Münwalk - Walking in Artificial Gravity

nubeees

Münwalk!

An acceleration-based motion system for kerbals

This is my first C# plugin for KSP, so progress has been pretty slow.

What works so far:

• Button that orients kerbal based on acceleration
  • Animations
  • Movement
  • "Airplane mode" (Disable drag on kerbal)

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/WbGulQr

Current problems:

• Kerbal "trips" every couple of steps.
  • Jumping does not apply enough upwards force.
  • Kerbal cannot un-ragdoll while on a moving vehicle in contact with the ground or ocean.
  • On centrifuges kerbal will lean.
  • Activating Munwalk while kerbal is on ladder may disable gravity on the kerbal for some reason...

Download is here:

https://spacedock.info/mod/2021/Kerbal Munwalk

License: MIT

Updates:

Spoiler

8/19/19 

I've returned! spaghetti code sourcecode now available to look at- at your own peril, its a mess- and the mod is now properly licensed as it should've been since release.

I'll continue to superficially support Munwalk-- if you DM me saying its having issues I'll try my hand at fixing said issues. However, munwalk has outgrown my knowledge of KSP and its engine.

If another modder would like to pick up where I left off, I'd be grateful!

10/3/18 

I've entirely overhauled the code to not be such a mess, experimented with applying the "walk" force at the kerbal's feet (still working on that), and have now averaged acceleration across five calculation frames (every other frame calculates acceleration, so forces aren't applied at the same time acceleration is calculated).

10/9/18 

Animation-based movement proved to be futile; for whatever reason I could not get the foot colliders as I'd hoped. Fortunately, with a bit of tweaking moving by applying force to the kerbal seems to work perfectly fine! Aside from the fact that a kerbal can't walk backwards without tripping... Little bit of tweaking needed there.

I've removed the debug acceleration arrow and will soon be looking into fixing it up for a public release!

12/1/18

Happy December, everyone!

I've released the first public iteration of Munwalk today! Go play with it! In my next release I'll probably add buttons to control how many frames the accel vector is smoothed over. 

Edited by nubeees
Added default license on SpaceDock to OP

this is the ultimate challenge for a mod to have artificial gravity (especially if you build star cruisers with internal areas like me) would be the ultimate game changer, only way i can logic this in my head (i am no modder) is to have the kerbal have 0 velocity and attributes of kerbin when you select a certain part to walk on (in my case im using wing parts for my floors and walls etc). Even if we cannot have inertial damping effect while the craft is moving would still be a massive game change just being able to walk on the part of your choice in zero g while the craft is stationary i hope you crack this ill be watching this post too good luck :D

7 hours ago, ThePixeledFox said:

this is the ultimate challenge for a mod to have artificial gravity (especially if you build star cruisers with internal areas like me) would be the ultimate game changer, only way i can logic this in my head (i am no modder) is to have the kerbal have 0 velocity and attributes of kerbin when you select a certain part to walk on (in my case im using wing parts for my floors and walls etc). Even if we cannot have inertial damping effect while the craft is moving would still be a massive game change just being able to walk on the part of your choice in zero g while the craft is stationary i hope you crack this ill be watching this post too good luck :D

This sort of space opra-like artificial gravity could be done pretty easily if I can get acceleration-based kerbal movement working. Simply have a 'gravity field' that pulls all kerbals in the ship's relative 'down' direction, and perhaps inertia dampeners which impart a force to counteract acceleration from the parent ship.

It would be a separate mod from this, but its entirely possible.

3 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

I literally made a part to test rovers with instead of giant rings made from hundreds of structural plates should you want to use it. Might help.

I might take you up on that offer lmao

1 hour ago, SpaceMouse said:

https://spacedock.info/mod/764/SpaceMouse's very alpha parts pack

The part needs to be set-up radially with 8 way symmetry on a few support parts. The mods outdated but it used no plugins so it shouldn't make any difference.

Will try. The centrifuge especially looks promising. My current test centrifuge is more of a 'dumbbell' style, but it doesn't curve as it should so it can be difficult to work with.

2 minutes ago, nubeees said:

Will try. The centrifuge especially looks promising. My current test centrifuge is more of a 'dumbbell' style, but it doesn't curve as it should so it can be difficult to work with.

Old KSP versions used to have physics issues with it. a rover wheel would randomly explode when it touched it. Updates seemed to have fixed it.

3 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

my coding xp is near zero ,but i see ur mod and think on this maybe help a little. long ago i was interestet in a magnetic boots mod ,but ksp is very flunky in  Kerbal-movement on things the move

maybe u can make something like this?

Looking through that mod's sourcecode makes me feel like a complete noob lol

Thanks for the link! I think a complete overhaul of how I'm handling walking is now in order :)

yeah ive been watching that thread too hehe, is a good idea but if THIS idea gets cracked ? omg will make my internal deck areas on my ships usable !!!!! no more floating around between rooms ! the real thiiiiiiing !

even if it cant be done while moving ? im happy to be able to walk around my ship in orbit ! this together with KSPIE = my life is complete ! :D

Edited by ThePixeledFox

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, nubeees said:

Download is up for anyone who wants to play with Munwalk! :)

Hello but you didn't really publish your mod on SpaceDock, please check twice. You need to click "Publish This Mod" or something else on your page to make it available.

Also you need to put your license in OP. Please choose one before the first release.

1 hour ago, Acea said:

Hello but you didn't really publish your mod on SpaceDock, please check twice. You need to click "Publish This Mod" or something else on your page to make it available.

Also you need to put your license in OP. Please choose one before the first release.

Thank you! I've never actually used Spacedock before. That explains why it didn't seem quite right.

Should be available now

Edited by nubeees

• 8 months later...

Update:

I'm back home, which means I was finally able to upload the sourcecode to comply with the Kerbal Space Program addon guidelines. Thank you to Stone Blue for bringing this to my attention!

I'm going to be leaving Munwalk in a semi-orphaned state. If something is severely broken, I'll try my hand at fixing it, however it has outgrown my understanding of KSP and its game engine.

If another modder would like to pick up where I left off I'd be grateful! Also, for those interested, I apologize for my code being such a mess.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:52 AM, nubeees said:

Update:

I'm back home, which means I was finally able to upload the sourcecode to comply with the Kerbal Space Program addon guidelines. Thank you to Stone Blue for bringing this to my attention!

I'm going to be leaving Munwalk in a semi-orphaned state. If something is severely broken, I'll try my hand at fixing it, however it has outgrown my understanding of KSP and its game engine.

If another modder would like to pick up where I left off I'd be grateful! Also, for those interested, I apologize for my code being such a mess.

Are these still problems (from the OP): 

• Kerbal "trips" every couple of steps.
  • Jumping does not apply enough upwards force.
  • Kerbal cannot un-ragdoll while on a moving vehicle in contact with the ground or ocean.
  • On centrifuges kerbal will lean.
  • Activating Munwalk while kerbal is on ladder may disable gravity on the kerbal for some reason...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.