[1.8.x] ScrapYard - The Common Part Inventory 2.0 (07/12/2019)

severedsolo

@severedsolo I have found and issue and seem to have tracked it to some sort of interaction between Scrapyard and Kerbal Construction Time (+ maybe another mod?). For some time now, I've been running into an issue in my games where, after a while attempting to dock 2 craft together would cause an instant crash to desktop, I finally discovered that when the bug is happening, If I remove either scrapyard, or KCT, the bug goes away. I had, previously been using an older version of KCT so I still had access to the other launch sites, a function that as far as a I've been able to tell is broken in the most up to date version from Linuxgurugamer. I assumed it was caused by this, so I removed both scrapyard and KCT and all dependencies, and re-downloaded all of them to ensure I had up to date versions, and deleted the KCT settings in the save file to be sure there wasn't anything left from the old version causing problems. After ensuring everything was up to date, I loaded the save and the crash still occurred, and again removing Scrapyard or KCT allowed me to dock the vessels in orbit without crashing to desktop. I don't have any Idea why this happening, nor if an interaction with some other mod is involved. I've providing a link to my actual save file, in which I have 2 craft in orbit just a few meters away from each other and ready to dock. The crash occurs as soon as they dock. I have also posted my current mod list, and my output log. If requested I'll even copy out my whole gamedata folder and make it available to you if it'll help, in the hope that maybe one of you will be able to see what's causing this problem, and hopefully help me resolve this. KCT and Scrapyard are 2 of my core must have mods for KSP, and I don't want to lose either of them, but if there is a 3rd mod not playing nice that i haven't yet found I'd be willing to part with that. I will also post this the KCT thread as well so Linuxgurugamer will see it.

tNg7Jph.png

Mod list

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zpxwto8q4gw58c/Player.log?dl=0 Log {I hope I posted the right one this time}

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m60ljyr969hpvmu/AAAqdJHYMHxfJyWtr2aUbMrGa?dl=0 Save file. 

2 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

@vardicd - I've seen this before myself, but never made the connection. I have a sneaking suspicion that this might be something to do with PersistentIDs of the parts, but I will take a look at it over the next few days and see what I can dig up.

I appreciate it. I've been dealing with this bug for several weeks, and 4 save files now, trying to figure out the common mods/situations to trigger it. KCT and Scrapyard where literally the last 2 mods I'd thought to check, because I didn't consider them candidates for a crash related to a docking incident, and in every previous event of the bug modded parts were involved. this was the first time I'd experienced it on what i believe is a pure stock vessel, so i just started ripping all my part mods out, and when it was still happening I started ripping everything else out. It's been driving me nuts.

13 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I appreciate it. I've been dealing with this bug for several weeks, and 4 save files now, trying to figure out the common mods/situations to trigger it. KCT and Scrapyard where literally the last 2 mods I'd thought to check, because I didn't consider them candidates for a crash related to a docking incident, and in every previous event of the bug modded parts were involved. this was the first time I'd experienced it on what i believe is a pure stock vessel, so i just started ripping all my part mods out, and when it was still happening I started ripping everything else out. It's been driving me nuts.

Hmm, see when it happened to me it was literally one vessel. I docked several others and they were all fine.

Fair warning: if it is what I think it is (persistent IDs) then that's not a quick fix. It's probably something I need to look at anyway though, as I have other people reporting (separate) errors tied to the persistentID system too.

@vardicd - I just loaded up your save, didn't install all  of your mods, but most of them. I was able to dock fine. (It wouldn't connect the first time, I had to back off and try again, but I think that's a KSP thing)

What contract packs are you using? CC pokes it's fingers into ALOT of places in the game, and I wonder if it's something weird going on in the contract system.

Narrowing down your list of mods against the ones I just tested that leaves you with:

AllAboard (it's not going to be this one, because you said you'd been struggling with this for weeks and this was only released 2 days ago)
CRP (unlikely)
One of your contract packs (quite likely - and Scrapyard does interact with CC a little).
Final Frontier (possible, but I'd put it low on the list of candidates)
Flags (I doubt it)
GroundEffect (I couldn't find this on CKAN so didn't install it. I don't know what it is)
Memorial Wall (no way, that only runs in the Space Centre)
PlanetaryBaseInc (I couldn't find this on CKAN so didn't install it. I don't know what it is)
SituationModuleInfo (dont know what this is, but could be a candidate)
Xyphos Aerospace (couldn't find on CKAN)
ZeroMiniAVC (absolutely no way)

Of the mods listed that weren't tested, the only two that I use are Contract Configurator (and various packs) , CRP (which I don't think is a candidate) and Memorial Wall (which can't possibly be a candidate) - I'd start your focus on those.

