11/4/2018 at 9:49 PM, severedsolo said:

Ohh -- this means craft actually built & stored with KCT -- then dismantled before launching didn't get put back in inventory? I guess I never tried that as a hack, but I *did* create test gantries, etc. for engines so I could "launch" and run them to get past the initial failure curve. :)

Just now, Beetlecat said:

Ohh -- this means craft actually built & stored with KCT -- then dismantled before launching didn't get put back in inventory? I guess I never tried that as a hack, but I *did* create test gantries, etc. for engines so I could "launch" and run them to get past the initial failure curve. :)

Nah, it was parts put on the pad and not "launched" (or rather, had an engine fire via staging) - so your test rig would have been fine (and it's not a hack, I intended that as a use case)

• 3 weeks later...

Feature request: Would it be possible for parts discarded in the editor SR interface to kick back a tiny salvage/refund amount? Certainly nowhere near an amount to crank out parts to make money, but enough to encourage us to dump out the warehouse of old junk in case the funds are low.

• 2 weeks later...

@Kirona  - for the command pod issue, I'm going to need a minimum amount of mods required to trigger this issue before I can investigate it. I'd start with B9PartSwitcher if you have that installed (just a hunch, I've seen that one cause a few issues with mods recently).

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how this mod works with Procedural Parts (as in being able to reuse them from the inventory and have it deduct cost/time)? I’ve heard it’s working some places and I’ve heard it’s not some others. I would test it but I’m away from my computer right now.

Thanks in advance

5 minutes ago, BobTheRocketeer said:

Does anyone know how this mod works with Procedural Parts (as in being able to reuse them from the inventory and have it deduct cost/time)? I’ve heard it’s working some places and I’ve heard it’s not some others. I would test it but I’m away from my computer right now.

Thanks in advance

There is some VERY rudimentary Procedural Parts support that magico13 added before he left, but it's untested and right now not officially supported.

• 2 months later...

I see this mod is currently listed as 1.5.*, but it's a hard dependency for Oh Scrap, which is listed as 1.6.x. Are there any issues with running it on 1.6?

If not, could you update the version requirements, because currently one cannot install either mod via CKAN on a 1.6 install, without messing with the compatibile versions matrix.

Thanks in advance

12 minutes ago, Marandil said:

I see this mod is currently listed as 1.5.*, but it's a hard dependency for Oh Scrap, which is listed as 1.6.x. Are there any issues with running it on 1.6?

If not, could you update the version requirements, because currently one cannot install either mod via CKAN on a 1.6 install, without messing with the compatibile versions matrix.

Thanks in advance

It works fine in 1.6.x - and it's a fair request, to be honest I've been a bit slack with recompiling this cycle, because none of my mods actually broke in 1.6.

So, I'm not going to bother recompiling this right now, just simply because 1.7 is round the corner (I expect it to drop by the end of the month based on Squads previous communications about their release cycle) - but you aren't the first person to grumble about my lazy updating (I don't mean that as criticism btw).

So, once 1.7 drops I will do a full recompile and update for all of them, rather than letting them just sit as I have been.

Edited by severedsolo

9 hours ago, severedsolo said:

It works fine in 1.6.x - and it's a fair request, to be honest I've been a bit slack with recompiling this cycle, because none of my mods actually broke in 1.6.

Maybe, whenever you get a chance, or when you see someone posts about current version seeming to work with future versions of KSP, just updating the thread *title*, and making a note in the reason for editing the thread, that current version works with x.x.x version of KSP, would be enuff to head off the questions from people who can actually read? ... vOv  I've seen many other mods do this

Just a suggestion... I know you are busy and you *do* have quite a few mods to wrangle ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 weeks later...

With regard to the various talks of NREs/root parts not being returned to the inventory on recovery, i'd like to note that Science Alert Realerted seems to be a culprit that causes it for me. Removing it from either my big mod soup list or just a KCT/SY/Oh Scrap! test build both results in things working fine and me being able to happily reuse my pods/probe cores without having to mess around with having to use something like a parachute as a root part.

Also, i'd like to point out that both the Oh Scrap! OP and the CKAN entry for Scrapyard link to Magicos' Scrapyard thread instead of this one. Took a bit of effort to find.

6 hours ago, ussdefiant said:

'd like to note that Science Alert Realerted seems to be a culprit that causes it for me.

Ah excellent thanks, that gives me a proper use case to test.

Also good catch on the OP etc, will get those updated.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:26 AM, ussdefiant said:

Also, i'd like to point out that both the Oh Scrap! OP and the CKAN entry for Scrapyard link to Magicos' Scrapyard thread instead of this one. Took a bit of effort to find. 

That can be fixed in the metadata on CKAN

On 3/21/2019 at 1:26 PM, ussdefiant said:

With regard to the various talks of NREs/root parts not being returned to the inventory on recovery, i'd like to note that Science Alert Realerted seems to be a culprit that causes it for me. Removing it from either my big mod soup list or just a KCT/SY/Oh Scrap! test build both results in things working fine and me being able to happily reuse my pods/probe cores without having to mess around with having to use something like a parachute as a root part.

Thank you that's really helpful - I'll try throwing SA in there and see if I can reproduce.

Thanks for the heads up about the Oh Scrap! OP too - updated. I'll do a PR to the CKAN guys and get the link updated there.

1 hour ago, aat said:

Is it possible to disable "ScrapYard: is new" etc in the part display window?  

Sorry but no, the only way to turn it off is via code, and I don't want to get rid of it completely (it's useful if you are an OhScrap user for instance)

Well ok, I have to live with it. I'm not using ohscrap, so for me it's just some unnecessary information that clutters each and every part. Maybe consider adding an option to disable it in the future?