Coming Soon™ . . . Races!

hmmm.... when (re)loading ksp with this mod I only get "Unsupported KSP Version - Use 1.2.1".

Ingame I don't see any controls or whatsoever from the mod. And I don't see any way to load the race track...

Running 1.4.5 also... (Other mods currently are MechJeb, KER, Alarms).

Did you uninstall all other mods for this? Or any other ideas?

Oh crap haha, got it....just had to load a vehicle first to get the interface/button...

Now, building a new buggy :-)

Edited by Stunkfish
New Info

3 minutes ago, Stunkfish said:

hmmm.... when (re)loading ksp with this mod I only get "Unsupported KSP Version - Use 1.2.1".

Ingame I don't see any controls or whatsoever from the mod. And I don't see any way to load the race track...

Running 1.4.5 also... (Other mods currently are MechJeb, KER, Alarms).

Did you uninstall all other mods for this? Or any other ideas?

There should be an icon that looks like a red square with a white line through it in the taskbar. Clicking on it should bring up the Races! menu.

JIlOzV2.jpg?1

That's what it looks like.

1 hour ago, Stunkfish said:

Oh crap haha, got it

1 hour ago, kerbalstar said:

There should be an icon that looks like a red square with a white line through it in the taskbar. Clicking on it should bring up the Races! menu.

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention the mod will say it's not compatible, but it works fine. ^_^

This is why I never start a challenge unprepared. &)

Edited by Triop

Just now, SiriusRocketry said:

1.) I don't need it...I don't need it... I definitely don't need it...I NEEEED IT!!

2.) How do you install and edit tracks- can we get a video?

3.) Makeshift F1 soon. ;)

Install is not that hard, nor is the mod.

When installed you will have a map called RaceTracks in your gamedata folder, that is where all the designed trackfiles go, *.krt files stands for a saved track.

Just take some time to get to know the mod, it's just a simple stopwatch once you get to know it. ^_^

6 minutes ago, SiriusRocketry said:

1.) I don't need it...I don't need it... I definitely don't need it...I NEEEED IT!!

2.) How do you install and edit tracks- can we get a video?

3.) Makeshift F1 soon. ;)

You download the track and put it in the Race Tracks folder. To edit hit the button in game. Hope this helped!  May require a KSP restart to load up new tracks, not sure.

Edited by kerbalstar

9 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

Are you going to post some rules, or am I making the biggest nastiest rocket I can, that still just happens to maintain contact with the ground?

Yes, rules, good point.

- No drones

- Maintain contact with the ground

I guess I'll break this up in 2 catagories, modded and stock.

The upcoming challenge will have 6-12 tracks (not sure yet).

Cool challenge! My twin-Juno F1-style car is currently lapping in the low 4x seconds with a standing start, that is when I don't clip gates or crash at the R&D Dome hairpin... I'm assuming flying start is OK since if you did more than 1 lap you'd have a flying start anyway? If so my best lap is in 39 something seconds! :D

Pics when I don't forget to take some...

Edited by Gaarst

@Stunkfish How about doing more laps, like 6 or so ?

You can change the number of laps here:

az0Ak4C.png

You made it look so easy... ^_^

13 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

I'm assuming flying start is OK since if you did more than 1 lap

Yes, I even would suggest doing a flying start.

How do you feel about doing 6 laps ?

Edited by Triop

6 minutes ago, Triop said:

Yes, I even suggest doing a flying start.

How do you feel about doing 6 laps ?

I'm having issues completing 1 lap without crashing, but 6 laps should be well doable with a bit more practice. Then, will the score be the best lap or the total time overall, or both?

2 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Then, will the score be the best lap or the total time overall, or both?

I guess both would be cool.

I'm working on more tracks, I think 6 races, each 6 laps would be nice to start a little F-1 kinda championship.

I'm just hoping more people will enter, the Races! mod might hold people back, but we need it for timing.

If someone has an idea for a track please go ahead.

You can open this picture with paint and draw your track.

gZbBBiK.png

Or you can setup a race using the Races! mod.

Edited by Triop

14 hours ago, Triop said:

@Stunkfish How about doing more laps, like 6 or so ?

You can change the number of laps here:

Welllllllll.......llll.... I might be up for 3 or 5 laps...

I know after six I would be too pumped with adrenalin :confused:

For tracks...do you want to stay on the KSC grounds?

Maybe define a max distance for each track/lap ? (Or someone...someone....might come up with a pole to pole thingy or worse :wink:)

I have tried to come up with a few ideas for tracks, here's what I got so far: (I placed gates to see if I could go around the track and how fast, the line is more important)

• Monka: a fast track with lots of straights and some tight corners. (about 1:00)

XQUBMd1.png

• Monako: a tighter and slower circuit with plenty of low-speed cornering. (about 1:00)

eshqami.png

• Northloop: a long track following the borders of the KSC, good for endurance and testing driver concentration. (about 1:30)

21SMvkX.png

They are all longer than the current track used (as in they take longer to go around) so maybe 6 laps will be too much for these.

Also, a picture of the car I will be using for going around the circuits (save a few modifications), 95% stock as I am using a few of the smaller elevons from the Airplane Plus mod (I can swap them easily):

HEM2kB8.png

Edited by Gaarst

5 hours ago, Gaarst said:

Monka: a fast track with lots of straights and some tight corners. (about 1:00)

That's a very cool track, can I use it in the challenge ? Of course I'll give you kredit for it. ^_^

I love the name too, Monka :cool:

Feel free to make more !

5 hours ago, Gaarst said:

Also, a picture of the car I will be using for going around the circuits

I'd love to see this car driving on a video.

8 hours ago, Stunkfish said:

For tracks...do you want to stay on the KSC grounds?

Maybe define a max distance for each track/lap ?

Yes, I do prefer to stay on the KSC grounds for this challenge, but the mod can also be used to setup a rally through the landscape.

I think all tracks should be around a minute long, not sure how much meters that is, but I can check.

1 hour ago, Triop said:

That's a very cool track, can I use it in the challenge ? Of course I'll give you kredit for it. ^_^

I love the name too, Monka :cool:

Feel free to make more !

I'd love to see this car driving on a video.

Sure you can, if I didn't want people to use I wouldn't have posted it. :wink:

For the car video, maybe? I'm using a laptop and don't have any recording software beside the Windows 10 Xbox thing, I'll see if I can get decent resolution and framerate but no promises.

1 hour ago, Triop said:

I was thinking, how about all drivers use the same car, making this more a driver challenge ?

How do you guys feel about that ?

I'd be more in favour of allowing people to race their own car. Building is as important as driving itself and we get to see what people can come up with. That and people would complain about whose design we'd have to use.

More severe restrictions on the car while still letting people build their own thing (basically what RL racing does) might be more interesting, and make for a fairer competition. I'm not sure what you would base these restrictions on because building a car in KSP doesn't have a single approach easy to regulate.

I think some power, weight and safety restrictions could be fun to play around, but we'd have to see more entries from people to find what limits would be balanced.

2 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Sure you can, if I didn't want people to use I wouldn't have posted it:wink:

Can you upload the krt file ?

4 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

I'd be more in favour of allowing people to race their own car. Building is as important as driving itself and we get to see what people can come up with. That and people would complain about whose design we'd have to use.

Yes, I see your point, let's not make it too compilcated.

Maybe we also should only race for fastest lap, doing 6 or more laps may be to much.

Thanks for the advice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.