Coming Soon™ . . . Races!

12 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

I think 12. The more races the better.

I agree.

We do need more confirmed drivers, I'd like to set up a F-1 challenge for minimal 6 people.

So far as I know; you, Gaarst, purpleivan and myself keep this upcoming challenge alive.

I hope more dedicated serious racers will join this. . .

Edited by Triop

1 minute ago, Triop said:

I'm all for that too.

We need more confirmed drivers, I'd like to set up a F-1 challenge for minimal 6 people.

So far as I know; you, Gaarst, purpleivan and myself keep this upcoming challenge alive.

I hope more dedicated serious racers will join this. . .

Hopefully more come along, I'd like to see this competition grow. Also, since you'd like to set up and F-1 challenge would you like it if I made a low part count F-1 car for everyone to use?

1 minute ago, LABenterprises said:

Hopefully more come along, I'd like to see this competition grow. Also, since you'd like to set up and F-1 challenge would you like it if I made a low part count F-1 car for everyone to use?

Not at all, I did that kinda with sharing my buggy.

I really do want people who only want to drive a fast car to participate, to me driving is more important than designing in this challenge.

I mean, you are a designer, wouldn't you love the idea somebody else can drive your designed car faster than you ?

Best compliment ever. &)

On 10/6/2018 at 6:08 PM, Triop said:

But I also think the Tesla's should have a chance, @GDJ might be joining this I hope. :cool:

I will do so if I can spare a couple of hours.

The Tesla's are formidable. ^_^

2 minutes ago, Triop said:

Not at all, I did that kinda with sharing my buggy.

I really do want people who only want to drive a fast car to participate, to me driving is more important than designing in this challenge.

I mean, you are a designer, wouldn't you love the idea somebody else can drive your designed car faster than you ?

Best compliment ever. &)

It would be nice to see someone else lap one of my cars faster than me. As the designer I think you're actually somewhat limited when it comes to setting a fast lap. You envision the car, plan the car, build it, test it through countless trial and error, and finally find satisfaction in it. You sort of build a relationship with it as you develop it's personality, but in those last few hours of fine tuning your ready for it to be over and done already. After finishing my cars, while I am proud of them I rarely drive them afterwards. I think a good driver who hasn't had to go through the frustration of perfecting a car would certainly be faster at setting a lap.

As a bit of fun I thought I'd try taking my 6 wheeled racing rover and sticking a couple of jets on it for a little extra grunt.

I mean what could possibly go wrong.

It's a fine vehicle on a flat track with with (very) wide turns, but is unpredicatable when it takes air from a small jump, like that over the runway. Its pilot discovered this behaviour when it dumped him out on landing the other side of the runway, then made a break for it... upside down of course.

MmBloEa.png

Oi... come back here.

bbOSpQ9.png

Uh oh... headed towards the VAB.

tkO644B.png

Well, it's headed somewhere.

GRwkPL4.png

That doesn't look good.

f6b2qNy.png

That'll buff out.

OKlMNcq.png

Not the same event (had to set this one up) but here's some video of Destructo the adorable runaway rover.

Edited by purpleivan

On 10/7/2018 at 4:00 PM, LABenterprises said:

While they do take time to deploy, once they have the benefits can be enormous. Over time my cars have gotten heavier and faster, so airbrakes are really the only way to slow them down quickly. I like to use the Big-S elevon since when it's fully deployed it generates plenty of drag.

I don't think I ever build up enough speed that airbrakes could make a big difference, but I'll definitely give it a try.

14 hours ago, Triop said:

@Gaarst I have changed the position of the gates on Monka, what do you think ?

If you feel like it makes it easier for people to find their way around, then go for it. It's a bit hard for me to judge since I've made the course.

14 hours ago, Triop said:

I'm also thinking of doing 6 laps per race, I guess it's do-able.

It's hard to keep concentration, but that's part of the challenge I think.

I could do fastest laps and races in different categories.

Again, tell me what you guys think ?

I think fastest laps and race time in different categories is a good idea. What we could do is a small championship with a points system and ranking based on the total time and add bonus points for the drive who has the fastest lap.

11 hours ago, Triop said:

Good to hear that.

How many Grand Prix should we do ?

6 tracks or 12 ?

I'd like to make the challenge as close to F-1 as we can get.

If we get 12 tracks then 12 GPs is good I guess. It may be a lot for newcomers but if we keep separate leaderboards for individual tracks then people can just race around a single track.

10 hours ago, Triop said:

MONKA  by @Gaarst

I like the negative camber idea, I may steal that one!

11 hours ago, LABenterprises said:

I think a "public" starting car for everyone to try is a good idea, it may get people in the challenge if they don't initially want to spend the time designing their own.

I suggest 12 races , 6 laps each.

Each week a new race, e.g: week 1 - race 1.

Winner gets 10 points, #2 gets 9 points etc.

Fastest lap gets 2 extra points.

Should we register drivers first or do we let anyone enter ?

I'm afraid "newcomers" won't last 12 races and mess up the scores....

6 hours ago, Gaarst said:

I like the negative camber idea, I may steal that one!

I even recommend it. :cool:

9 hours ago, purpleivan said:

and sticking a couple of jets on it for a little extra grunt.

I like the idea of a reversed KERS system. :lol:

With a little less power this might help me on the long straights.

78EHHMA.png

jLS543o.png

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Edited by Triop

4 hours ago, Gaarst said:

I'll be looking into making new tracks as well, gotta get the 12 of them.

Thanks. :cool:

@LABenterprises I am adding the LAB test track, but we need a cooler name.

