Today I found a petition to rename the planets of the TRAPPIST-1 system into Kerbal planets.

MedwedianPresident

Unfortunately, the International Astronomical Union pretty much dictates what can and cannot be a planet name, and they have decided that all planet names come from various world mythologies. This is not going to change anytime in the near future.  There are both pros and cons to this.

https://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/References

However, that does not mean that KSP cannot at least find its way into spacecraft. It was a petition from Star Trek fans that caused the first shuttle to be called Enterprise. Why couldn't the next craft to visit green Uranus be called Jool? 

I think the first AI computer that NASA builds should have the voice of Scott Manley.

43 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Unfortunately, the International Astronomical Union pretty much dictates what can and cannot be a planet name, and they have decided that all planet names come from various world mythologies. This is not going to change anytime in the near future.  There are both pros and cons to this.

One of the cons would be the notion that the International Astronomical Union has any jurisdiction in interplanetary space--it's in the name, after all.  So in that case, yes, I think the Jool would be a good name for the next craft to visit Georgium Sidus.

Another would be that no one bothered to compare the rate at which we create myths to the rate at which we discover planets.  There are quite a few planets that will remain catalogue numbers for a long, long time--possibly forever--so it's not completely outside the realm of possibility to assume that someone will invent a classification system that is independent from the availability of various pantheons.

Actually, on that note, I wonder whether the IAU will be forced eventually to revisit the suitability of certain religious sources given that some of the ones listed appear still to be active.  By that I mean to say that  it would be improper to assume that a Hawaiian religious adherent, for example, would necessarily be pleased to see Hawaiian religion used to name rocks in the sky, so perhaps we will find ourselves needing to rename Haumea at some point in the future.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.