Sierra Nevada Thread (Dream Chaser, plus!)

tater

1 hour ago, Canopus said:

Is this shooting star Vehicle a complete Service module that could be used as a tug for other modules or more like the Dragon trunk? 

That's a good question, actually.

24 minutes ago, Scotius said:

More like Dragon trunk. It will be detached and deorbited at the end of the mission, just like Soyuz service module.

i know it will be deorbited, the question was more if it has its own propulsion, so that it could be used without the actual dreamchaser in a capacity similar to the progress tug used for Pirs and Poisk.

Also just noticed the name Shooting Star is kinda nice for the part burning up on reentry.

Edited by Canopus

It is specifically referred to as "cargo module" - with attached solar panels. There are no mentions of any engines or fuel tanks. I'd say it's just that - extra space for cargo outside of the payload bay. Probably for less essential stuff too. So, yeah - basically equivalent of Dragon trunk.

Seems like it could easily be repurposed as a generic SM, though.

SNC is in a great position, IMO. Between Dream Chaser, Shooting Star, and the Dynetics lander, they are about making spacecraft, not launch vehicles.

Given SpaceX and soon BO, I think any outfit working the issue of what do do IN space, vs how to get TO space is going to be very well positioned.

F9 could continue as a legacy launched for DC, for example. The crew version. With reuse, seems like launch costs could be quite reasonable.

11 minutes ago, tater said:

Seems like it could easily be repurposed as a generic SM, though.

SNC is in a great position, IMO. Between Dream Chaser, Shooting Star, and the Dynetics lander, they are about making spacecraft, not launch vehicles.

Given SpaceX and soon BO, I think any outfit working the issue of what do do IN space, vs how to get TO space is going to be very well positioned.

F9 could continue as a legacy launched for DC, for example. The crew version. With reuse, seems like launch costs could be quite reasonable.

This. And in this way, Falcon 9 would finally get reuseable second stage :)  Hey, it would be Starship\SuperHeavy in miniature :cool:

Is it really a "capability" to "burn up in re-entry"? I thought that was more like a default.

(I also thought that a lot of "burned on re-entry" items are really more like "fall into the ocean after significant charring")

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

Is it really a "capability" to "burn up in re-entry"? I thought that was more like a default.

(I also thought that a lot of "burned on re-entry" items are really more like "fall into the ocean after significant charring")

I wish that phrase would "burn up in re-entry". Break-up" 

I'd love to learn what percentage of vehicle mass actually vaporizes. 50%? 20%?

6 minutes ago, Nightside said:

I wish that phrase would "burn up in re-entry". Break-up" 

I'd love to learn what percentage of vehicle mass actually vaporizes. 50%? 20%?

BOE but I would say 70% or more. If it breaks up during max heating, that's a LOT of exposed surface.

https://www.sncorp.com/press-releases/snc-shooting-star-arrives-nasa-kennedy-space-center/

So on their website its says:

For additional versatility, Shooting Star can support logistics services to other LEO destinations, including future commercial outposts, and for the lunar Gateway. SNC has also developed a concept for a free flying version that can act as a satellite to carry large payloads, with high-power capacity.

Which kinda answers my Question.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.sncorp.com/press-releases/snc-details-for-leo-commercialization-and-commercial-space-station

SPARKS, Nev., March 31, 2021 – Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC), the global aerospace and national security company owned by Eren and Fatih Ozmen, outlined development plans for its low-Earth orbit (LEO) space station – leveraging its transportation and destination technologies – releasing new images, details and video of the unique concept in support of LEO commercialization.

The space station is a configuration of multiple large inflatable LIFE™ habitats that can be serviced by both cargo and crew carrying Dream Chaser® spaceplanes.

“There is no scalable space travel industry without a spaceplane,” said SNC’s Chairwoman and owner Eren Ozmen. “Dream Chaser and its runway landing offer the scalable, preferred solution for humans and science in support of a vibrant LEO economy.”

snc-1.jpg

I want to see it in LEO and landing and then going back again before I start looking at the investor relations / marketing portfolio. 

Oh - and I'm gonna repeat this: they have my support on name recognition alone... THE BEER IS FANTASTIC! 

...and I don't care that they are unrelated ;p

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, tater said:

But even the spaceless parent company isn't the beer company.  How disappointing.  They are a "American, privately held aerospace and national security contractor specializing in aircraft modification and integration, space components and systems, and related technology products for cybersecurity and Health", according to the infallible wiki.

• 2 months later...