Edited by severedsolo

35 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

@vardicd - I just loaded up your save, didn't install all  of your mods, but most of them. I was able to dock fine. (It wouldn't connect the first time, I had to back off and try again, but I think that's a KSP thing)

What contract packs are you using? CC pokes it's fingers into ALOT of places in the game, and I wonder if it's something weird going on in the contract system.

Narrowing down your list of mods against the ones I just tested that leaves you with:

AllAboard (it's not going to be this one, because you said you'd been struggling with this for weeks and this was only released 2 days ago)
CRP (unlikely)
One of your contract packs (quite likely - and Scrapyard does interact with CC a little).
Final Frontier (possible, but I'd put it low on the list of candidates)
Flags (I doubt it)
GroundEffect (I couldn't find this on CKAN so didn't install it. I don't know what it is)
Memorial Wall (no way, that only runs in the Space Centre)
PlanetaryBaseInc (I couldn't find this on CKAN so didn't install it. I don't know what it is)
SituationModuleInfo (dont know what this is, but could be a candidate)
Xyphos Aerospace (couldn't find on CKAN)
ZeroMiniAVC (absolutely no way)

Of the mods listed that weren't tested, the only two that I use are Contract Configurator (and various packs) , CRP (which I don't think is a candidate) and Memorial Wall (which can't possibly be a candidate) - I'd start your focus on those.

Kerbin Space Station is the only contract pack I'm currently using. {will test without it.}

Final Frontier was only added in the current save that i shared. was not present in previous saves.

flags only contains 3 custom flags i use in my games for my space program.

Ground effect is a mod that affects lifting for planes. 

Planetary bases is a mod that adds parts and functionality for bases: 

SituationModuleInfo: This simple plugin adds additional info about science experiment to its information panel (RightMouseClick). Now you can find info about situation when experiment will work and its relations from biomes while constructing your vessel in VAB. Also it adds usage requirements and can trace multiple experiments definitions in one part. Works in VAB-SPH only. 

Xyphos Aerospace is a mod that adds an automation feature to fuel cells. 

Edited by vardicd

@vardicd - I'm sorry mate, I've installed all your mods, redownloaded your save, and was still unable to reproduce.

I'm not saying I don't believe you - like I said, I encountered this myself a while back on 1.7.3 and I couldn't figure out what was causing it then either.

Does that particular save trigger it for you when you dock? As I said, in my testing it wasn't all craft for me. If not, give me a save where it does trigger, just before the docking event (I'm assuming thats what you did, but just covering all bases)

Other than that, the one thing I can think of, is I am obviously running everything to the latest versions because I just downloaded them, are all your mods definitely up to date (I should mention that I tested this on 1.8.1 too)

Edited by severedsolo

8 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

@vardicd - I'm sorry mate, I've installed all your mods, redownloaded your save, and was still unable to reproduce.

I'm not saying I don't believe you - like I said, I encountered this myself a while back on 1.7.3 and I couldn't figure out what was causing it then either.

Does that particular save trigger it for you when you dock? As I said, in my testing it wasn't all craft for me.

Other than that, the one thing I can think of, is I am obviously running everything to the latest versions because I just downloaded them, are all your mods definitely up to date (I should mention that I tested this on 1.8.1 too)

So here's something crazy. After I replied to you, I pulled the save game out of dropbox so i was testing the exact same version of the save as you, and removed Kerbin space station and xyphos aerospace from my pc. loaded up and docked, no crash. readded xyphos aerospace, pulled the save off dropbox fresh, docked, no crash. figured kerbin station was the culprit. readded kerbin space station to my game, so i had the exact same install as when i sent you the save, pulled the save off dropbox one last time, docked. no crash. if i take the local copy of the save i have here on my pc and load it. I get the crash as soon as i dock. if i copy that local save to another folder on my pc, and then back into the save, i get a crash when i dock those 2 craft. if i upload that local save to dropbox, creating a second copy on my dropbox, then redownload that [second copy not the one shared with you] and plug it back into my save, i get no crash. for some reason copying that save file off my pc and then back on to it, prevents the crash from occurring. 

All mods in the save are in their most up to date versions, and i'm on KSP 1.8.1

Edited by vardicd

4 minutes ago, vardicd said:

for some reason copying that save file off my pc and then back on to it, prevents the crash from occurring. 

I uh, have no answer to that. I do know that the stock docking code is a mess, and can do stupid things. My guess is some kind of stock bug that mods are exacerbating, but... well I can't reproduce, I can't see what's going wrong :(

1 minute ago, severedsolo said:

I uh, have no answer to that. I do know that the stock docking code is a mess, and can do stupid things. My guess is some kind of stock bug that mods are exacerbating, but... well I can't reproduce, I can't see what's going wrong :(

does scrapyard save data about parts that have been recovered and are available for reuse somewhere other than in the save file?

