Coming Soon™ . . . Races!

41 minutes ago, Triop said:

I think I will put in a different categorie for electric and jet engined cars.

To be honest I prefer electric driven cars without wings, but your work (and @Gaarst

@Vanamonde I have the same problem again, can't post text after pinging Gaarst . . . :unsure:

Edit:

. . .  is amazing !

If you have any questions about the mod let me know, thanks for the tracks. :cool:

I like the Idea of two categories. It provides more options for creators without making the challenge unfair. Thanks for the compliment, there really is sort of an art to building detailed cars. 

12 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

I like the Idea of two categories. It provides more options for creators without making the challenge unfair.

Yeah, when I saw Gaarst racing his car I thought: "Well, there goes the competition..."

There is no way racing an electric car can compete with a winged fuel driven engine, but I see you are also into building fast lf racers.

I think you and Gaarst are leading jet drivin cars now, I know @purpleivan has experience with this, I hope he will join too.

But I also think the Tesla's should have a chance, @GDJ might be joining this I hope. :cool:

12 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

there really is sort of an art to building detailed cars.

A art I'm very jealous of, I can't do it . . .

But I'm fine driving hard to control electric crap. ^_^

Edited by Triop

Count me in for separate categories, but I still think there needs to be some regulations, especially for the jet category since there is virtually no power limit, and concerning electric and wings. (I'm also in favour of banning SAS and active aero but that's really because I've built my car without those.) To some extent I think regulations can encourage innovative design if we have to make do with limited resources.

I have been racing around the LAB Test Track 3; it's a cool circuit with lots of low- and high-speed cornering (I've never used my brakes so much) and I enjoy going around it. My only pet peeve is these invisible boundaries between the different KSC zones, that for some reason I seem to hit more on that course, popping my tyres every time.

I'm also interested in the electric category and may come up with an electric conversion of my car to give Triop a run for his money on fairer grounds!

Edit: BTW, 0:50:10 on LAB TT3

Edited by Gaarst

14 minutes ago, Triop said:

Yeah, when I saw Gaarst racing his car I thought: "Well, there goes the competition..."

There is no way racing an electric car can compete with a winged fuel driven engine, but I see you are also into building fast lf racers.

I think you and Gaarst are leading jet drivin cars now, I know @purpleivan has experience with this, I hope he will join too.

But I also think the Tesla's should have a chance, @GDJ might be joining this I hope. :cool:

I hope more car creators will start to participate in this as well. Everyone has their own unique way of building craft and it's always interesting to see.

Edited by LABenterprises

2 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Count me in for separate categories, but I still think there needs to be some regulations

Ok, but I can't setup rules for a categorie I do not know nothing about (wings, lf engines.)

So I suggest you come up with rules/limits and discuss that with @LABenterprises since you 2 are the only pro's here. &)

18 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

is using my joystick for precise steering allowed

Only when you use your feet.

8 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

I hope more car creators will start to participate in this as well. Everyone has their own unique way of building craft and it's always interesting to see.

They are out there, reading...staying quiet untill the event is launched... :ph34r:

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Count me in for separate categories, but I still think there needs to be some regulations, especially for the jet category since there is virtually no power limit, and concerning electric and wings. (I'm also in favour of banning SAS and active aero but that's really because I've built my car without those.) To some extent I think regulations can encourage innovative design if we have to make do with limited resources.

I agree with banning SAS, however, I'm quite partial to active aero. Perhaps it could be allowed solely for assisting with braking. 

16 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

I have been racing around the LAB Test Track 3; it's a cool circuit with lots of low- and high-speed cornering (I've never used my brakes so much) and I enjoy going around it. My only pet peeve is these invisible boundaries between the different KSC zones, that for some reason I seem to hit more on that course, popping my tyres every time.

Thanks, It took me a while to make a final decision on the path of the track. For the invisible boundaries it's best to just make your spring and damper settings softer.  

3 minutes ago, Triop said:

I overlayed my track with LAB's, very similar.

I don't mind, saves training time. &)

Wow, they really are similar, and my track's over eight months old.

3 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

Wow, they really are similar, and my track's over eight months old.

I don't mind, but I might change my track by reversing the direction into anti clockwise :lol:

I'll work on the Kurgernurburgubering next. :cool:

5 hours ago, LABenterprises said:

You realize I'm going to spend the next ten minutes of my life trying to pronounce this, right? :D

There's a trick to doing that:

Kurger-nurburg-ubering.

How's that ?

giphy.gif

:sticktongue:

Edited by Triop

12 hours ago, LABenterprises said:

I agree with banning SAS, however, I'm quite partial to active aero. Perhaps it could be allowed solely for assisting with braking. 

I think that active aero could be allowed for braking, mostly because there isn't really a way to improve braking beyond increasing the brakes slider to the max. I've never actually used airbrakes on my car because I've always thought that aero surfaces deploy too slowly to make a difference at high speeds when they are needed.

Thanks, It took me a while to make a final decision on the path of the track. For the invisible boundaries it's best to just make your spring and damper settings softer.

I'm using the M1 wheels which have quite a lot of suspension travel, so I've set the spring and dampener to the max to have the most rigid suspension possible, and even then the car rolls quite noticeably in turns so I'm not sure I can lower them too far.

8 hours ago, Triop said:

There's a trick to doing that:

Kurger-nurburg-ubering.

How's that ?

Now I've got it. It sounds like if the Nürburgring took steroids.  

56 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

I think that active aero could be allowed for braking, mostly because there isn't really a way to improve braking beyond increasing the brakes slider to the max. I've never actually used airbrakes on my car because I've always thought that aero surfaces deploy too slowly to make a difference at high speeds when they are needed.

While they do take time to deploy, once they have the benefits can be enormous. Over time my cars have gotten heavier and faster, so airbrakes are really the only way to slow them down quickly. I like to use the Big-S elevon since when it's fully deployed it generates plenty of drag.

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

I'm using the M1 wheels which have quite a lot of suspension travel, so I've set the spring and dampener to the max to have the most rigid suspension possible, and even then the car rolls quite noticeably in turns so I'm not sure I can lower them too far.

I always use the TR-2L wheels. I'm not very familiar with the M1 wheels.

14 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Here's a trip around Triop's K-1 track in my all stock 6 wheeler in 54:68s.

Wow, 6 wheels are the way to go.

The car is so stable, unbelievable.

I feel kinda guilty stealing your design... ^_^

00:52:04

I'm also thinking of doing 6 laps per race, I guess it's do-able.

It's hard to keep concentration, but that's part of the challenge I think.

I could do fastest laps and races in different categories.

Again, tell me what you guys think ?

On 10/7/2018 at 4:51 PM, Gaarst said:

I've designed an electric-driven car (though it uses a fuel cell for EC production, hope that's OK), the UM-E1 which did a time of 0:51:98 around Kerbal One:

With that time you can do 6 laps under 5 minutes. ;)

53 minutes ago, Triop said:

I'm also thinking of doing 6 laps per race, I guess it's do-able.

It's hard to keep concentration, but that's part of the challenge I think.

I could do fastest laps and races in different categories.

Again, tell me what you guys think ?

I think that's a good idea.

6 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

I think that's a good idea.

Good to hear that.

How many Grand Prix should we do ?

6 tracks or 12 ?

I'd like to make the challenge as close to F-1 as we can get.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.