Minmus Orbital - Rura Penthe

NewtSoup

With the HOK on mission it has been decided by the Emperor that Minmus Orbital needs to be rebuilt followed by Rura Penthe Penal Colony  Popular Tourist Destination.  No longer needing to pander to the vagaries of outside contracts Minmus Oribtal was quickly slapped together  carefully designed to be launched in one main piece as a refuelling station with the ability to be expanded later.

Holy Cheesecake it flies and is relatively stable!

fByu72l.png

I honestly can't believe this worked.

BHMMoiu.png

An interesting thing for me at least is learning how to use more than one maneuver node.  Here I used two, one for a main burn to kick me out of LKO with roughly the right dV and then a second node fine tunes and performs the inclination change ( where it's cheaper ) to get the Minmus encounter.

LFvElDH.png

Once the whole thing reaches Minmus the engines can be undocked and deorbited leaving three Docking Port Sr.  The station then has a number of other docking ports available in the various sizes.  Although it doesn't need it due to the Minmus relay network it has some relay dishes on the side for looks.  I also fitted it with two Fuel Cell Arrays.  Not sure why.  Possibly just in case the Sun goes out.  The station does have some fore/aft thrust from vernor motors and it can hold attitude with some internal reaction wheels.  Really though once it's in place it should never move again.

I've uploaded a video of the last engine being deoribited.  Why? Because I could.  Just a bit of practice doing video stuff really.  Found out that OBS and I have very differing opinions on what constitutes "High Quality".  I will have words next time.  Minmus looks like a paint by numbers sketch most of the time.

Where's the video?  It's uploading! after which you tube is going to do something dreadful to it I'm sure.  I shall pop the link in when I wake up tomorrow. 

Edited by NewtSoup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.