Just now, vardicd said:

does scrapyard save data about parts that have been recovered and are available for reuse somewhere other than in the save file?

No, it's all stored in the persistence file.

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

One last thing to try (and trust me this is a long shot) run CheckDisk on your hard drive. Literally the only thing I can think of right now.

57 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

No, it's all stored in the persistence file.

Okay, then that's strange, because the scrapyard inventory in the save I pull of dropbox doesn't include all the parts i've built and recovered.It shows I have no recovered docking ports nor any of the Onion command pods, and I know I've built and recovered at least 3 if not 4 in this save. 2 of them are in orbit, about to dock, but there should still be at least 1 more of each of those parts available in my inventory. The save is also missing a few science parts that I know I've built and recovered, material science bays is one for sure. I know I've built 2 planes to fly around Kerbin, each with 2 material bays slung under the wings, and I've recovered them in this save. I should at least have 4 material bays in the inventory if not more, but scrapyard says i have none. It feels like I'm missing some more parts in this save too, but those are the only ones that I am 100% sure were built and recovered intact and should be in the inventory and are not.

EDIT: @severedsolo never mind on the missing parts in the dropbox save. I think I'm seeing missing parts in my local saves too. I'll keep poking at this and see if I can verify with 100% certainty that scrapyard isn't properly recording parts used and recovered. Crazy side thought, some of the parts I think I'm seeing not show up in scrapyard are parts modified by restock. Restock changing part models/names, whatever wouldn't be messing with how scrapyard keeps track of parts would it?

Edited by vardicd

@severedsolo Just to clarify, you won't find "Xyphos Aerospace" on CKAN because that folder is the "base folder" for all the mods I make.
Examples:
XyphosAerospace/SnapDock
XyphosAerospace/FullAutoStrut
XyphosAerospace/BuoyancyControl
etc....

you will find the Author "Xyphos" on CKAN however.

Edited by Xyphos

7 hours ago, Xyphos said:

@severedsolo Just to clarify, you won't find "Xyphos Aerospace" on CKAN because that folder is the "base folder" for all the mods I make.
Examples:
XyphosAerospace/SnapDock
XyphosAerospace/FullAutoStrut
XyphosAerospace/BuoyancyControl
etc....

you will find the Author "Xyphos" on CKAN however.

I figured that was probably the case - all I had was a screenshot of the GameData folder, no way to know which of your mods he had installed (and it seemed unlikely you were causing the issue anyway)

• 4 weeks later...

@severedsolo I think I might have found an issue using RP-1, as someone said earlier on this thread as well.

When trying to build a rocket using inventory parts, the build time on KCT does not change. Can't tell if it's related to this mod, RP1 or KCT. Tried it on a clean install with only KCT and Scrapyard and works fine,  with RP1 it doesn't.

What I did:

Clean 1.8.1 install, used CKAN to install Scrapyard, RP-1 and all it's minimum dependencies.

Started a new game, created a ship (KCT said it would take 500 days), launched it and recovered it (NOT using KCT recovery)

Back on the VAB, I saw that the parts were on the Scrapyard inventory. But when loading the saved ship with "auto apply" on, KCT would still say that it would take 500 days. Then, reloading the ship with "auto apply" off and applying the parts manually, it would only lower the build time for the Command part and the Fuel tank, lowering it for something like 480 days or so.

Log file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WGHKICuFTntmkwVkI40N6vYuDOLw37yD

Save file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12z1cYKAUnWZIExoQBbWLNHpXXh9iCz0V

Craft file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=15d4f1kZaqMeWKxHclrtBMUNYUmq5VBhd

Edit: tested on a 1.7.3 install as well (since RP-1 isn't officially updated yet) and got the same results.

Edited by markinturamb

• 3 weeks later...

I have been asked by @severedsolo to adopt this wonderful mod for curation.

I am hoping @severedsolo continues to assist when needed. :D

Now I do not have the skill @magico13 of @severedsolo have; but I will do my best.

With that said, what is currently not supported will probably remain not supported; unless someone more skilled than I does a PR through github. I also have to say that I normally don't have this installed due to my super-grand-potato giving me an evil cam any time I mention installing it. :o

More will be posted here when it is time.

68747470733a2f2f696d672e736869656c64732e

Edited by zer0Kerbal

13 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

I am hoping @severedsolo continues to assist when needed.

Not that I mind - but you might be better off starting your own thread, so you can update the OP etc (and makes life a bit easier for everyone)

As for assistance - to be clear, I'm not going anywhere, I'm just looking to refocus my efforts a little, which means getting rid of some of the older stuff so I can focus on new things I want to work on.