Any ideas ?

It's the same for me with the Kerbal One, It needs a better name.     I'm naming my track "Kolder" (Zolder, belgium)

some inspiration for names:

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_circuits

On 10/6/2018 at 7:25 PM, LABenterprises said:

Kurburgring

I'll start now on this track, we can't race without this legendary track from @He_162 :cool:

I understand now LABenterprises is the original designer. ^_^

Edited by Triop

I forgot about an important thing, electric, lf engines or both ?

And what about mods ?

We can't have to many seperate categories if we don't have much drivers.

I suggest stock, 4 wheels, electric (nuclear)

But who am I...

Any suggestions ?

I've come up with 3 new tracks:

• Ska, because if you look from very far it has a somewhat similar shape as Spa:

3iJzTsB.png

It may be a good idea to add a gate between gate 9 (above the R&D dome) and the kink at gate 10 and 11 since right now you can pretty much go from gate 9 to 12 by cutting corners a bit. Edit: I've just done this, redownload the track if you already had it.

• Hunkaroring, the straight looks the same as the real one (a bit): (I haven't driven through that one yet, the straight can be extended if you feel it is too short) Edit: I've made the straight just a bit longer, redownload the track if you already had it.

wcz9Kca.png

• Paul Kerman, I ran out of excuses for names at that point:

yxRz4C0.png

1 hour ago, Triop said:

And what about mods ?

But who am I...

Any suggestions ?

For categories I'd suggest "wheel-driven cars" and "reaction-powered cars", stock only. Wheel-driven is everything that uses electric wheels as the only source of propulsion, it doesn't matter where the electricity comes from (RTG, fuel cell, solar panels...), reaction-powered is everything that uses something else to make the car go forward, ie: jets and rocket engines, rover wheels still allowed in that category. There can be a single separate modded category, it's going to be very hard to balance anyway since there are so many mods that could give someone an advantage.

Maybe no aero in the wheel-driven category to keep things simple, but stick as much wings as you want in your jet car (which it will need since they will be faster). I'm not sure about only 4 wheels, on one hand having people racing 20-wheelers for a greater PWR is a bit ridiculous, on the other the P34 was a thing; maybe maximum 4 driven wheels? (and it'd be fun to see 3-wheelers)
As I've said earlier, I'd be in favour of banning SAS and active aero (except for braking) for both categories, basically have only your wheels turning you; and maybe limiting either mass or thrust.

Edited by Gaarst

4 hours ago, Triop said:

I suggest 12 races , 6 laps each.

Each week a new race, e.g: week 1 - race 1.

Winner gets 10 points, #2 gets 9 points etc.

Fastest lap gets 2 extra points.

Should we register drivers first or do we let anyone enter ?

I'm afraid "newcomers" won't last 12 races and mess up the scores....

I even recommend it. :cool:

I like what you've got so far. I think to keep things better organized we should register competitors first.

2 hours ago, Triop said:

As you can see I'm working on new tracks, we can't take forever preparing. ^_^

True, I'll be sure to come up with a few as well. How many tracks do we have now?

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Thanks. :cool:

@LABenterprises I am adding the LAB test track, but we need a cooler name.

Any ideas ?

It's the same for me with the Kerbal One, It needs a better name.     I'm naming my track "Kolder" (Zolder, belgium)

some inspiration for names:

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_circuits

How about, Kazuka?

1 hour ago, Triop said:

And what about mods ?

But who am I...

Any suggestions ?

I prefer lf since it's easier to make a car fast without sacrificing aesthetics. We should probably keep things stock.

Edited by LABenterprises

30 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

I've come up with 3 new tracks:

Got em, will test.

28 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

I like what you've got so far. I think to keep things better organized we should register competitors first.

I agree, but we need more competitors, at least 6 to be a proper grand prix.

How many tracks do we have now?

The amount keeps growing by the minute. :cool:EDIT 9 tracks so far.

How about, Kazuka?

Briljant, wish I came up with that, done test track is now Kazuka.

I prefer lf since it's easier to make a car fast without sacrificing aesthetics. We should probably keep things stock.

I see, there is no way around lf engines.

Since that is a fact, can somebody make a short tutorial on lf cars (stock) and wings ?

I love to try, but I have no idea where to begin...

Also:

NEW TRACK: KURBURGRING

Really proud of this one, I hope my gates will do the track justice. &)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw240skq9jjwvhd/Kurburgring.krt?dl=0

9lloR5o.png

Edited by Triop

19 minutes ago, Triop said:

I see, there is no way around lf engines.

Since that is a fact, can somebody make a short tutorial on lf cars (stock) and wings ?

I love to try, but I have no idea where to begin...

I can take care of this. I've been building jet powered cars for over a year now.

20 minutes ago, Triop said:

NEW TRACK: KURBURGRING

Really proud of this one, I hope my gates will do the track justice. &)

As the guy who created this circuit, I can tell you that you did amazing!

14 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

I can take care of this. I've been building jet powered cars for over a year now.

As the guy who created this circuit, I can tell you that you did amazing!

Cool.

So it's not HE_162 track ?

I assumed that since it started in his challenge.

I will give you credits for the track (It says forum now), I'll update it in the new tracklist. &)

tJeq16o.png

Edited by Triop

6 minutes ago, Triop said:

Cool.

So it's not HE_162 track ?

I assumed that since it started in his challenge.

I will give you credits for the track (It says forum now), I'll update it in the new tracklist. &)

I created the track and it was @He_162's idea to create a challenge for it. Thanks for the credit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.