[1.8.x] ScrapYard - The Common Part Inventory 2.0 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

1 hour ago, aat said:

Well ok, I have to live with it. I'm not using ohscrap, so for me it's just some unnecessary information that clutters each and every part. Maybe consider adding an option to disable it in the future?

Jeez I'd forget my own head if it wasn't screwed on, I have another mod for exactly this situation. PAWS will do what you want

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

Jeez I'd forget my own head if it wasn't screwed on, I have another mod for exactly this situation. PAWS will do what you want

Thanks! Well, with this I will remove  one entry (the ScrapYard information) but add one as well (the PAWS customization button) :P

Is there a way to view the current inventory of items in the scrap yard? I'd like to clear out some early gen items, but would rather not have to click on things one by one in the VAB.

Also, what do the "Whole-Vessel Quick Options" do? I don't understand what they're meant for.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 11:25 AM, salajander said:

Is there a way to view the current inventory of items in the scrap yard?

Yes: open the 'advanced' tab on the stock part selector and click on the SY icon (IIRC it has a crane painted on). You should see only the parts contained in your inventory  ;)

Edited by gap

11 minutes ago, gap said:

Yes: open the 'advanced' tab on the stock part selector and click on the SY icon (IIRC it has a crane painted on). You should see only the parts contained in your inventory  ;)

wait.... wut?

THIS IS A THING!!!?????  How did I not know about this!?! Why wasn't I informed!?

6SAuy5y.jpg

Man just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about how to use scrapyard. :huh::/:0.0:

{please note, overdramatic post is intended to be viewed with amusement. Does not indicate any actual rage or annoyance.}

23 minutes ago, gap said:

12 minutes ago, vardicd said:

wait.... wut?

6 minutes ago, gap said:

More or lesse what I said. I only hope it answers salajander's question :)

Honestly didn't know this was a thing. You've taught me something.

Edited by vardicd

16 minutes ago, vardicd said:

THIS IS A THING!!!?????  How did I not know about this!?! Why wasn't I informed!?

6SAuy5y.jpg

Man just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about how to use scrapyard. :huh::/:0.0:

{please note, overdramatic post is intended to be viewed with amusement. Does not indicate any actual rage or annoyance.}

Honestly didn't know this was a thing. You've taught me something.

Lol I had told you yesterday that the day before I had gone through the whole SY thread(s). I dug this feature from tons of posts with bug reports, release notes, feature suggestions  and pieces of code whose exact meaning is still obscure to me for the most part :confused: :lol:

Edited by gap

Wow, I guess i should look into the VAB categories area more often than never :)

Thanks!

On 3/30/2019 at 6:25 AM, salajander said:

Also, what do the "Whole-Vessel Quick Options" do? I don't understand what they're meant for.

Did you find any references to that when digging through those old threads?

30 minutes ago, salajander said:

Wow, I guess i should look into the VAB categories area more often than never :)

Thanks!

Did you find any references to that when digging through those old threads?

If automatically quick apply is selected, Your inventory will be used instead of new parts whenever possible. If it is not selected you will always build a new part (upping the generation) unless you manually select to use a part from your inventory via scrap yard GUI.

The buttons are just quick toggles for the whole vessel to switch between building new parts (Up generation, become quicker at building it and make it safer with oh scrap)  or using inventory where possible (reduce build time and costs of vehicle)

ScrapYard 1.1.2 Released

• Recompiled against KSP 1.7
  • Fixed bug where KRASH simulations would increment the build count
  • Added support for Kerbal Changelog

@ussdefiant (and anyone else who is interested) - I looked into the ScienceAlertRealerted not adding the root part to the inventory thing and could not reproduce it.

Edited by severedsolo

@ussdefiant - I've moved the conversation over to this thread as it's a ScrapYard issue you are having

13 hours ago, ussdefiant said:

For reference, though i don't know what those T/N/I numbers mean, that particular engine type as been launched  4 times and is still Gen 1, the same thing for the fuel tanks/HG-5, and the Solar Panels/batteries are stuck despite having been used in partically everything sent to orbit. The failure rates defintely feel like they're low gen parts too.

T/N/I is "total/new/inventoried" (it's ScrapYard recording the builds). I've raised issue #3 for this, but it looks like I broke KCT when doing the latest update. Fairly certain I know what the issue is, but could you please provide your full log on the Github issue just in case.