ScrapYard has been in a holding pattern for over a year, and it's about time someone who can actually give it the attention it deserves takes it. I'm confident that it's in good hands.

Edited by severedsolo

18 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

own thread

good idea, I will, when I have the readme's ready. working on them now.

19 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just looking to refocus my efforts a little

this will make everyone happy!

19 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

I'm confident that it's in good hands.

thank you.

8 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

sounds like RP-1 ?

RealChutes I think is the issue more than RP-1 itself (I haven't really dug too far into it though tbh). - it's not so much a conflict as in "you should definitely never use these two mods together" - it's just that ScrapYard doesn't like adding RealChute parts to the inventory.

OhScrap depends on ScrapYard so will auto install if that's used. Stage Recovery and KCT are definitely recommended mods.

Kerbal Changelog is at the moment set up as a dependency on CKAN (definitely for Oh Scrap!, I don't remember for ScrapYard" - that's basically my "if I make a save breaking change you can't say you weren't warned" defence because CKAN users may not read the changelog on Github.

Edited by severedsolo

On 3/4/2020 at 1:52 AM, severedsolo said:

RealChutes I think is the issue more than RP-1 itself (I haven't really dug too far into it though tbh). - it's not so much a conflict as in "you should definitely never use these two mods together" - it's just that ScrapYard doesn't like adding RealChute parts to the inventory.

Sorry for not getting back on this earlier but the problem is (in very general terms) that Scrap yard has a problem with persistent values which can change. It needs to be more relaxed when comparing part configs to see if they are the same. And possibly needs a way for fields of certain mods to be blacklisted. (i.e. when it sees that field, don't use it in the comparison)

The problem with Real Chutes is that there was a particular persistent value that can (and WILL) change so Scrap Yard erroneously believes that the part is not the same part as what it was comparing.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:50 PM, Starwaster said:

Sorry for not getting back on this earlier but the problem is (in very general terms) that Scrap yard has a problem with persistent values which can change. It needs to be more relaxed when comparing part configs to see if they are the same. And possibly needs a way for fields of certain mods to be blacklisted. (i.e. when it sees that field, don't use it in the comparison)

The problem with Real Chutes is that there was a particular persistent value that can (and WILL) change so Scrap Yard erroneously believes that the part is not the same part as what it was comparing.

excellent explanation. Also explains why I probably won't be supporting RealChutes in ScrapYard/OhScrap; that reason being that I would have to tear apart RealChutes to understand it in order to support it. Beyond my scope and intent at this moment; however I do accept GitHub PR's.

Also:

Open beta for KSP 1.9.1 coming soon.

Like now:

https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/ScrapYard/releases/tag/2.1.0.0

SOURCE: GitHub
License:
68747470733a2f2f696d672e736869656c64732e

@zer0Kerbal zer0Kerbal released this 13 days ago

ScrapYard Version KSP 1.9.1 KSP-AVC License: MIT MIT-17x17.png

Version 2.1.0.0

• >>-- Adoption by zer0Kerbal --<<
  • recompiled for KSP 1.9.1
  • recompiled against .NET 4.8
  • updated file structure
  • updated .csproj to zer0Kerbal's
  • updated to zer0Kerbal's automated build process
  • added CONTRIBUTION.md
  • added automated process to generate Readme.htm from Readme.md
  • updated Spacedock
  • created Curseforge
  • create new forum thread

Kerbal Space Program 1.9.1
.NET Framework 4.8

Kindly find new thread here:

@severedsolo maybe ask the mods to lock this thread?

@HebaruSan as per your inquiry - the new ScrapYard

Edited by zer0Kerbal

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I am using this awesome mod in conjuction with KCT.

I built a craft an placed it on launchpad I did a few experiments with it and never actually launched the vessel (contract).

I then went back to ksc and recovered the craft.

I then went into VAB and started to place bits I never needed back into inventory on the left I noticed no parts went into the SCRAPYARD GUI apart from like one item.

Does this mod support ALL MODDED parts or do modders also have to write there mods to work with this?.

Sorry I am probably just confued I was expecting EVERY thing to show up in the SCRAPYARD GUI (apart from goo as thats a use once item any way)

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT

Hmmm I just had a crash because I "THINK" as I rescaled a SXTSputnik and scrapyard tryed to reocver it I had a crash to desktop?.

Maybe that oart should not be tweakscaled?

[TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for mass in TweakScale for SXTSputnik

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

then there was loads of stuff under that then a stack trace

pXZi5Hy.png

was this due to a tweakscaled part you think? :(

Edited by stk2008