Edited by severedsolo

I've asked questions in the old Scrapyard thread, because it's the one linked in SpaceDock.  Please update that link to point to this new thread.

UPDATE:  In the previous thread, it did not mention the dependencies, so SY failed to work for me.  Now, in this thread, I can see those dependencies, and SY works like a charmer.

Edited by Apollo13

4 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

When I use SY, when reusing used parts, it does not decrease costs of the vehicle.  Shouldn't vehicle costs be reduced?

Not usually, but there is an option for that in the Difficulty Settings.

Thank you.  I now set that.  Also see that it increases recovery costs.  Fair enough.  As a part is used more, does its cost go down?  Is there a point where the part is so far gone that it cannot be reused and drops out of inventory?

On 4/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, Apollo13 said:

Thank you.  I now set that.  Also see that it increases recovery costs.  Fair enough.  As a part is used more, does its cost go down?  Is there a point where the part is so far gone that it cannot be reused and drops out of inventory?

It wont automatically drop out of inventory. You have to manually delete all parts you don't want to use anymore.

Its been awhile, but IIRC, a part reliability goes up the first few times you use it.  (ie. "Gen 1, Used 3 times" is slightly more reliable than "Gen 1, Used 2 times")

But after x uses it starts to go down in reliability. (its getting worn out)  I "THINK" it was after 5 uses.

Actually its "Oh Scrap" mod that does the reliability checks. THIS mod is strictly for storing those parts for re-use.

Oh Scrap has a line in the parts failure config files that says: "expectedLifetime = 6" for many of the parts I saw.  So I would assume reliability for these parts will increase for each re-use up to 6th times. Then starting on the 7th re-use it will start decreasing.

I don't know, How much or How fast, it decreases probably need to ask about that in the Oh Scrap mod topic.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:13 AM, severedsolo said:

@ussdefiant - I've moved the conversation over to this thread as it's a ScrapYard issue you are having

T/N/I is "total/new/inventoried" (it's ScrapYard recording the builds). I've raised issue #3 for this, but it looks like I broke KCT when doing the latest update. Fairly certain I know what the issue is, but could you please provide your full log on the Github issue just in case.

Hi! I'm also experiencing this issue, but in 1.6.1. I just left the log on the Github issue.

<THIS IS NOT A BUG REPORT, ONLY A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT>

Public Service announcement for anyone using scrapyard, Earlier today I spent close to 4 hours tracking down what I thought was a Kerbal Construction Time bug, only to find I wasn't hunting what I thought I was hunting. After a conversation I had with Gap back on the 7th~ish when I updated my KSP to 1.7 today and started a new save, I turned on this feature of scrapyard: 

(WIP) Funds can be overridden so that using parts from the inventory do not contribute to the cost of the vessel. You do still need to have the full amount of funds (for now).

I've never used it before and began playing. I shortly noticed I was getting a massive frame-rate drop and performance hit. I was also getting a endlessly scrolling error message from KCT. {hence why I spent 4 hours tearing apart my install to try and find what mod was causing my KCT error. I still haven't found it.} Turns out the performance hit and frame-rate chug was all from enabling that WIP feature of scrapyard. I was able to repro this on a clean install with only scrapyard installed. Video of my test below:

Perhaps, if @severedsolo would be so kind, a warning could be added to the first page that enabling the WIP feature of scrapyard, may provide a performance hit, and stuttering in the build editors. {Other user's performance may not be as negatively impacted. performance may vary by user system specs.}

@gap I'm tagging you in this because of our conversation about the WIP feature of scrapyard, and I seem to remember some running conversations over on the KCT thread about stuttering in the VAB/SPH. Thought I'd give you a heads up here so you can investigate on your own and see if this helps you alleviate some of your symptoms.

Thank you for your time.

3 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Has anyone tested this in a 1.3.1 game? Or would it be best to use Magico13's 1.3.1 prerelease version?

You should be safe with 1.1.1 (1.1.2 would probably be safe too, but it's got a serious bug, which I'm looking into)

5 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Hey there.

Has anyone tested this in a 1.3.1 game? Or would it be best to use Magico13's 1.3.1 prerelease version?

Just curious before I kick off a play

Thanks

Oh jeez sorry, I misread, I thought you said 1.4.1, 

You'll need to use magicos earlier version, the persistent id field didn't exist in 1.3.1 

Sorry for the confusion there